BEER

TrentonDevils

Haha it's not that crazy, here's a picture I just took.

post-360-0-60597900-1367609498_thumb.jpg

--Bunch of Sierra Nevada Bigfoot from 2011, 2012, and 2013
--Weyerbacher Insanity from 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, and 2012
--Brooklyn Monster Ale from 2011 and 2012

--Boulder Killer Penguin barleywine from 2011

--Dogfish Head Immort Ale from 2011

--Dogfish Head Olde School from 2012

--Oskar Blues Ten Fidy from 2012

--New Holland Pilgrim's Dole wheatwine from 2010

--Avery The Beast from I think 2010

--Dogfish Head 120 Minute IPA from 2011

--Sam Adams Triple Bock from 1997 (see footnote two posts below)

--Founders KBS from 2012 (didn't get any this year :( )

--Founders Backwoods Bastard from 2012
--Founders Bolt Cutter

--Dogfish Head 75 Minute IPA (letting it sit a few months to see how the maple flavor takes over the hops)

--and the big bottle in front is the new bourbon barrel-aged imperial stout from Kane, A Night to End All Dawns

Edited by devilsfan26
  • Like 1

Doh I just realized I totally forgot to write the footnote for the Sam Adams Triple Bock haha.  Anyway, that beer was only brewed three times, all in the 90s.  It is pretty notorious on beeradvocate.com.  I'm not sure if it was good when it was fresh or what, but somehow people have ended with bottles of it more recently, a buddy of mine and I each picked up a bottle at Joe Canal's in Iselin about two or three years ago.  We opened his up and everyone that tried some agreed it was soy sauce haha.

Here is its beeradvocate page.

And here is one guy's review of it, one of the funniest things I've ever read

Edited by devilsfan26

Damn dude thats a nice little cellar. Respect.  I haven't had a Killer Penguin since I left CO.  Love that brew.  The Beast is also a favorite.  Jealous.

I've never had The Beast.  A buddy of mine gave it to me for Christmas or something a few years ago and I've just been saving it for some celebratory occasion since it's so high in ABV it can sit around for years.

Doh I just realized I totally forgot to write the footnote for the Sam Adams Triple Bock haha.  Anyway, that beer was only brewed three times, all in the 90s.  It is pretty notorious on beeradvocate.com.  I'm not sure if it was good when it was fresh or what, but somehow people have ended with bottles of it more recently, a buddy of mine and I each picked up a bottle at Joe Canal's in Iselin about two or three years ago.  We opened his up and everyone that tried some agreed it was soy sauce haha.

Here is its beeradvocate page.

And here is one guy's review of it, one of the funniest things I've ever read

That review is amazing.  "As soon as the thick, tarry stool sample caressed my tongue, I knew I had been fundamentally changed..."

Nice collection devilsfan26!

What's the deal with Founders KBS? Was it supposed to get released in NJ this year? I know that it gets an extremely limited shipment when it does. Did I miss it yet again? I still have yet to try it.

Also I have never seen Backwoods Bastard.

Yeah KBS came and gone.  These days you generally have to be on a store's reserve list to get some and I never got a call so I guess I'm not on Joe Canal's list anymore.  Some places don't do the list and you just have to get to the store the day it comes out, or what Marketplace Wines in East Brunswick did is put together a box of 20 other Founders beers that you had to buy in order to be able to purchase a KBS.  I heard these store-made packages contained some old IPAs and pale ales that were well beyond their shelf life.  Pretty lame in my opinion. 

You used to be able to get a four pack of KBS no problem just by getting to the store on the day Founders said it would come out.  Then supposedly the Buy Rite in Jersey City got caught selling it before the release date, so Founders sent their limited release beers to use later than other states to avoid that happening again so you never really know what day it's going to be available now, and with craft beer becoming so popular over the past couple years, you're lucky if you can get your hands on one bottle these days.

Backwoods Bastard is almost as hard to find, but there's not as much hysteria about it.  It usually comes out in the fall and I think generally you have to ask for it, it probably won't be sitting on the shelf.

With some of these beers now your best bet is to check Founders' website once in a while for tap takeovers they are doing in the area.  They tend to have some of these rarer beers on tap.

Edited by devilsfan26

My brother in law has a special beer fridge just for beer with special temperature gauge just as if it were wine. That's for fresh stuff though.

Fullers Reserve, Oak aged and Vintage ales - those are indeed, of course... kept in the actual -_- beer cellar....

Since there is talk now of Founders, there is an event for a tap takeover:

May 31st at Uno's in Hamilton Twp, NJ.

Uno Chicago Grill and Brewery

Hamilton 225 Sloan Ave

Hamilton Township, NJ 08619

609-890-0864

www.unos.com

You can try many of their overrated beers at this event.

LOL, good one.

What's your favorite brewery or breweries?

LOL, good one.

What's your favorite brewery or breweries?

In no particular order:

Sam Adams

Dogfish Head

Yards

Carton

Kane

Riverhorse

Climax

Triumph - Local NJ Brewpub

Long Valley Brew Pub - Local NJ Brewpub

Allagash

Pilsner Urquell

Victory

Sorry but I have had Founders beers and they are as pretentious as they come.  I know they get outstanding reviews on Beer Advocate but I still find it hard to believe people love their beers when every single one I have had barely had any "beer" taste to it.  It's one of those beers where since so many people claim it's good, if you do not like it then "there is something wrong with you" or "you don't like a good beer" nonsense is thrown at you.

Thus is the reason why you highlighted that part and asked me what I liked.

No, no, no, that wasn't it at all! ... I think it is a good thing that we're honest here if we don't like a certain type of beer or a brewer in general. This thread won't be very informative if all we do is mention beers that we like but not ones we don't like.

I remember you saying in the past that you like pilseners and other German styles of beer. I happen to like lots of those styles of beer too -- although I do like almost every Founders brew I have tasted, LOL.

I REALLY was interested to hear what brewers you liked, HONEST, LOL.

No, no, no, that wasn't it at all! ... I think it is a good thing that we're honest here if we don't like a certain type of beer or a brewer in general. This thread won't be very informative if all we do is mention beers that we like but not ones we don't like.

I remember you saying in the past that you like pilseners and other German styles of beer. I happen to like lots of those styles of beer too -- although I do like almost every Founders brew I have tasted, LOL.

I REALLY was interested to hear what brewers you liked, HONEST, LOL.

Oh ok sorry then I apologize lol.

Every time I say to another beer nut that I am not a fan of Founders I get a reaction like I just committed an awful crime.

I do tend to like the Pilsners and other German styles.  I also have in the last year or so fallen in love with IPA's.  I do appreciate Stouts and Porters but I doubt I will ever really like them the way I like others.

Belgium styles I am on the fence on.  I guess depends on who is the brewer.

• Like 1

I would venture to guess you don't like Founders because you don't like the style they make.  If you're looking for European styles, then it's no wonder you don't like Founders, they are an American brewery making American styles of beer. 

My tastes seem to be much different than yours, I'm not that big a fan of pilsners, German beers, or Belgians, but I'm not going to discredit breweries like Weihenstephaner or Chimay.  I'm sure they make great beers if you're into those styles, but for me they are just so-so because I'm not crazy about the styles of beer they make.  Also I don't know who these people you hang out with are that always criticize you for not liking stouts or Founders' beers, but they don't sound like fun people to drink beer with.

Also I've seen people use the phrase "beer flavor" before and I never understand what exactly they mean.  It seems to me that "beer flavor" is just whatever the person saying it wants beer to taste like, but since there is such a wide variety of styles and everyone has different tastes, how can anyone really define "beer flavor?"

I would venture to guess you don't like Founders because you don't like the style they make.  If you're looking for European styles, then it's no wonder you don't like Founders, they are an American brewery making American styles of beer. 

My tastes seem to be much different than yours, I'm not that big a fan of pilsners, German beers, or Belgians, but I'm not going to discredit breweries like Weihenstephaner or Chimay.  I'm sure they make great beers if you're into those styles, but for me they are just so-so because I'm not crazy about the styles of beer they make.  Also I don't know who these people you hang out with are that always criticize you for not liking stouts or Founders' beers, but they don't sound like fun people to drink beer with.

Also I've seen people use the phrase "beer flavor" before and I never understand what exactly they mean.  It seems to me that "beer flavor" is just whatever the person saying it wants beer to taste like, but since there is such a wide variety of styles and everyone has different tastes, how can anyone really define "beer flavor?"

What exactly is "American Style" beer?  Every person I ask has a totally different definition of what am American-style beer is.  Some say its lager, some say it's stuff that Founders make, some say it is Pale Ales.  It is really just all over the place.

To me Founders tries to be experimental like Dogfish Head, but I feel that at least Dogfish keeps at least somewhat of a beer taste and feeling to them (When you cannot or barely taste any of four main ingredients of beer, then to me it is not a beer).  Founders just basically throws anything in there and hope it works.  I think they are a brewery whose reputation is masking some of the real feelings and opinions about their beers.

Also, it is not just people I hang out with who look at me like I am crazy when I say I am not a fan of Founders.  It even includes those who I meet at the bar and talk beer with them.  Apparently I cannot like true beer to almost all of them if I do not like Founders.

I like a variety of styles and while I do like the European style the most, I do appreciate the American styles (whatever that may be) of beers that craft breweries all across the country make.  I just think Founders is not that good at all.

What exactly is "American Style" beer?  Every person I ask has a totally different definition of what am American-style beer is.  Some say its lager, some say it's stuff that Founders make, some say it is Pale Ales.  It is really just all over the place.

To me Founders tries to be experimental like Dogfish Head, but I feel that at least Dogfish keeps at least somewhat of a beer taste and feeling to them (When you cannot or barely taste any of four main ingredients of beer, then to me it is not a beer).  Founders just basically throws anything in there and hope it works.  I think they are a brewery whose reputation is masking some of the real feelings and opinions about their beers.

Also, it is not just people I hang out with who look at me like I am crazy when I say I am not a fan of Founders.  It even includes those who I meet at the bar and talk beer with them.  Apparently I cannot like true beer to almost all of them if I do not like Founders.

I like a variety of styles and while I do like the European style the most, I do appreciate the American styles (whatever that may be) of beers that craft breweries all across the country make.  I just think Founders is not that good at all.

Well I wouldn't say there is a singular "American style," what I meant was the styles they make are American styles.  I haven't seen many European breweries making IPAs and imperial stouts.  That's basically what I was talking about.

I think Dogfish Head is overrated, but I still like them and when they come out with new beers I give them a shot.  I think Dogfish Head uses more outside ingredients than Founders does, but Founders does more with barrel-aging.

At the end of the day, there is a style of beer for everyone.  If you don't like it, it doesn't mean that everyone else is wrong, or conversely that they are right and you are wrong.  The way I see it, craft breweries aren't competing sports teams, they are all players on the same underdog team trying to carve out a piece of the marketplace from the mass-produced swill.  I find Dogfish Head overrated but really enjoy some of their beers and appreciate what they do for craft beer and when they come out with new beers I give them a try.  I prefer Founders over Dogfish Head and that's fine.  You prefer Dogfish Head over Founders and that's cool too.  To each their own.

Edited by devilsfan26

Interesting debate going on here.  I like both Founders and Dogfish Head but I agree a lot of their individual beers are hit and miss.  Both have concepts that just don't work for me but both also have a few beers I really like that I'd mark as staple beers and buy on a regular basis.  To each their own  :cheers:

See I think it's the barrel aging part that gets me to not like most of founders stuff. To me it's not beer if you have to barrel age it. But in the end you are right as to each their own.

I just don't like for the longest time and still to this day I do get hate from other beer nuts for the fact that I don't fall over myself in love with founders. I don't get it from this forum so I am not pointing that finger at anyone on this board but I do get a lot of it from people i have met in real life. Just tired of it

I just don't like for the longest time and still to this day I do get hate from other beer nuts for the fact that I don't fall over myself in love with founders. I don't get it from this forum so I am not pointing that finger at anyone on this board but I do get a lot of it from people i have met in real life. Just tired of it

Yeah, that's pretty lame.  I would be just as annoyed if people were getting on my case for not liking European beers.

Interesting article about how some craft brewers are going overboard with the hops:

http://www.slate.com/articles/life/drink/2013/05/hoppy_beer_is_awful_or_at_least_its_bitterness_is_ruining_craft_beer_s_reputation.html

I sorta agree with the author.  While I do like beers with plenty of hops such as Pilsners and IPA's, I feel a good portion of the craft brewing industry in the US have been going overboard with it.  At some beer festivals it almost seems like craft brewers have been throwing flavor and drinkability out the door to instead go after some dick-measuring contest as to who can put the most hops and alcohol in their beer.

On the other hand, a lot of people like those overly hoppy beers.  There's room in the craft beer marketplace for both well-balanced smooth IPAs as well as double IPA hop bombs, and I appreciate both.

I like hops too, but I tend to not like as much the Imperial IPA's as much as the regular IPA's.  The main thing is that I find it harder and harder to find good smooth IPA's as it seems every brewery is in some sort of hop "arms-race" to brew the hoppiest beer in existence.

I like hops too, but I tend to not like as much the Imperial IPA's as much as the regular IPA's.  The main thing is that I find it harder and harder to find good smooth IPA's as it seems every brewery is in some sort of hop "arms-race" to brew the hoppiest beer in existence.

For me it depends on the specific beers.  For example I like Kane's Overhead more than Head High, but I like Firestone Walker's Union Jack more than Double Jack.

Oh ok sorry then I apologize lol.

Every time I say to another beer nut that I am not a fan of Founders I get a reaction like I just committed an awful crime.

I do tend to like the Pilsners and other German styles.  I also have in the last year or so fallen in love with IPA's.  I do appreciate Stouts and Porters but I doubt I will ever really like them the way I like others.

Belgium styles I am on the fence on.  I guess depends on who is the brewer.

I like Founders, but I don't like pilsners much, and my brother likes Founders more than me and hates pilsners. I tend to like Founders powerful/heavy style more than lighter beers, so that may be why you don't like them.

We agree on IPAs and German style beers. If you're ever in St. Louis, check out Urban Chestnut. The bottles they sell are nothing special, but they have some amazing sh!t, most of it German influenced, on sight. They're building a new one, so they're expanding, and I'm hoping that means they improve some of their wholesale stuff soon.