PeteyNice

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Deadline passes for NHLPA to accept NHL deal

TSN.ca Staff with CP files

2/16/2005

NEW YORK - The National Hockey League's deadline for the NHL Players' Association to accept its $42.5 million hard cap proposal has passed, with all signs pointing to commissioner Gary Bettman announcing the cancellation of the 2004-2005 season at a 1pm et/10am pt news conference in New York (live on TSN and TSN.ca).

Neither side has contacted each other since wrapping up a public letter-writing campaign Tuesday night, when the NHL and the union stood pat with a $6.5 million gap.

Click on to TSN.ca for all the latest updates.

The only letter that came on Wednesday was a press release from the NHLPA saying it had scheduled its own news conference for 4pm et/1pm pt in Toronto.

Related Info

McKenzie: I don't see any hope

NHL, NHLPA separated by $6.5 million

Bettman-Goodenow correspondence

Players surprised at salary cap move

The league and Players' Association came off a tumultuous 48-hour period which saw both sides break down barriers that had existed for more than two years.

The league took less than an hour to reject the NHLPA's offer of a $49-million team-by-team salary cap Tuesday night, sticking to the $42.5-million submission it made earlier in the evening.

"If every team spent to the $49-million level you have proposed, total player compensation would exceed what we spent last season and, assuming for discussion purposes, there was no damage to the game, our player compensation costs would exceed 75 per cent of revenues," Bettman wrote in his second letter of the day to NHLPA executive director Bob Goodenow. "We cannot afford your proposal.

"Our offer of earlier (Tuesday) was a $75-million increase over the offer we made (Monday). I hope you will accept it, and that we can move forward and negotiate the myriad of other issues that need to be addressed."

Two hours after that rejection, Goodenow fired a letter back at Bettman.

"Your claim that the clubs cannot afford our proposal is based on your hypothetical fear of what would happen "if every team spent to the $49-million leve the players have proposed,"' wrote Goodenow. "The notion that every club will spend at the $49-million level is contradicted by years of actual payroll experience under the old CBA system..."

Goodenow then added, "You will receive nothing further from us."

Goodenow had taken just over four hours to turn down the league's offer of a $42.5-million salary cap, an offer Bettman warned did not warrant further negotiations.

The league's offer features a $42.5-million cap, with a luxury tax of 50 per cent on payrolls from $34 million to $42.5 million. Offers from both sides in the last two days included a salary rollback of 24 per cent on all existing player contracts and covered six full seasons.

Aside from dropping its cap figure from $52 million to $49 million on Tuesday night, the union also restructured the exception provision so that teams can only go over the cap twice during the six-year term and "for up to only 10 per cent over the limit of $49 million (to $53.9 million), at the tax rate of 150 per cent."

The rest of the luxury tax would worked like this: 25 per cent on $40 million-$43 million, 50 per cent on $43 million-$46 million and 75 per cent from $46 million-$49 million. The deal also included a minimum payroll of $25 million.

The NHLPA's previous offer Monday allowed provisions for teams to spend as much as 10 per cent more than that on three occasions in a six-year period. The luxury tax worked at 25 per cent on $40 million-$44 million; 50 per cent on $44 million-$48 million; 75 per cent on $48 million-$52 million and 150 per cent on $52 million-$57.2 million.

The league's $42.5-million salary cap would be the figure for all six years of the new collective bargaining agreement.

Counting the rollback of 24 per cent, four teams are currently over the $42.5-million figure before signing any free agents. Detroit ($43.38 million), New Jersey ($46.32 million), Philadelphia ($50 million) and Toronto ($46.6 million) would be over. Dallas ($40.77 million) and Colorado ($40.27 million) would be on the bubble without signing anyone else.

Through Wednesday, 840 of the 1,230 regular-season games have gone by the wayside.

If an agreement can still be reached, the league has a shortened schedule ready to go that would see teams play 28 regular-season games, playing only within their conference. The playoffs would stay the same

Remember folks....Bettman's PC is SCHEDULED for 1pm...sure the deadline passed, but do you think either side wouldnt listen to a counteroffer in fear of not making it in time for a PC?

Ill believe it when I see it.

Edit: Dammit, dosen't look good now:

The NHL's deadline for the Players' Association to accept its $42.5 million hard cap proposal has passed, and all signs point to commissioner Gary Bettman announcing the cancellation of the 2004-2005 season at a 1pm et/10am pt news conference in New York (live on TSN and TSN.ca). The league has already sent out memos to its teams that it has not contacted the union since Tuesday night, and the season will be cancelled.

Edited by Legend Of the Clown Banner

Well -- my husband called to report Rebecca has had it with ESPN and this whole lockout ... she made him switch the channel to Boobah -- she LOVES than show :wacko: I HEARD her ask for it -- weird weird weird! Personally it creeps me out. Thank goodness she doesn't like teletubbies... hey -- I sound like that guy triumph just reamed :unsure::saddevil:

Edited by Darwindog

'7' i have blamed both sides equally and sometimes I cannot understand why one can be totally behind one side...but i do agree with you.....Bettman needs to get to 45 or 46...in the grand scheme of it all....if they cancel the season....the owners will lose much more then making a 4M compromise per team.

And also I agree, you bet they are still negogiating or coming up with ideas...

it's Garys move, and it's a simple one at that.

in fact, goodenow messed up by not coming far enough down from 52 million. He should've dropped to 47 mil and put more pressure on Bettman, that way there was a better chance gary comes in at 45-46 mil. As it is right now, Bettman can come in a 44 mil and the players must accept it then.

we're so damn close, it would be a tragedy if the CBA didn't get done

Edited by '7'

it's Garys move, and it's a simple one at that.

in fact, goodenow messed up by not coming far enough down from 52 million. He should've dropped to 47 mil and put more pressure on Bettman, that way there was a better chance gary comes in at 45-46 mil. As it is right now, Bettman can come in a 44 mil and the players must accept it then.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree, all it will take now is for one side to come down 3 million lets say, and it will get done...if the difference is cut in 1/2, the side that REJECTS it will be GRILLED by the media for months on end. We all know egos are a big part of this

this makes me want to go rob 3.5 million from a bank so I could give it them so they can make it a 45million dollar cap

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

3.5 million X 30 teams is what you need.

It's a 105 million dollar difference!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thats one way of looking at it...but believe me, the Sabres wouldnt hit that $45 million dollar cap anytime $oon....nor would several other teams.

I like how were all huddled in this thread.... makes me think of a bomb shelter ! Anyone bring the  blender? A margarita would go down good just about now.... uh.." I picked the wrong week to give up cough syrup"  :P

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Damn we should have tailgated for this!!! Shots of Listerine for everyone!!!!

LOTCB,

agreed but it is after all a contract, so it must anticipate the scenario.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I understand what you are saying, but common $en$e has to come into play here.

NO WAY the Sabres can hit that number, if they decided to, they would become the Portland Sabres :D

I have to say this quote by Mr.Bettman is assessine:

"If every team spent to the $49 million ... total player compensation would exceed what we spent last season," NHL commissioner Gary Bettman said in his second letter of the day to Goodenow. "We cannot afford your proposal."

You think the Predators, Thrashers and Pens will all of the sudden dip into their wallets AFTER a long lockout and spend that much? Cmon Bettman.

The NHL needs a new commish AND a new NHLPA leader!!!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.