Start the Gomez-to-NJ rumors

hoekster316

As per Nick Kypreo:

"With new agreement, 1st buyout window will start prior 2 season opener. 2nd one remains in summer. Cap hit stays 4 rest of this season only"

Honestly, if he's willing to take the vet minimum (or near that), I'd love to have him back. He's not a scorer (we all knew that when he went to the Rags), but, prior to last season, he's had nearly 50 assists 5 years in a row:

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/teams/players/bio/?id=1356#career

Don't see how this is a problem. It's not like it's illegal to move a center to the wing, it's pretty common practice. Henrique/Elias and Gomez would be moved to the left wing. Top 3 centers are still Zajac-Elias/Henrique-Josefson.

This. Plus, with Gomez's speed declining the past few years, a shift to wing would be better for him.

You don't see any need for a playmaking forward in NJ?

of course there's a need for a playmaker, but is that seriously Gomez? Did we not learn from Rolston? A lot of people like to be nostalgic and want players back (Rolston, Shanahan, Holik, Dowd in 06, hell Janssen) and what we think will be a 'good fit' or 'locker room presence' actually winds up hurting productivity. If it was anyone besides Gomez, i might consider it, but the numbers don't lie:

2010-11: 7 goals(31 A[decent]) in 80 GP

2011-12: 2 goals(9 A) in 38 GP

When he was younger he used to be capable of 45-70 assists years while still having a decent amount of goals, and he's only been declining more and more. He's 33 now. I just don't think he's the best option right now.

Edited by RunninWithTheDevil

of course there's a need for a playmaker, but is that seriously Gomez? Did we not learn from Rolston? A lot of people like to be nostalgic and want players back (Rolston, Shanahan, Holik, Dowd in 06, hell Janssen) and what we think will be a 'good fit' or 'locker room presence' actually winds up hurting productivity. If it was anyone besides Gomez, i might consider it, but the numbers don't lie:

2010-11: 7 goals(31 A[decent]) in 80 GP

2011-12: 2 goals(9 A) in 38 GP

When he was younger he used to be capable of 45-70 assists years while still having a decent amount of goals, and he's only been declining more and more. He's 33 now. I just don't think he's the best option right now.

Rolston has nothing to do with this conversation. Nobody is saying that we should sign Gomez for 5 mil/per for way too many years. We are talking about a cheap, 1 year deal. Low risk. Even if he bombs, it's not a major loss. But there's a decent chance that he could be a good fit. Obviously he is not going to put up 50+ assists, and that's fine. If he can score around 40 points playing 3rd line minutes and distributing the puck on the 2nd PP unit, that would be a steal. I'm not saying he's the ideal pick up, but he would be a low-risk signing that could help fill in our forward depth.

If you see a better UFA forward who would be cheap and provide what Gomez can, let me know. Otherwise, we just have to hope that Lou can work his magic and find us a good trade. Personally, I say we take our chances and sign Gomez (along with looking at trade options).

Rolston has nothing to do with this conversation. Nobody is saying that we should sign Gomez for 5 mil/per for way too many years. We are talking about a cheap, 1 year deal. Low risk. Even if he bombs, it's not a major loss. But there's a decent chance that he could be a good fit. Obviously he is not going to put up 50+ assists, and that's fine. If he can score around 40 points playing 3rd line minutes and distributing the puck on the 2nd PP unit, that would be a steal. I'm not saying he's the ideal pick up, but he would be a low-risk signing that could help fill in our forward depth.

If you see a better UFA forward who would be cheap and provide what Gomez can, let me know. Otherwise, we just have to hope that Lou can work his magic and find us a good trade. Personally, I say we take our chances and sign Gomez (along with looking at trade options).

All valid points, i wasn't necessarily talking about Rolstons terrible contract just the general overestimating former players who wind up coming back to do nothing but skate around a few minutes a game and occasionally hit the back of the net. This is essentially the same team as last year save for a few people. This team is going to be thirsty this year after what happened, and imo i just don't think Gomez has that drive in him anymore. I could be wrong but i don't know if it will happen.

Problem is we don't need centers. We need wings

Henrique is currently injured, Zajac spent most of last year injured and Josefson is always injured. Adding Gomez gives us depth and allows Elias to fill the hole at LW.

Gomez is absolutely a playmaker. One of his biggest problems was that he was never a scorer and fans in NY and Montreal expected that given his bloated contract.

I typically hate when Lou bring guys back for a second time and I wasn't a big Gomez fan the first time around but I think this could be a good move if Lou can get him cheap on a 1 year deal.

All valid points, i wasn't necessarily talking about Rolstons terrible contract just the general overestimating former players who wind up coming back to do nothing but skate around a few minutes a game and occasionally hit the back of the net. This is essentially the same team as last year save for a few people. This team is going to be thirsty this year after what happened, and imo i just don't think Gomez has that drive in him anymore. I could be wrong but i don't know if it will happen.

I really think part of his problem was playing in Montreal and NY. Its not like playing here where you only have to deal with TG and that idiot Chere. The pressure from his stupid contract was/is probably enormous. I think if he can come here (or anywhere similar) and not have to worry about living up to expectations he can find his game. Its such a minimal risk and considering his history here, is a worthwhile thing to look at. It's also 5 years ago that he left and he's 5 years older. I'd like to think he has learned some humility by now.

I think a more apt comparison would be Sykora last year. He was out of the league for a year and came back and contributed.

2010-11: 7 goals(31 A[decent]) in 80 GP <------ these numbers would not be bad on our team

2011-12: 2 goals(9 A) in 38 GP <---------- these numbers are better than jj's were last year

as was said before with a contract like sykora had last year it is worth a shot

not by enough (2 assists more in 3 less games) for me to look twice, if he comes back whatever hes a devil ill welcome him with open arms, if not theres not sweat off my back

Please don't re-sign him, he's done. We don't take out-of-shape players with extremely low numbers onto our team by usual standards. Why make an exception for him? Why help him out? That's all this would be, a pity move for someone that definitely didn't think twice about telling this team to go F ourselves.

Well to counter your point about ex-Devils, look no further than Sykora last year. He was an ex-Devils who came in for cheap and did more than what we expected. Gomez could be this year's Sykora, if he wants to come here for cheap.

Please don't re-sign him, he's done. We don't take out-of-shape players with extremely low numbers onto our team by usual standards. Why make an exception for him? Why help him out? That's all this would be, a pity move for someone that definitely didn't think twice about telling this team to go F ourselves.

Why do you say that he's done? He's only 33, that's not THAT old. Unless you're referencing some report I haven't seen, we don't know anything about what shape Gomez is in, and his numbers are not that low. They were only low relative to his massive contract, which we wouldn't have to pay. Picking up a declining ex-Devil is not "making an exception", in fact it's pretty much the exact opposite. This is what the Devils have been doing for years. Sometimes it works, sometimes not. But for a small contract with low expectations it's hard to find a lot of downsides to signing Gomez for one year.

And this has nothing to do with "helping him out". The Devils are the ones that need help with their forward depth.