Devils getting rid of R&R part 2 as their goal song?

DevsMan84

Scott O'Neill's opening remarks about coming on board as CEO seemed to indicate that they wanted to increase their corporate presence.  Obnoxious 20 somethings are certainly better than nothing, but they don't often buy club seats or boxes.

Yeah, but in numbers that's about 15% of your audience.   Obviously a far larger share of revenue but it's a bad time.   Keep in mind when they did renewals last year there was this guy playing for the team that isn't anymore.    They're going to have it rough with renewals next year unless they have a good season.  I really, really would not poke the bear this year.

Loved R&R Part 2, but at the same time, it is possible to move on from it.

If the Devils were this hellbent on getting rid of it, why the hell they didn't start test-driving some other songs during the preseason, or at least INFORM the fanbase well ahead of time that R&R Part 2 was going away for good, I have no idea, but the geniuses who actually thought that springing a pile-of-sh!t song like that Bon Jovi trainwreck on the opening night crowd was a good idea don't get a do-over here, unfortunately.  That's what I find more aggravating about it than anything else...it was just so fvcking ARROGANT. 

Hopefully, they're now going to come up with solid choices (and not waste our time with a "This is our house" equivalent), and this gets sorted out quickly.  R&R Part 2 was a great tradition for the most part, but it's done now, and it's not worth dwelling on.  But I believe 100% that there IS a good goal song that a good majority will be able to get behind.  It's just going to take a little work to find it.

And in case these boneheads can't figure it out for themselves:

Not everyone in NJ loves Bon Jovi.

Not everyone in NJ loves Bruce Springsteen.

In fact, a lot of people from NJ despise BOTH of them, and couldn't care less that they come from NJ. 

Pick goal songs based on how well they'll work as goal songs, not by where the performers hail from. 

I'm pretty sure there's no way to prevent royalties being paid to someone when they're rightfully earned. Even if the guy is a convicted pedophile.

They would have had to prove the actual making of the song was linked to the crimes and was part of it and thus not legally earned income. I think. I'm not a lawyer though.

While I am not familiar with the particulars of Garry Glitters case, there are means by which future earnings are used to compensate crime victims. In NY they're called Son of Sam laws.

If the Devils were this hellbent on getting rid of it, why the hell they didn't start test-driving some other songs during the preseason, or at least INFORM the fanbase well ahead of time that R&R Part 2 was going away for good, I have no idea, but the geniuses who actually thought that springing a pile-of-sh!t song like that Bon Jovi trainwreck on the opening night crowd was a good idea don't get a do-over here, unfortunately.  That's what I find more aggravating about it than anything else...it was just so fvcking ARROGANT. 

This right here is kind of why I think the Devils are in for more of a pushback from the fans than they think. People are mad about what was done, how it was done and of course, the timing of it all. I could see this getting really ugly and carrying on for awhile. Also, keep in mind that there are people who don't read any of this, who are gonna go to a game unassuming, hear a different song, and react all over again. I'm certain that they really have no plan on what they're doing and just do sh!t on a whim and hope for the best. This could be the time it backfires the biggest.

Edited by PWW

And in case these boneheads can't figure it out for themselves:

Not everyone in NJ loves Bon Jovi.

Not everyone in NJ loves Bruce Springsteen.

In fact, a lot of people from NJ despise BOTH of them, and couldn't care less that they come from NJ. 

Pick goal songs based on how well they'll work as goal songs, not by where the performers hail from. 

Well here is the obvious thing from the the people complaining: They are about 17-24 and male on average. That's a kind of group that probably really isn't into JBJ or Bruce at all. So it's almost insult to injury for that group. You can have a new goal song that people might complain about because it isn't RR2, but eventually come to enjoy, but that isn't going to be JBJ.

it was just so fvcking ARROGANT.

This sums up the Devils front office this year. From them calling season ticket holders ticket brokers and to them saying we can't print OUR tickets until 48 hrs before the game so they can make more money off nhl ticket exchange. Everything about them is arrogant this year.

The Devils front office can go fvck themselves this year.

While I am not familiar with the particulars of Garry Glitters case, there are means by which future earnings are used to compensate crime victims. In NY they're called Son of Sam laws.

He was convicted under UK law though, right? I'm not terribly familiar with the case.

This right here is kind of why I think the Devils are in for more of a pushback from the fans than they think. People are mad. About what was done and how it was done and of course, the timing of it all. I could see this getting really ugly and carrying on for awhile. Also, keep in mind that there are people who don't read any of this, who are gonna go to a game unassuming, here a different song, and react all over again. I'm certain that they really have no plan on what they're doing and just do sh!t on a whim and hope for the best. This could be the time it backfires the biggest.

Giving your fans the finger is never a good idea, and that's how this comes off.  Like I've said, I don't have a problem with the organization deciding that R&R Part 2 had run its course, but they couldn't have possibly handled it any worse than they did, and I'm amazed that there was absolutely zero common sense behind how it was handled. 

Be friggin' HONEST with your fanbase.  Tell them that you are indeed doing away with R&R Part 2, and tell them WHY.  Do it well ahead of time, so the fans have time to digest and accept the idea.  Yes, there would have been some backlash initially, but it's amazing what being forthright will do for you. 

After that, make it clear that you are accepting suggestions, and open up a link where suggestions can be sent.  Also make it clear that the five most-sent-in suggestions will be posted, and the final choice will be put to a fan vote.  If the higher-ups are THAT concerned about "suck" making its way into the new goal song, then find the top five that aren't really conducive to "suck" being a part of it.

No, not everyone will be happy with the final choice (and no song exists that is going to have 100% universal appeal), but at least the fans would have felt somewhat involved from the very beginning, which would have made a world of difference.  I don't know how this got so loused up, but I'd LOVE to discuss it with the idiots who were clearly clueless here.  The thought process had to have been comical in its incompetence.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

"Sucks" is too controversial and you think they're going to use a RATM track?

It has nothing to do with the song or singers. It's the fans.

If it was the song or the lyrics, then they wouldn't play so many of the songs they already play.

The problem is with the Hey Song, they are SANCTIONING a crowd chant that's somewhat derogatory.

RATM is better than Gary Glitter if you want to get into that discussion.

Edited by HellOnICE

Loved R&R Part 2, but at the same time, it is possible to move on from it.

That's kind of where I'm at with it. It felt like someone chose the goal song because it was someone who's not from New Jersey deciding what they thought someone from New Jersey would like. It's just kind of cheesy and dumb. And as many others have mentioned, doesn't work.

Frankly I'm okay with just about anything else at this point, but I actually really hope we DON'T go back to Rock & Roll Part II. Change it from Bon Jovi, absolutely, but don't just go back.  In a perfect world, I'd like to see Howl by Gaslight Anthem or Ole by Bouncing Souls - both of which have been previously mentioned, work very well as goal songs, and have the added benefit of being by bands from New Jersey who aren't incredibly cheesy.

(For that matter, I'd like to know who was in charge of the overall music playlist Friday - did we play a single song from the last 20 years, besides Macklemore? I know classic rock and whatnot is big, but my god, the 80s ended 23 years ago guys.)

He was convicted under UK law though, right? I'm not terribly familiar with the case.
It might depend on where the money would be earned. So theoretically, if he sues the Devils for not paying royalties, he has to do so in an American court. On a side note, I was googling this issue, and ran across a story where the Pats stopped playing Rock and Roll Part II in favor of This is Our House.
I thought Ole was great. The more I listen to this song's hook...it'd be awesome on high and repeat. [iFrame][/iFrame]
Don't the Canadians use that song? Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Well here is the obvious thing from the the people complaining: They are about 17-24 and male on average. That's a kind of group that probably really isn't into JBJ or Bruce at all. So it's almost insult to injury for that group. You can have a new goal song that people might complain about because it isn't RR2, but eventually come to enjoy, but that isn't going to be JBJ.

I'm 24 and I like Springsteen. Jovi not so much but if they can come up with a good Springsteen goal horn i'd be open to it.

The sad thing is they think if they stop playing the song, the fans will stop saying "you suck." Well I'm sure everyone who was at the game on Friday heard otherwise, so nothing would stop them from saying that..

Yet another way that the manner in which this was handled backfired...now you've got enough of the "you suck"ers determined to say fvck you right back.  Even if they didn't intend for this to happen, there's clearly very much an "Us vs. Them" thing going on now.  The organization could've worked with their fans on this, but chose to work against them.  So stupid and preventable. 

Yet another way that the manner in which this was handled backfired...now you've got enough of the "you suck"ers determined to say fvck you right back.  Even if they didn't intend for this to happen, there's clearly very much an "Us vs. Them" thing going on now.  The organization could've worked with their fans on this, but chose to work against them.  So stupid and preventable. 

Bingo. Had they done this the right way of course you still would've had people who didn't like it, but not nearly what you have now. Some people might've still tried to start chants and boo, but it would've been isolated. Now it's become a united effort of fans who are pissed off and are gonna rebel because well, fvck you, that's why. Work with the fans and some will turn and join your cause and work with you and might even try to get other fans to see the other side. Blindside the fans and well, you have a united enemy and a sh!tstorm on your hands. It's gonna be an interesting next couple of home games and frankly, I'm kinda excited to see how this plays out.

im really not opposed to changing the goal song, they just should have a vote like the Islanders did on there website for a goal horn.  They had the fans vote on the top 3 or 4 songs PICKED BY THE PLAYERS.   The devils should just do something like that, but at least let the paying fans vote bc clearly there front office has BAD taste in what makes a good goal song. 

Damage control really shouldn't be that hard...hell, the schedule couldn't be more conducive to that, with the nice long road trip.

A public apology would help immensely...yeah, it will be some emotionless, stiffly-written dreck authored by another corporate snooze, but it least it would show that the organization is aware that its poorly thought out "Plan A" pissed off its fans, and wants to make amends. 

Then involve the fans from here on out.  Hell, the Islanders involving the players was a great idea...really helps the fans to feel more of a connection to them, even if it's on a pretty minor level.

My ticket rep just emailed me telling me he doesn't think the new song is permanent.

Well, duh, bringing that disaster back would basically be telling the fans, "We don't care what you think, this your goal song and you're going to like it, end of story!"  The Devils might have been oblivious to how this would turn out, but no way in hell were they oblivious to the actual results.  No way they can possibly give that song a second game, unless they REALLY want to prove to their fanbase that they don't give a damn about them.