It's Official....asked for refund

mackchi

I have been a STH for many years. It really hurts to have this happen but we were extremely hurt by Sandy and I cannot leave my money tied up with a bunch of individuals who have money to burn and can't get out of the way of their own avaricious nature. They (owners and players) have totally lost touch with reality and especially to the hard working people who rely on the income from the arena etc as well as the rest of us hard working folks who support them. It's official...I have requested a refund and I will not spend another dime on NHL merchandise or go to any games. How long this will last for me...I do not know. I had a similar experience in 1994 with MLB and I haven't spent a dime on them since. No merchandise or game tickets. I have watched the occasional game on television but no where near the level I used to. I was a bigger MLB fan than a NHL fan back then and I learned that I can live without it. The same may happen with the NHL for me.

Hockey games were always great family venues for us...professional and otherwise...but the professional venue is now removed and my kids are grown up and no longer play hockey so this has been a big let down for us.

I don't know if I can even bother to get my two grandson's excited about the NHL. They are only 4 and 2 years old but there will be little hockey talk around the family gatherings. Too bad. The NHL and NHLPA have blown it...the very essence and heart of a game that is so unique, so great on so many levels is now damaged for a long time.

So long NHL...you have lost me.

I have been a STH for many years. It really hurts to have this happen but we were extremely hurt by Sandy and I cannot leave my money tied up with a bunch of individuals who have money to burn and can't get out of the way of their own avaricious nature. They (owners and players) have totally lost touch with reality and especially to the hard working people who rely on the income from the arena etc as well as the rest of us hard working folks who support them. It's official...I have requested a refund and I will not spend another dime on NHL merchandise or go to any games. How long this will last for me...I do not know. I had a similar experience in 1994 with MLB and I haven't spent a dime on them since. No merchandise or game tickets. I have watched the occasional game on television but no where near the level I used to. I was a bigger MLB fan than a NHL fan back then and I learned that I can live without it. The same may happen with the NHL for me.

Hockey games were always great family venues for us...professional and otherwise...but the professional venue is now removed and my kids are grown up and no longer play hockey so this has been a big let down for us.

I don't know if I can even bother to get my two grandson's excited about the NHL. They are only 4 and 2 years old but there will be little hockey talk around the family gatherings. Too bad. The NHL and NHLPA have blown it...the very essence and heart of a game that is so unique, so great on so many levels is now damaged for a long time.

So long NHL...you have lost me.

your loss

I'm am sorry as a fan of the Devils to see you have to leave, but I understand or let's say I can identify with you situation I too am not doing well due to financial time and medical problems that hit me very hard this year. I enjoyed flying up to my home town E Rutherford and taking my nieces to the games!

But I am a Die Hard fan an even though I feel the game has been hurt by the last 2 lockouts. I will still support my NJ Devils!

Edited by Devs1965

I'm specifically not asking for a refund BECAUSE my financial situation was better a few months ago (when I paid for my package) than it is now. If I were to get all my money back, and the season were to unfold next month, with playoffs and all that a couple months later, I'm not sure I'd be able to come up with all the money (then) to go to the games. Patiently keeping it in my Devils account knowing that I have those games gotten and paid for and credit to get a bunch more, it's a comforting thought!

• Like 1

Sorry about the house and Sandy, Mack, hope it works out. Sports should always be second to living, even more so when the league is making a disgrace of itself.

+ 1

Hopefully by the time Mackchi gets his "house" in order, the NHL will have come to their senses and already gotten theirs in order too.

Sorry about the house and Sandy Mack, hope it works out. Sports should always be second to living, even more so when the league is making a disgrace of itself.

+1. Best of luck with everything. Obviously, the game comes second, but when real sh!t goes wrong, distractions like hockey sometimes seem more important. Hope you've got some other fun distractions now.

Edited by mouse

Was he affected by Sandy in 1994 as well when he gave up baseball for good?

I'm not saying the man wasn't negatively affected by Sandy.

However, his post indicates his primary reason was lockout.

He has a point here.. The guy's post was 2% Sandy-related and 98% anti-lockout rant

I'm sorry to hear about how much you were affected by Sandy mackchi. Hopefully everything works out for you in dealing with the aftermath.

Was this really necessary???

Not at all but trailblazer is the resident troll here so it's not surprising.

He has a point here.. The guy's post was 2% Sandy-related and 98% anti-lockout rant

Don't take this the wrong way because I like you and I am not looking to start a fight with you, but sometimes I feel like this lock out doesn't piss you off as much as some of us because you didn't live and die with the last lockout. I mean I'm 24, this is my 3rd lockout - I never thought I'd say this but I'm getting sick of the NHL's bullsh!t. Not trying to be a dick, just sharing a different perspective. Maybe you'll feel the same way in a few years when they enter the next lockout.

Don't take this the wrong way because I like you and I am not looking to start a fight with you, but sometimes I feel like this lock out doesn't piss you off as much as some of us because you didn't live and die with the last lockout. I mean I'm 24, this is my 3rd lockout - I never thought I'd say this but I'm getting sick of the NHL's bullsh!t. Not trying to be a dick, just sharing a different perspective. Maybe you'll feel the same way in a few years when they enter the next lockout.

It's cool man from the start I've fully admitted that I'm less angered about this because it's my first time suffering.. And I may very well be more unhappy if/when it happens again.. But I still don't see why we have to punish the Devils for a League-wide issue when the Devils likely want what we want (to cut the crap and get back to playing, now).. I've gone on about it too much in other threads, so I'll spare this one

It's cool man from the start I've fully admitted that I'm less angered about this because it's my first time suffering.. And I may very well be more unhappy if/when it happens again.. But I still don't see why we have to punish the Devils for a League-wide issue when the Devils likely want what we want (to cut the crap and get back to playing, now).. I've gone on about it too much in other threads, so I'll spare this one

It's not punishment to the team. It's just people getting tired of the same ole same ole. The team will be fine, and the league will be fine.

It's tiring watching millionaires fighting billionaires over how to split amounts of money that working people could never even fathom. It's even more tiring when it occurs like clockwork at the end of every CBA. Trust me, I was just as 'rah rah go team' as you are for many years. I absolutely respect that. And of course I still get caught up in it when the games are actually going on because I love hockey and the Devils.

But it gets to a point where enough is enough, and mackchi reached that point. He needs that money for more important things these days and he made an adult decision. I haven't reached that point yet, but I can definitely understand where he is coming from.

It's not punishment to the team. It's just people getting tired of the same ole same ole. The team will be fine, and the league will be fine.

It's tiring watching millionaires fighting billionaires over how to split amounts of money that working people could never even fathom. It's even more tiring when it occurs like clockwork at the end of every CBA. Trust me, I was just as 'rah rah go team' as you are for many years. I absolutely respect that. And of course I still get caught up in it when the games are actually going on because I love hockey and the Devils.

But it gets to a point where enough is enough, and mackchi reached that point. He needs that money for more important things these days and he made an adult decision. I haven't reached that point yet, but I can definitely understand where he is coming from.

Geez, scary yet again how much we have in common DD. I pretty much could've posted the same thing, word for word...this post describes exactly how I feel. And like you, I can understand why fans like mackchi have had enough.

I've been lurking but not posting all lockout, and I just wanted to contribute in this specific thread. My dad was a season ticket holder with me (now my brother when I'm off at school) for 15 years. He stayed on board during the last lockout, he took the added expense when we moved to Prudential, and lives and dies by the team. He called me a week ago clearly devastated and told me he had to cancel his season tickets and get his money back. We lost our living room during Sandy, a tree is now a makeshift divider in the house. Posters who I've gotten to know well know how much my family is hurting on a financial level, and the decision for my dad was "pick up a third job to fix your home" or "take money away from greedy millionaires who have lost touch with their fans". The decision was crushing, but in the end it was relatively easy.

I also wanted to come on to say that trailblazer and beetlebum and other posters like them are the reason myself and many others have avoided the forums. The only purpose they serve is to post douchebag comments and think they're hysterical. I'm relatively certain both of them have been suspended in the past, and I'm disappointed to see that their time out didn't change anything about their posting style. I hope both of you get hurt. I will laugh when you do.

Peace.

if you're still lurking, do you think your father would change his mind if the Devils offered more concessions to season ticket holders to retain seats? I don't work for the team, just a curiosity on my part.

I sympathize and fully understand the need to pull your money because unexpected expenses have arisen (such as rebuilding after the devastation of Sandy). I don't think anyone would begrudge another for having to make that decision. Ironically, the lockout itself will help these people because, if the season had started on time, they would not have the opportunity to get a full season ticket refund they now need to get by financially. So, for those people, the lockout has been good in some small measure.

This is my third lockout. While it sucks, I don't have that anger that some of you seem to have. Having gone through it 2 times previously, I almost feel like I'm immune to the BS coming from both sides right now and have taken the position..."wake me when its over."