BEER

TrentonDevils

I sorta agree with the author.  While I do like beers with plenty of hops such as Pilsners and IPA's, I feel a good portion of the craft brewing industry in the US have been going overboard with it.  At some beer festivals it almost seems like craft brewers have been throwing flavor and drinkability out the door to instead go after some dick-measuring contest as to who can put the most hops and alcohol in their beer.

It's not the amount that's the problem, it's the laziness. I love some massively hoppy beers (Stone is my favorite brewery), but you can't call it a day just because you put a ton of hops in your beer. It's the type of hops you use and how they interact with each other and the other ingredients. You can make a really hoppy, alcoholic beer with a great flavor, or you can just knock out people's taste buds and say it's good. While Stone talks a ton of trash about the hop content/knocking out taste buds, there's actually a ton going on in most of their stuff. Pliny the Younger gets mentioned in the article for having way more hops than they need, but it's a great beer. I'm not sure what they do, or if they add different kinds of hops each time, but they got something right. Good brewers know how to use hops as a tool. Worse ones use them as a crutch.

Edited by mouse

• 2 weeks later...

It's funny, I'm a self admitted hop head and I don't mind the over-hopping, so long as the beer is still tasty.  I think the over-hopping is more of a home brewer mistake as I've yet to have a craft that I felt violently overdid it, to the point I couldn't enjoy it.  Still, to each their own.

On the the Founders debate, I'm a huge fan because I love how aggressive they are but they have some missteps, the Cherise in particular.  I also love Belgians and now the weather is getting warmer, I'm all about my Belgian brews and German hefeweizens.  I had a Westmalle Tripel two weeks ago and it was phenomenal. 

Damn dude thats a nice little cellar. Respect. I haven't had a Killer Penguin since I left CO. Love that brew. The Beast is also a favorite. Jealous.

nice!

I grew up in CO, where were you at? We're you a fan of the CO Native and New Belgiums?

http://rogue.com/store/products/The-Beard-Beer.html

"It's here! Our latest brew Ddedicated to Beards, Beard Beer is brewed with a yeast created from Brewmaster John Maier's Beard. No Need to freak out, Brewers have used wild yeasts in beer making for centuries. John has had the same Old Growth Beard since 1983 and for over 15,000 brews, so it is no great suprise that a natural yeast ideal for brewing was discovered in his beard."

So who is gonna be the first to try this??

http://rogue.com/store/products/The-Beard-Beer.html

"It's here! Our latest brew Ddedicated to Beards, Beard Beer is brewed with a yeast created from Brewmaster John Maier's Beard. No Need to freak out, Brewers have used wild yeasts in beer making for centuries. John has had the same Old Growth Beard since 1983 and for over 15,000 brews, so it is no great suprise that a natural yeast ideal for brewing was discovered in his beard."

So who is gonna be the first to try this??

Not 100% if I believe that but I must say it sounds gross as hell.

nice!

I grew up in CO, where were you at? We're you a fan of the CO Native and New Belgiums?

I lived in Eagle, Boulder and LoDo. I never had the Native but I really liked many of New Belguims brews.  I've been on that tour a few times and highly recommend it if you haven't been up there.  It's full of awesome info and great beer.  For free.  I also liked Ska a lot.  And of course Odell's, Avery, Twisted Pine, Walnut Street, Boulder Beer, Breckenridge, Crazy Mountain, Left Hand....   ;)  I miss the beer scene out there.  So many to choose.

Where did you grow up? It sucks there are so many amazing Colorado beers we can't get our hands on out in NJ.

Edited by gardenstatepkwy

I lived in Eagle, Boulder and LoDo. I never had the Native but I really liked many of New Belguims brews. I've been on that tour a few times and highly recommend it if you haven't been up there. It's full of awesome info and great beer. For free. I also liked Ska a lot. And of course Odell's, Avery, Twisted Pine, Walnut Street, Boulder Beer, Breckenridge, Crazy Mountain, Left Hand.... ;) I miss the beer scene out there. So many to choose.

Where did you grow up? It sucks there are so many amazing Colorado beers we can't get our hands on out in NJ.

Nice!!

I was raised in Durango, if you know where that is. I'm glad to ea you like SKA because I love it. Every summer they have a SKA-BQ and the whole town drinks outside the brewery, it a great time.

I really do miss it though, I wish I could share that beer wit the world haha actually I don't because I don't want it too popular

Nice!!

I was raised in Durango, if you know where that is. I'm glad to ea you like SKA because I love it. Every summer they have a SKA-BQ and the whole town drinks outside the brewery, it a great time.

I really do miss it though, I wish I could share that beer wit the world haha actually I don't because I don't want it too popular

Oh yeah I've been to Durango.  My old man used to fly out to CO just to go mountain biking with his brother and friend and they loved Durango as well as Crested Butte and Telluride.

Oh yeah I've been to Durango. My old man used to fly out to CO just to go mountain biking with his brother and friend and they loved Durango as well as Crested Butte and Telluride.

hell ya that's awesome. It's so beautiful out there

• 2 weeks later...

So I followed through and got a growler of Kane Head High IPA on Friday and I have to say at first I wasn't impressed but by the time I had a few sips down I liked it more and more.  It's really a nice summer beer.  Lighter than I expected and very drinkable.  I liked it so much I went back the following day and re-filled the growler to take down to a BBQ so my dad and uncle in from Colorado could give it a try.  Both enjoyed it.  

Also had the opportunity to try Manayunk Brewery's Dreamin Double IPA.  Not the hop bomb I was expecting from a 8.5% ABV imperial.  On the malty side of IIPAs.  Overall not a bad beer but on the expensive side at $15.99/6 pk cans.  Not sure I'd buy another 6-er at that price point.  Definitely would buy it at a bar though if I ever ran across it.

While at Canals filling up growler #2 I saw a Founders (I know, I know) Devil Dancer Triple IPA in the "reserve case".  They had one single bottle for $6.99. I passed on it but wish I didn't just because I've never seen it before.  Has anyone here tried it? Thoughts?

I really like Devil Dancer but because of the price I usually just buy one a year.  Whatever combination of hops they use creates kind of an oniony taste, so if you don't like that you probably won't like Devil Dancer.  I think Deviant Dale's by Oskar Blues has a similar taste, so maybe you should try that first since it's not as expensive.

Did anyone else go to the Founders take over  at Hamilton UNO? It was fun to see a whole bar drinking the good stuff and no crappy Budweisers on the bar.

I went to a nearby bar this weekend known for having nothing but craft on tap and was kinda annoyed how many people at the bar were instead sipping on sh!tty Bud, Coors and Miller at the bar from bottles.

Did anyone else go to the Founders take over  at Hamilton UNO? It was fun to see a whole bar drinking the good stuff and no crappy Budweisers on the bar.

Yeah a few of my buddies and I went down there.  Some of my friends had never had KBS before so they were kinda bummed out that it kicked before we were able to get there.  I was at a couple other Philly Beer Week events though:  the Founders tap takeover at P.O.P.E. (Pub on Passyunk Ave.) and the Firestone Walker takeover at South Philly Tap Room.  Both of them were awesome and we got to try some kickass hard to find beers.

There is another Coors fake Microbrew brand called ThirdShift out there. Saw some college kids raving about it.

I am so paranoid now I google unknown brands.

A good indicator is that if it is brand new and suddenly there are displays and signage for it in the store, it is most likely an Anheuser-Busch or MillerCoors product.

A good indicator is that if it is brand new and suddenly there are displays and signage for it in the store, it is most likely an Anheuser-Busch or MillerCoors product.

That's a pretty good rule of thumb.  Usually the new real craft brews are just sitting there with minimal to no signage.

I saw Batch 19 at the liquor store near my work yesterday mixed right in the craft beer section.  That really grinds my gears but if they got rid of all the fake craft beers from that section, about 1/3 to 1/2 of it would be empty.

The Bottle King by me just started stocking Great Lakes, which was a great nostalgia moment for me. Great Lakes Dortmunder Gold was the first beer I ever loved, and I haven't been able to find it since I graduated college and moved back east. It's still a great beer as well.