2013-14 Albany Devils and ECHL Thread

thefiestygoat

AHL
Albany defeated Bridgeport 2-1. Kelly Zajac scored twice with Kelly, Matteau, and Helgeson picking up an assist each. Kinkaid stopped 22 of 23 shots. Albany outshot Bridgeport 27-23 and went 0/1 on the PP and 2/3 on the PK. Here is the gamesheet.

Albany sits in 7th place with 4 games left at 85 points, 3 points clear of 9th place Norfolk who has a game in hand.

Stats:
Keith Kinkaid G: 41 GP 22-13-5, 2.34 GAA, .911 SV%, 4 SO
Kelly Zajac C: 64 GP 12-30-42, +6, 4 PIM, 15.0 SH%, 1.25 SH/GP
Stefan Matteau LW: 63 GP 13-12-25, +4, 62 PIM, 12.87 SH%, 1.60 SH/GP
Seth Helgeson D: 72 GP 1-8-9, +11, 93 PIM, 1.56 SH%, 0.88 SH/GP - has played in every game.

ECHL
Elmira lost to South Carolina 4-1
Artem Demkov F: DNP (Injured)
Riley Boychuk F: E, 5 PIM (Fighting), 1 Shot
Harry Young D: DNP (Injured)

ECHL 4/10
Orlando defeated Greenville 3-2
Maxime Clermont G: 20 Saves on 22 Shots* 3rd Star

ECHL 4/9
Elmira defeated Gwinnett 6-3
Riley Boychuk F: -2, 4 Shots

Edited by thefiestygoat

• Replies 470
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just watched those highlights... Tedendy has some pretty amazing hands. That first goal was credited to Zajac as Fiesty pointed out, but too bad Tedenby was never able to take that same level of play to the NHL.

I have a feeling we'll see him in Swed elite league next year.  Too bad he didn't work out.

I really think Tedenby can play in the NHL, but it has to be on a different type of team.    It won't work here with a half-court possession game.   It would help if he understood the concept of defense, though, because with his speed he could be one of those poacher guys.

I really think Tedenby can play in the NHL, but it has to be on a different type of team.    It won't work here with a half-court possession game.   It would help if he understood the concept of defense, though, because with his speed he could be one of those poacher guys.

No, he can't.  He has the physical skills, maybe, but lacks the mental skills.  He's played tons of games in the AHL now and has clearly demonstrated that at best he is a replacement level NHL player.

AHL 4/12
Albany defeated Providence 2-1 (SO). Pesonen scored the lone Devils goal assisted by Helgeson. Matteau and Whitney scored in the shootout. Kinkaid stopped 18 of 19 shots and 4 of 5 in the shootout. Albany outshot Providence 31-19 and went 0/5 on the PP and 5/6 on the PK. Here is the gamesheet.

AHL 4/13
Albany defeated Syracuse 4-0. Boucher (twice), McKelvie, and Scarlett scored for the Devils with Pesonen picking up 3 assists and Scarlett, Timmins, D. Zajac, Whitney, and Boucher adding 1 each. Wedgewood stopped all 20 shots he faced for his 4th shutout of the year. Shots were even at 20 and Albany went 2/8 on the PP and 4/4 on the PK. Here is the gamesheet.

AHL Playoff Race Update
Albany has moved up to 6th place in the East with 89 points in 74 games, 3 points clear of 9th place Norfolk who has a game in hand. The Devils have 2 games left.

ECHL 4/12
Elmira lost to Gwinnett 7-0
Riley Boychuk F: -2, 2 Shots

-- Elmira finishes in 12th place in the East.
-- Demkov's Season: 38 GP 16-10-26, -4, 28 PIM, 13.91 SH%, 3.03 SH/GP
-- Boychuk's Season: 25 GP 1-2-3, -8, 63 PIM, 2.77 SH%, 1.44 SH/GP
-- Young's Season: 37 GP 3-1-4, -5, 73 PIM, 7.38 SH%, 1.11 SH/GP

Orlando lost to Reading 1-0 (SO)
Maxime Clermont G: 31 Saves on 31 Shots, 1 Save on 4 Shootout Attempts* 2nd Star

ECHL 4/13
Orlando defeated Greenville 5-4
Maxime Clermont G: 35 Saves on 39 Shots

-- Orlando finishes in 4th place in the East.
-- Clermont's Season: 27 GP 11-12-2, 3.35 GAA, .892 SV%, 1 SO

No, he can't.  He has the physical skills, maybe, but lacks the mental skills.  He's played tons of games in the AHL now and has clearly demonstrated that at best he is a replacement level NHL player.

He's still what, 24?   Have to figure he's done in NA for the time being, he could possibly "get it" and come back eventually, he has the set to be a poacher, hell those guys don't even necessarily have to be good defensively, just have some anticipation of where the puck's going to go.

He's still what, 24?   Have to figure he's done in NA for the time being, he could possibly "get it" and come back eventually, he has the set to be a poacher, hell those guys don't even necessarily have to be good defensively, just have some anticipation of where the puck's going to go.

Name one player that's done that.  This guy is supposed to be a scorer and at the AHL level he puts up .5 points a game.  Guys have been unable to make the transition from AHL to NHL and have 'gotten it' eventually at the NHL level, but he's not killing the AHL.  

Tedenby has no anticipation for where the puck is going to go.  Plus I don't even think he's that fast.

He's not an NHL player.  I don't even think he'll crush the KHL - he'll be a 3rd liner there, probably.

Has anyone seen Scarlett play? I've been following his stats since he was drafted, and he seems to always put up lots of points. He had 49 points in 67 games last year in the WHL, which I thought was really solid. 18 points in 44 for an AHL rookie isn't bad either. I'd like to know some more about his game from anyone who knows more than me, because I find it strange that he is no longer listed alongside Larsson, Merrill, Gelinas, Severson, and Santini as potential pieces of the Devils' future defense. If I recall correctly, it wasn't that long ago that people had really high hopes for him.

Although it could just be that the other young defensemen in the system are just a cut above him, and we won't have room for everyone.

Also, I think this year was Tedenby's chance to really prove that he can make it in the NHL. He's 24, which isn't old, but certainly is old enough to figure out how to play in North America by now. In ~40 games, Tedenby probably should have come much closer to 40 points than 20. I know we all hope that he could be something special, like a Devils version of Mats Zuccarello maybe. Some of those awesome goals in 2010-2011 really stick with you.

But when Tim Sestito has more p/g than him, you should start to realize that things are far from coming together for Tedenby. The flashy stick handling, the speed, and the nice shot are all great assets, but he hasn't been able to figure out other aspects of the game. I could be wrong about all this, but I just don't see it working out with him...at least not for a while.

Has anyone seen Scarlett play? I've been following his stats since he was drafted, and he seems to always put up lots of points. He had 49 points in 67 games last year in the WHL, which I thought was really solid. 18 points in 44 for an AHL rookie isn't bad either. I'd like to know some more about his game from anyone who knows more than me, because I find it strange that he is no longer listed alongside Larsson, Merrill, Gelinas, Severson, and Santini as potential pieces of the Devils' future defense. If I recall correctly, it wasn't that long ago that people had really high hopes for him.

Although it could just be that the other young defensemen in the system are just a cut above him, and we won't have room for everyone.

I think it's just that the other guys were drafted higher.  I'd like to see another year out of Scarlett because I think a lot of offensive stats on Albany are inflated this year, but he looks like he could end up being something at the NHL level.

Name one player that's done that.  This guy is supposed to be a scorer and at the AHL level he puts up .5 points a game.  Guys have been unable to make the transition from AHL to NHL and have 'gotten it' eventually at the NHL level, but he's not killing the AHL.  

Tedenby has no anticipation for where the puck is going to go.  Plus I don't even think he's that fast.

He's not an NHL player.  I don't even think he'll crush the KHL - he'll be a 3rd liner there, probably.

It's not quite the same thing, but you can call Alexander Steen something of a late bloomer.  He was less than a .5 ppg player in the SEL until age 22 or 23, which is AHLish.

Stuff like this still leads me to believe there's some hope for Josefson.  Despite the lack of playing time, he stayed with the Devils for the entire season, and got some playing time in a SCF run a few years back.    Tedenby was given every chance to succeed when he was playing pretty poorly, so it's hard to see an NHL future with him.

It's not quite the same thing, but you can call Alexander Steen something of a late bloomer.  He was less than a .5 ppg player in the SEL until age 22 or 23, which is AHLish.

Stuff like this still leads me to believe there's some hope for Josefson.  Despite the lack of playing time, he stayed with the Devils for the entire season, and got some playing time in a SCF run a few years back.    Tedenby was given every chance to succeed when he was playing pretty poorly, so it's hard to see an NHL future with him.

Alex Steen was 20 going on 21 when he played for Modo in 2004-05 and put up 17 points in 50 games.  Of course that was the lockout year and Peter Forsberg, Mattias Weinhandl, and the Sedin brothers also played for MODO, as well as Markus Naslund.  Hard to glean much from that, and in addition Steen will never have a year like this one again.

He's had 40+ and 50+ point seasons in the past. Is 63 points that much of an aberration?

I think it's more that his shooting % is up 50% from his career average of 10%. I doubt he puts up 30+ goals again. His assist total isn't totally out of line with his career numbers though.

Congrats to the A Devs on making the playoffs.  I'm not sure this will become a yearly occurrence but I do think future teams will compete more for the playoffs than have most Devils farm teams in the last decade.  Defense figures to be pretty strong for the next couple years with some decent forwards coming in too.  Goaltending is the potential downfall.

That does seem like his type of game, though, bigger rink, sh!tty defensemen, but then again the regimented nature of that might not work out.

Congrats to the A Devs on making the playoffs.  I'm not sure this will become a yearly occurrence but I do think future teams will compete more for the playoffs than have most Devils farm teams in the last decade.  Defense figures to be pretty strong for the next couple years with some decent forwards coming in too.  Goaltending is the potential downfall.

I think that Wedge has very interesting potential, he has me on his bandwagon for now.  I'd actually like to watch these playoffs for the A-Devs very closely. 

That does seem like his type of game, though, bigger rink, sh!tty defensemen, but then again the regimented nature of that might not work out.

I mean he'll score some goals there, but again I just don't think he's that fast, and every forward over there can toe drag and stickhandle.

I think that Wedge has very interesting potential, he has me on his bandwagon for now.  I'd actually like to watch these playoffs for the A-Devs very closely. 

Wedgewood's a .900 goalie this year - he's come on stronger at the end of the year but he has a ways to go before he can be considered to have NHL potential.