Kovalchuk Gone, What moves do we make now?

grcenter47

I just hope Lou doesn't go with the rationale from last year.

Something like: "Ilya Kovalchuk is not a player you can replace. We will need everyone else to just step it up."

I don't think he will, but I'll be pretty disappointed if this is the team we are going with by October.

Hmmm both tje Sedins are RFA next year....and lets be honest they probably wont pan out very well playing for Torts. Plus they're old and Sweedish so they meet 2/3 of our teams criteria.

Uhmmm The twins will be UFA, not RFA. They are still both producing at a point per game. Hank has been relatively injury free his entire career.  Daniel has had one concussion courtesy of Keith. They currently carry a cap of 6.1 each and want to do 1 year deals here on out, although the canucks will try to lock them up for 2-3 more years in january if they can. But if they hit FA than anyone with 12 million+ in cap space would be crazy to NOT try and land them. Just saying. Having the pleasure of watching them their entire career they make any team instantly better. 

As far as Torts goes time will tell how it impacts our core and whether it has an effect to get the team out of their country club atmosphere. The Twins were both strong advocates in getting Torts for what its worth. But, most fans in Vancouver want the Twins re-signed as soon as they can be, so hopefully it won't be a dilemma for other teams to try and decide to sign them in the summer. :boogie:

Oh and a big NO to Vanek. We'd have to trade something like Henrique and Larsson for a guy with a 7.1 mil cap hit who is a UFA after next season. I don't want to go through another off-season of waiting for our free agent scorer to make a decision on whether he wants to re-sign with the club or not.

What does Lou do going forward? No clue. What do I do? Blast punk rock and drink. My solution's working nicely.

Dustin Penner. He was a beast in Edmonton. LA used him wrong and his production went into a tailspin. He's only 30, 6'5", 245, and has a great nose for the net. He also doesn't take stupid penalties at all. He won't replace Kovy but he is a free agent, his stock is down, and I think he could thrive in DeBoer's system.

What can Lou do about all this ? I mean I can't really ask too much from him. What are you supposed to do when a guy you signed to a 15 years contract walks after 2 years ? We lost Parise because of that Moron (Ilya) and now we are left with no top players.

The best forward we got is Patrick Elias. Unless the teams pulls out a rabbit and play a fantastic team play with some of the young players panning out (fantastic too) we are going to miss the playoffs for a 2nd years in a row and draft nobody at all. 

I say we trade for Niuwendyk and Friesen, and hope Stephen turns into Brian Gionta. Then all we have to do to recapture '03 is find someone to replace Stevens and Nieds.

Dustin Penner. He was a beast in Edmonton. LA used him wrong and his production went into a tailspin. He's only 30, 6'5", 245, and has a great nose for the net. He also doesn't take stupid penalties at all. He won't replace Kovy but he is a free agent, his stock is down, and I think he could thrive in DeBoer's system.

No thanks. He's a terrible underachiever.

Some of you guys act like the only remaining UFA choices are either Jagr or Pierre Luc-Leblond

No thanks. He's a terrible underachiever.

Some of you guys act like the only remaining UFA choices are either Jagr or Pierre Luc-Leblond

That's pretty much it. Nobody's out there worth giving money/length to. Brunner, please - Detroit couldn't get rid of him fast enough. When Detroit doesn't want you, buyer beware.

Maybe this is why the Jagr rumors were out when it seemed to make no earthly sense yesterday. Now it makes sense with an open spot and more cap room.

Edited by NJDevs4978

Help is not coming from within. Tedenby is pretty much a lost cause and Josefeson might score 30 points in a full season (if he can even play a full season)

Signing Jagr is a no brainer. He wants to come here. The closer to AC the better for him. A 1 year deal and he can help replace Kovy on the powerplay.

After that maybe sign Brunner or Grabovski.

Help is not coming from within. Tedenby is pretty much a lost cause and Josefeson might score 30 points in a full season (if he can even play a full season)

Signing Jagr is a no brainer. He wants to come here. The closer to AC the better for him. A 1 year deal and he can help replace Kovy on the powerplay.

After that maybe sign Brunner or Grabovski.

Oh my god! No to Jagr already! He can replace Kovy's scoring if and a big only if he can make it down the ice without passing out from exhaustion.

Brunner will come at a price based on 44 NHL games where he did pretty good. Grabovski? I know he was born in Germany but the KHL may want him just based on his name.

Raymond's a better version of Tedenby, he won't add much. Boyes I'll give you.

I'm high on Raymond for several things, one is his speed, but I imagine he may come in with something to prove. He was a healthy scratch after a less than stellar season and there's a familiar face in NJ with Schneider.

I think Raymond and Boyes wouldn't be amazing options, but they're the ONLY solid options.  Raymond has nice hands and is a possible 20-goal scorer.  Boyes can fit in with the Zajac Elias line well, I believe, and contribute for very cheap. 

Jagr- too old and I don't like him as a player.  

Brunner- too young and I can't see him producing through a full season especially if Detroit doesn't want him.  

Grabovski- center which we have too much of, and not to mention the attitude of calling out coaches isn't professional, and I'd prefer to stay away from NON-professional players (cough cough kovy).

Penner- funny.

Cleary- 3rd line with jj/henrique and zubrus? Interesting to say the least, but still unsure

Poni- sorry, I've seen enough

Gerbe- Upgrade to tedenby, but thats about it

Pandolfo- I'm sure Lou would do this in a heartbeat

To conclude... sign at least Boyes and Raymond and I'll be happy with what we got, but not Jagr, please

As much as I dislike it, Jagr seems to be a sensible, short term answer for THIS SEASON.  He's a right wing - Plug him into Kovy's RW spot and see what happens.   If he can duplicate his regular season production from 2012, you're looking at projected stats of 27-33-60 over an 82 game season.

Lou shouldn't make any panic moves that might set the franchise back further by offering a multi-year deal to a guy that doesn't deserve it.

As much as I dislike it, Jagr seems to be a sensible, short term answer for THIS SEASON.  He's a right wing - Plug him into Kovy's RW spot and see what happens.   If he can duplicate his regular season production from 2012, you're looking at projected stats of 27-33-60 over an 82 game season.

Lou shouldn't make any panic moves that might set the franchise back further by offering a multi-year deal to a guy that doesn't deserve it.

You forget that Jagr is 41 and was dogging it out there during the playoffs. No way he can compete in 82 games.

You forget that Jagr is 41 and was dogging it out there during the playoffs. No way he can compete in 82 games.

Nobody is saying he should. Sign Jagr and keep him to around 65 games or so. Avoid playing him on back to backs

I'm a big fan of Grabovski but as others said, the Devils are set at center. I hope Lou goes after Brunner. Fits a need and shouldn't cost too much. I'm not really that high on Boyes or Raymond. Jagr would be cool but I have serious concerns about how they could manage his body over a full season at this point in his career.