GDT: Penguins @ Devils 7PM

PWW

they have a "new" seating capacity? what was changed

TG reported on it a while back.  The game against the Rags was a sellout of 16,592.  But the home opener had a crowd of 16,664 and wasn't a sellout.  Last night would have been called a 16,000+ crowd last year and any other year.  14,120 seemed like way too low of a number.

TG reported on it a while back.  The game against the Rags was a sellout of 16,592.  But the home opener had a crowd of 16,664 and wasn't a sellout.  Last night would have been called a 16,000+ crowd last year and any other year.  14,120 seemed like way too low of a number.

maybe they are just rounding up to their "sell outs" even if there are still tickets available

SD:  Yeah fair point, I think they used to have Kovalchuk slashing through the neutral zone as a default and they can't do that with Jagr.  

max:  I can give you a litany of weak goals that Brodeur gave up in the first 3 weeks of the season.  He wasn't getting a ton of help from his defense but he also gave up some very bad goals.

SD, if the Devils lose two out of three on the West Coast road trip (a tough one), will you promptly go back to bitching about Lou and DeBoer? 

DR33, re:  Brodeur, I've statistically pointed out the surges before in 2010-2011 and 2011-12, but let's face it, at Marty's age, it makes sense to be more and more cautious as the years pass.  2011 was almost three years ago, 2012 was almost two...feels like a while ago already.  Just because he's done it at 38 and 39 doesn't mean anyone should expect it at 41.   

I'm as thrilled as anyone that Marty's doing this...it is truly awesome.  It's great to click on to ESPN, look up Marty's numbers, see the projections and see numbers that are right up there with Marty's best seasons.  No, he won't keep this up, and he'll probably have another shaky stretch in time, but right now, this is really really fun. 

ok listen you troll, how 'bout you get off my case every fvcking single time im posting something? I've also never being on Deboer's case more than anyone else here and i've been pretty positive even when they we're losing lately than a lot of people here. I was never part of the Fire Deboer thing or wtv. 

Jesus christ, Im posting positive stuff and you keep busting my balls after? seriously back off

Edited by SterioDesign

ok listen you troll, how 'bout you get off my case every fvcking single time im posting something? I've also never being on Deboer's case more than anyone else here and i've been pretty positive even when they we're losing lately than a lot of people here. I was never part of the Fire Deboer thing or wtv. 

Jesus christ, Im posting positive stuff and you keep busting my balls after? seriously back off

Yeah, your avatar is very complimentary towards DeBoer, and you have complained about him a lot this season (and many other things).  Great, you FINALLY posted something pretty positive, but you've done a lot of bitching (much of it over the same things over and over), and in the friggin' Kings thread (a whopping three days ago), you were in "I told you so" mode with the people who had been trying to be positive up to that point. 

You know when you're arguing with your gf for days about something lets say that she never lock the doors at night but she's always saying. "Bahhhh its fine nobody is gonna try to get in here, relax."

So once you're both standing there in the living room looking at no tv, no nothing and listening to your dog whining cause he got raped and the place is trashed... you know that feeling of wanting to point out that you told her this would happen.

Well I was the one annoyed as fvck by all the denials that "we'd be perfectly fine" back then and people calling me out. So let me have my moments here please. I know i'm coming off negative at times about some stuff but its not as if i'm wrong either.

The Devils win 4-1 against the Pens, and in the space of 60 hockey minutes, suddenly the team is coming together and fun to watch and all is well (they've actually been trending towards that for a while now, with the 7-4-2 record over their last 13, but unfortunately I think consistent goal-scoring is going to be an issue for this team all season...they're going to have trouble overcoming any goaltending slumps, and like I've said, they will be a tough watch at times.  And unfortunately, right now the team is not gifted with strong shootout performers, so instead of being something like 9-8-3 or 10-8-2 like they would've been in past seasons, they're 7-8-5).  But with your flip-flop track record, I can't help but wonder if, as quickly as you're posting sunshine, if you'll go back to criticizing and complaining if the Devils have a tough time on this upcoming trip.   

IMO, Schneider is a better option than Brodeur now.

Based on what?  Marty's given up 5 goals in his last 6 GP, with a .964 save%.  Schneider's been terrific in his last two as well.   

If anything, I'd lean towards Marty for right now...ride the guy who's hot...but it's not like Schneider won't be playing (he'll get at least one start on this trip, I would think, with back-to-backs coming up on Thursday and Friday).  At any rate, Devils are 6-3-1 in their last 10, with Marty getting seven starts and Schneider getting three, and the three regulation losses came by shutout.  Goaltending and the way it's been handled has hardly been a issue lately.

Based on what?  Marty's given up 5 goals in his last 6 GP, with a .964 save%.  Schneider's been terrific in his last two as well.   

If anything, I'd lean towards Marty for right now...ride the guy who's hot...but it's not like Schneider won't be playing (he'll get at least one start on this trip, I would think, with back-to-backs coming up on Thursday and Friday).  At any rate, Devils are 6-3-1 in their last 10, with Marty getting seven starts and Schneider getting three, and the three regulation losses came by shutout.  Goaltending and the way it's been handled has hardly been a issue lately.

I agree, ride Marty while he's hot. Schneider will be good and solid NOW, or good and solid when Marty starts to lose it a little bit. He almost never looks rusty or not ready to play so I don't see a problem with assuming Schneider will be getting most of the starts by the time the second half of the season comes around. For now, ride the hot hand.

How many games can we go here before the team's lack of scoring in front of Schneider is no longer a coincidence?  I've heard mumblings that Marty's stickhandling helps the offense breakout (which is plausible, I suppose) but it just seems odd they can't score more than a goal when Cory's in net.

I've lost track at this point, but I don't think Schneider's faced significantly tougher competition in all of his games..has he?

No one has said we'd be fine.  Well maybe some people did, but I know I didn't.  I said this team will struggle to score, and it is doing that.  It was also doing that last year with Kovalchuk, so there isn't much of a change.  What I also said is that this team would have a tremendous defense and it has also had that.  The real issue has been the shootout/OT, because they need those extra points - win two of those and they're sitting at 9-8-3, not above NHL .500 but above .500.  

Edited by Triumph

Oh, no!  I've been hoist my own petard!  I say to you:  I've been Sagely Japed, Poster!

Did you see - Statement Just Previous to the comment of being 'fine' - that the PP is still a disaster?  And that that alone is capsizing the offense?

Edited by Triumph

How many games can we go here before the team's lack of scoring in front of Schneider is no longer a coincidence?  I've heard mumblings that Marty's stickhandling helps the offense breakout (which is plausible, I suppose) but it just seems odd they can't score more than a goal when Cory's in net.

I've lost track at this point, but I don't think Schneider's faced significantly tougher competition in all of his games..has he?

Brodeur's stickhandling is a nice thing to have. In past years I wouldn't say that, but it really seems he has been more responsible for the most part with his passes. I've seen less plays this year where he fires it past the defender, and it's too tough for the forward to handle near the blue line. It's like the entire team had an itnervention with him, Besides a few plays where he has fumbled the puck, he's been great.

Hard to quantify what it does offensively or defensively (doubt much offensively, but this is the first year I'd be confident saying his stickhandling doesn't ADD more shots for the other team.

Edited by devilsrule33

I think TG's blog mentioned it the other day about Brodeur's stickhandling helping them, too. As i said the other night, it's something you don't notice until it's not there and it may be a correlation. But, to the extent that the drought in front of CS is happening i don't think it's a main reason.

Edited by TheRedStorm

Did anyone see the fight after the game? I turned the corner toward upper level SE escalator (near section 124) and see a beer go flying and notice an argument between Devils and Penguins fans and an older (30s/40s, only saying older because the Pens fans were 20 or 21ish) lady in a Devils jersey walking away and her boyfriend pulling her back.

10 seconds later, I see a chick in a Penguins jersey in her face and the Devils lady KNOCKED HER THE F OUT... I'm talking like Kovalchuk knocking out Schenn or Boulton knocking out Murray: total connection with the right hook to the face. I give Devils fans credit, they were doing their best to separate the ladies but these chicks were RABID.. I can't imagine what was said. Penguins chick was bleeding heavily from her mouth and her friend stepped in and was pretty much attached to the Devils fan throwing punches and pulling hair, etc.. There were at least 5 different times that fans stepped in to separate them but they were livid, both sides.

Gotta say I give the Penguins fan the benefit of the doubt. They were two Pens fans couples that were in section 119 and were pretty respectful, nothing stood out in my mind that they were causing trouble. They weren't drunk either. Gotta say, I think it might've been a crazy drunk bitch in a Devils fan that made it happen. Hope the Pens fans are okay, she got KNOCKED out.

What sucks is that this sh!t never happens at a Devils-Rangers/Devils-Flyers game where some of the most scumbag disrespectful fans come into our arena. Who fights at a Devils-Penguins game????

Edited by DJ Eco

I'd say 100 before we can really tell.  It is absolutely a coincidence.  First of all, Brodeur has played for a billion offensively challenged teams over the years.  Second, the gap is enormous.  Maybe there should be a gap of a goal or two, MAYBE, but there's just no way that a goalie has that kind of effect on an offense.

I think this is more small sample anomaly stuff than anything else...but we've seen it in baseball too...Nolan Ryan once led the NL in 1987 with a 2.76 ERA and somehow went 8-16.  Sometimes a guy just gets rotten luck and there's not really any clear explanation for it. 

I posted it elsewhere, but it wouldn't surprise me if Schneider turned in otherwise good to very good numbers this season, but wound up around just a little above NHL .500 or so...it happens. 

No one has said we'd be fine.  Well maybe some people did, but I know I didn't.  I said this team will struggle to score, and it is doing that.  It was also doing that last year with Kovalchuk, so there isn't much of a change.  What I also said is that this team would have a tremendous defense and it has also had that.  The real issue has been the shootout/OT, because they need those extra points - win two of those and they're sitting at 9-8-3, not above NHL .500 but above .500.  

I think this was pretty much what most of the positive people were thinking.  All the new forwards had people hoping for pleasant surprises (like middle-of-the-pack), but what they've shown is wild inconsistency, as far as offense goes, but trending towards poor production overall. We thought the Devils would get good to very good goaltending, and lately it's been great...but no one would've thought Brodeur would be providing so much of it.  Defense has been getting better, but from unexpected sources (like Gelinas).  I pointed out the lack of SO points in a previous post, but as we know, that's how it goes...there's a lot of luck that goes into them, and not just in the event itself, but in the fact that it's a unique skill that some players seem to have that others don't, and that having that skill doesn't correlate to how good a player is in other aspects of the game, and that it's not a skill a GM will ever actively pursue.  For years, the Devils not only had players that happened to be strong in them (even nonentities like Viktor Kozlov), but even had a guy who suddenly got exponentially better than he ever had been in them, in Kovalchuk.  There's teams that have sucked in them from the very first day they were implemented.  The Devils enjoyed good fortune in them more than every other team right up through 2012. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

Did anyone see the fight after the game? I turned the corner toward upper level SE escalator (near section 124) and see a beer go flying and notice an argument between Devils and Penguins fans and an older (30s/40s, only saying older because the Pens fans were 20 or 21ish) lady in a Devils jersey walking away and her boyfriend pulling her back.

10 seconds later, I see a chick in a Penguins jersey in her face and the Devils lady KNOCKED HER THE F OUT... I'm talking like Kovalchuk knocking out Schenn or Boulton knocking out Murray: total connection with the right hook to the face. I give Devils fans credit, they were doing their best to separate the ladies but these chicks were RABID.. I can't imagine what was said. Penguins chick was bleeding heavily from her mouth and her friend stepped in and was pretty much attached to the Devils fan throwing punches and pulling hair, etc.. There were at least 5 different times that fans stepped in to separate them but they were livid, both sides.

Gotta say I give the Penguins fan the benefit of the doubt. They were two Pens fans couples that were in section 119 and were pretty respectful, nothing stood out in my mind that they were causing trouble. They weren't drunk either. Gotta say, I think it might've been a crazy drunk bitch in a Devils fan that made it happen. Hope the Pens fans are okay, she got KNOCKED out.

What sucks is that this sh!t never happens at a Devils-Rangers/Devils-Flyers game where some of the most scumbag disrespectful fans come into our arena. Who fights at a Devils-Penguins game????

The same type of crowd that wants to turn the arena into their own personal living room and whining when "you suck" chant is taken away from them.

• Like 1

The same type of crowd that wants to turn the arena into their own personal living room and whining when "you suck" chant is taken away from them.

beat_dead_horse2.jpg