Devils Fans in the NHL

Colin226

Reality check. I've lived in Monmouth since 1966. I still count 2 to 1 Rag fans over Devs fans all the time. I was at a place called the Fireside Bar taking a friend out who got a major college basketball head coaching job during the playoffs. This is in Freehold by Marlboro. They had Ranger sh!t on the walls and when I asked a server WTF???, he tells me, "This is a Rangers bar". Of course I was pissed and vowed to go there later in the series, never did though.

Moore's Tavern in Freehold had fistfights after Game 6.

Mike Haviland and his family were all Ranger fans.

Then.......during the finals at an event at Manalapan Rec park, I jostled with about 8 little kids who were all rooting for the Kings because they were all transplanted Ranger fan families.

Not as supportive as you'd think.

Yeah I went to high school in the district and I've also done observation hours in another school in the district as well. Definitely a ton of Ranger fans. Manalapan will always have a ton of wannabe New Yorkers.

Go east though. During the playoffs, all the Shore towns were painted red. They had a viewing party in Edgar's in Manasquan/Brielle. Squan Tavern is certainly a Devils bar. At the boardwalk at Point, I would make it a point to wear Devils stuff. Incredible amount of high fives. Brick will always be Jimmy Dowdsville. Belmar this summer I have seen a ton of Devils stuff.

Always replying with a "Let's go Devils" or something else pro Devils related.

Edited by Devils Pride 26

Since the consensus is all over the place that further proves central jersey idea is nonsense. I live in somerset county and I've had many people say I'm I'm central jersey and equally as many say I'm in north jersey. Hell I've heard a few say central jersey is between 80 and 195. That's just nuts.

The way I explained how there is a north and south jersey makes it clear cut and organized.

Also I noticed every person whom I told they were in north jersey when they insisted they are central had no complaints about it. It's only the people who are in south jersey who keep insisting they are in central jersey and desperately do not want to be known as being in south jersey. I'm looking at you Monmouth county people with that one.

I can understand where you are coming from since I grew up in the town next to you, though I was pretty much directly on the border of Morris, Union, and Somerset counties so that adds to the confusion. I'd say people up here are split on whether or not we are north or central jersey while all of my friends at Monmouth University say I'm north jersey and though they are geographically central, I always feel like I'm in south jersey when I'm there or chilling with friends in Trenton.

My own personal radical view on New Jersey is this: North Jersey, North Central Jersey, West Jersey, South Central Jersey, Jersey Shore, and South Jersey. (I'd get more technical on dividing lines if I wasn't so tired but I really feel like you can split it up like this.)

So I can consider myself in North Central Jersey being in the town at the southernmost point of Morris County.

An easy way to solve this is to go to a local modell's and see what gear they are selling. The Monmouth mall sells philly, nj, and ny stuff; therefore I claim Monmouth county is indeed "Central Jersey." Also, It's tough to say if Belmar is more Devils or Rangers because all the guidos drive down from NY to fist-pump at Djais every summer.

I live in Jackson, which is literally the geographic center of NJ. Since we are ocean county here, using a county level is just silly. Any of the towns nearby would therefore be Central NJ. Freehold, Millstone, Brick, Manchester, etc. East of Jackson is the shore region and Toms River doesn't call themselves Central jersey for a reason. Hamilton and west starts becoming Philly tv region.

Central jersey mostly exists in the minds of South Jersey people who don't want to be called South Jersey. Also I would not go by county as for Middlesex you have Piscataway that is most certainly North Jersey while areas like Dayton and Cranbury are certainly South Jersey.

Would you stop it already, my God. :rolleyes:

So by your estimation, there is no "Central Jersey", and anyone south of you is South Jersey.

You've hit the nail on the head........I am too ashamed to admit to someone with no clue from whatever Northern County to say I'm from 'South Jersey', therefore I have to go with the mythical "Central Jersey".

There must be no Central America either, I'm guessing.

Would you stop it already, my God. :rolleyes:

So by your estimation, there is no "Central Jersey", and anyone south of you is South Jersey.

You've hit the nail on the head........I am too ashamed to admit to someone with no clue from whatever Northern County to say I'm from 'South Jersey', therefore I have to go with the mythical "Central Jersey".

There must be no Central America either, I'm guessing.

I never said anyone south of me is South Jersey. I said anyone south of the line that runs directly from the Driscoll Bridge to Trenton is south jersey. Most of Monmouth County therefore is South Jersey.

Central America is much different culturally than the rest of North America (US & Canada) while central jersey has no defining culture that is different than North or South Jersey.

Also if you want to be technical, if you look on any map those Central American countries are technically counted as North America. :whistling:

Edited by DevsMan84

Central jersey mostly exists in the minds of South Jersey people who don't want to be called South Jersey. Also I would not go by county as for Middlesex you have Piscataway that is most certainly North Jersey while areas like Dayton and Cranbury are certainly South Jersey.

...I am from East Brunswick, and it's south of Piscataway and north of Cranbury, does this mean I get to say I'm from Central Jersey? :rolleyes:

But seriously, central Jersey exists between South Jersey and North Jersey.

Can you blame them? :lol:

Not like anybody here cares, but this reminds me of the ongoing debate as to where upstate NY starts. Most people in NYC say it's anything north of the city or anything north of the Tappan Zee Bridge. Others say the dividing line is Kingston or Poughkeepsie. A few weirdos think upstate NY doesn't begin until you hit the Adirondacks.

Can you blame them? :lol:

Not like anybody here cares, but this reminds me of the ongoing debate as to where upstate NY starts. Most people in NYC say it's anything north of the city or anything north of the Tappan Zee Bridge. Others say the dividing line is Kingston or Poughkeepsie. A few weirdos think upstate NY doesn't begin until you hit the Adirondacks.

I always thought that it was weird how New Rochelle and Yonkers were considered "upstate NY" when they're just 15 minutes from the city lol

When I think of upstate NY I think of places like Buffalo, Rochester, Syracuse, the Adirondacks and Niagra Falls

Edited by SMantzas

I never said anyone south of me is South Jersey. I said anyone south of the line that runs directly from the Driscoll Bridge to Trenton is south jersey. Most of Monmouth County therefore is South Jersey.

Central America is much different culturally than the rest of North America (US & Canada) while central jersey has no defining culture that is different than North or South Jersey.

Also if you want to be technical, if you look on any map those Central American countries are technically counted as North America. :whistling:

While Central Jersey is more closely related to Northern New Jersey than South, it still has its own cultural distinctions that distinguish it from the north imo

Farmland, open space, a little slower pace, more friendly

It truly is a mix. You can have farms on one side of the town and the other side can be built up and plenty of townhouses and developments. Think Colts Neck, Howell.

Drive south of exit 60 on the Parkway and it literally is a different world. I went camping down in the Pine Barrens this summer. Southern drawl and dialect that might as well be Alabama. Farms for miles.

It truly is a mix. You can have farms on one side of the town and the other side can be built up and plenty of townhouses and developments. Think Colts Neck, Howell.

As diverse as Upper Freehold Township to Asbury Park

Drive south of exit 60 on the Parkway and it literally is a different world. I went camping down in the Pine Barrens this summer. Southern drawl and dialect that might as well be Alabama. Farms for miles.

The actual true Sourth Jersey. Spent four wonderful years at Stockton State, right in the heart of the Pine Barrens.

Monmouth County Devils fan checking in. There's definitely a pretty healthy mix of Rangers and Devils fans here because of how many transplanted New Yorkers there are, but the Devils fan population continues to grow, especially as the 80's and 90's kids get older, because they seem to be picking the Devils, which in turn is converting parents as well. Also, I've met a bunch of transplants from NYC who took to the Devils once moving here. I think the biggest reason you have so many young Devils fans here though is that hockey continues to grow in the county and it pretty much started when the Devils came to be and really boomed with the Cup wins. For a lot of young people, myself included, that was our first big exposure to hockey in the 90's (I was 7 in '95). It created a lot of first generation Devils fans, who are now growing up and starting to start families of their own and you're starting to get the first of the second-generation Devils fans.

Also, the argument against there being a "central Jersey" is hilarious. To call this area South Jersey is just nonsense. South Jersey might as well be the actual south. Hell, there's a fvcking rodeo down there. Monmouth, Ocean, etc. all take a bit of culture from both North and South and create something different with a mix of the the two. I can't believe that's even being debated. If you've ever been to REAL South Jersey and consider it comparable to the suburbs and shore areas here, then you're just being ignorant, plain and simple. Totally different worlds.

• Like 1

Monmouth County Devils fan checking in. There's definitely a pretty healthy mix of Rangers and Devils fans here because of how many transplanted New Yorkers there are, but the Devils fan population continues to grow, especially as the 80's and 90's kids get older, because they seem to be picking the Devils, which in turn is converting parents as well. Also, I've met a bunch of transplants from NYC who took to the Devils once moving here. I think the biggest reason you have so many young Devils fans here though is that hockey continues to grow in the county and it pretty much started when the Devils came to be and really boomed with the Cup wins. For a lot of young people, myself included, that was our first big exposure to hockey in the 90's (I was 7 in '95). It created a lot of first generation Devils fans, who are now growing up and starting to start families of their own and you're starting to get the first of the second-generation Devils fans.

Also, the argument against there being a "central Jersey" is hilarious. To call this area South Jersey is just nonsense. South Jersey might as well be the actual south. Hell, there's a fvcking rodeo down there. Monmouth, Ocean, etc. all take a bit of culture from both North and South and create something different with a mix of the the two. I can't believe that's even being debated. If you've ever been to REAL South Jersey and consider it comparable to the suburbs and shore areas here, then you're just being ignorant, plain and simple. Totally different worlds.

This is where I think people run into trouble. My area is FAR from the "south". If you ever came to Mount Laurel, Marlton, Cherry Hill, Moorestown, Medford etc etc, you'd see it's just as developed as any other area in the North. I realize that the Pine Barrens make up a large area of SJ, but the real population hubs are in Burlington and Camden counties

This is where I think people run into trouble. My area is FAR from the "south". If you ever came to Mount Laurel, Marlton, Cherry Hill, Moorestown, Medford etc etc, you'd see it's just as developed as any other area in the North. I realize that the Pine Barrens make up a large area of SJ, but the real population hubs are in Burlington and Camden counties

Oh, I know there are areas down there that are not like that, but the majority is. I have a friend who lives in Haddonfield and I love it down there, but that area is also made up of Philly suburbs pretty much, so of course it's gonna be more developed. The shore areas/Atlantic City and the western areas near Philly and Trenton have people, but that ENTIRE area in between is like an entirely different world.

Such as?

I've been to South Jersey (More specifically Gloucester County & Franklinville and to someone that has lived in North Jersey their whole life you wouldn't even think that you are still in the same state. Very rural, slower pace. Lots of farm land...

Reminds me more of a part of the Southern United States then what I am used to. Not saying that it's a bad thing. (Minus all the Philly sports fans) but the differences between that and say...Morris County and Denville/Rockaway are night and day.

Edited by TheMazz