GDT: Devils @ Canadiens 1/14 - 7:30pm EST

Don

That third period stretch where there were no whistles for about 6 minutes was a sublime example of Devils' hockey and how they want to play with a lead.  I'm not sure they gave up a scoring chance, and while they didn't generate many of their own during that time, the puck was largely in Montreal's end causing their defenders and forwards problems.

I dispute the Montreal scorer's assertion that they had 29 shots - some Montreal fan counts scoring chances every game so I'm curious what he'll say.

My best live nhl game ever ! ; )

What an awesome experience ! I met Don, i had lot of funny chats with nice canadians fans, had so many high five with fellow devs fans that my hand still hurt...had a blast after the disallowed goal (people was nicely make fun of me just before) " Yes ? You were all saying ?"

Oh... And we win !

And had awesome junk food... Life is beautiful as a Carter's nose ! Marty !

That's awesome, glad you had fun moustic, and glad you got to see a win (my only trip to Montreal to see the Devs in 2008 was a 2-1 loss, so I got more than my fill of the hockey-crazed Montreal crowd :P). And if that was Marty's last game in Montreal, you got to see history. Even if it isn't, you still saw history because Marty sets a new record every time he wins a game lol.

Was coming home from the bar and missed the first 6min of the second period. Was sad.

Reading comments on NHL.com about how marty should be allowed to roll with it and he should get the start Thursday, make me wanna kill something. PDB should be fired right away if Marty starts against Colorado. Marty was shaky I don't care what the stat line says, he was hardly tested tonight there wasn't a single shot that he saved (or even the one he didn't) that was a quality scoring chance. He was great playing the puck as always, but our defense needs to learn to play better in their own end without Marty doing it for them.

3-0-2 in our last 5.

8-3-4 in their last 15...that's a .667 point%.  They've done it kind of quietly (I think the fact that most of their games are such dogfights is part of the reason for that...10 of the 15 games have been either one-goal or shootout phantom one-goal games), so it's not like they've been beastly from a goal differential standpoint (and they don't really win pretty), and of course, there's two shootout losses, which continues to be a sore spot.  But I'll happily take .667 over a 15-game period any day.  And as I'm finding, a lot of individual numbers are a lot better than we would've thought. 

Some numbers over the 15 games:

8-3-4 record, 37 GF, 31 GA (33 if phantom shootout goals are added in).  5-1-4 in one-goal games

6-3 record in regulation

2-2 in OT

0-2 in the shootout

Schneider:  3-2-2, 195 SF, 181 SA, .928 save%

Brodeur:  5-1-2, 212 SF, 195 SA, .920 save% 

(There's been some duds here and there for both goalies, but they've actually been better lately overall than we've given them credit for.  They've combined for a .924 save% over these 15 games.) 

Ryder:  7 G, 4 A, 11 Pts, +3

Clowe:  (10 games)  1 G, 7 A, 8 Pts, +1

Henrique:  6 G, 6 A, 12 Pts, +6

Jagr:  3 G, 9 A, 12 Pts, +6

Zidlicky:  5 G, 6 A, 11 Pts, +8

Gelinas:  (13 games)  2 G, 4 A, 6 Pts, +1

Greene:  3 G, 5 A, 8 Pts, +3

Zubrus:  4 G, 2 A, 6 Pts, -1

Not jauggernaut stuff, and of course the above numbers don't tell the whole story, but they've been playing better than what they were for the balance of the 33 games that came before this, and the last 7 games of this stretch have been played without Elias.  They've been getting some goals from a number of sources.  There's reasons for optimism...I still wonder if this team can pull away from NHL .500, but the last 15 games at least hint at them being able to do that. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

not to bash the guy but i dont get it. The first star thing... well obviously it was in MTL and the media all went crazy cause it could be his last game in MTL, Therrien also said that Brodeur was the difference in that game and all the analyst on RDS after the game.

i simply didnt see it...? the first goal was horrible and didnt seem like he was really tested to be justify the first star? but wtv...

not to bash the guy but i dont get it. The first star thing... well obviously it was in MTL and the media all went crazy cause it could be his last game in MTL, Therrien also said that Brodeur was the difference in that game and all the analyst on RDS after the game.

i simply didnt see it...? the first goal was horrible and didnt seem like he was really tested to be justify the first star? but wtv...

Maybe some people were actually feeling a little sentimental and wanted to reward Marty this one time for a great career, in a building against a franchise he clearly has ties to...imagine that!  No, he wasn't probably as good as his numbers suggested, but he did have some nice saves, did only give up the one goal...it's not like they're giving him the first star where the Devils pulled out a 5-4 OT win and had to overcome 2 or 3 soft goals to do it.  At any rate, not sure what the point of quibbling about Marty getting the first star is.

Two of those three losses were the butt-whippings the Hawks gave us as well so the numbers look even better without those games.

A warrant has just been issued for your arrest by the data-snooping police.

But yeah, that seems to be a team the Devils just flat-out don't match up very well against.  At least they don't have to play them again this regular season. 

There was some guy that said we needed a 4-1 victory to get on a roll, so that's tonight I guess. Our cup run starts now

That was me! I said we needed a 4-1 or 5-2 victory for me to really believe we're over the "hump" so to speak. We've been playing well but not capitalizing and last night may have started the new chapter on us starting to get what we deserve.

Mark Fayne 3rd star? Ok... Although, one thing I wanted to say about him. He is our best pinching defender in my opinion. Volchenkov is good at dumping too. lol, dumping.

He's learned a lot from Greene the past couple years and is starting to play a similar game, really like where he's going.

He's learned a lot from Greene the past couple years and is starting to play a similar game, really like where he's going.

i wasnt sure on fayne for a while, but i definently feel like he is starting to get better and better the more he plays..and i agree i hope he continues to progress in the direction he has been going

I wouldn't get too attached. He's almost certainly gone this off-season.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

why would you think he wouldnt want to come back because of the staff here? or you think they will either trade him or wont offer him another contract?

why would you think he wouldnt want to come back because of the staff here? or you think they will either trade him or wont offer him another contract?

Well, he's an expiring contract on a crowded D core. Unless one of Salvador or Volch are moved it just doesn't make sense to resign him (especially since he'll probably be looking for Greene type money)

And if you're Fayne, would you want to resign here with PDB's rotating carousel? Unless he REALLY loves New Jersey I don't know why he'd take a lesser offer to stay here. I'd take the likely better offer and guaranteed playing time elsewhere.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Edited by Devilsfan118

fayne is one of those guys you really wonder if the rest of the league even knows about.

i think what makes the most sense is that zidlicky and one of volchenkov (most likely) or salvador (what we all want but very unlikely) is not here next year. Fayne will also likely not be but if we're constructing next year's defense for optimum roster, it would have to be:

greene-fayne

gelinas-larsson

volchenkov-merrill

harrold

unfortunately, this is what i expect:

greene-larsson

gelinas-merrill

salvador-volchenkov

harrold

fayne is one of those guys you really wonder if the rest of the league even knows about.

THIS^^

Exactly what I was going to say. I certainly think Fayne (who's only 26 now) will play a big role as part of the defensive core in later years, similar to 31 year old Andy Greene's role right now.

I think his issues with DeBoer are behind him and we certainly know Lou holds him in very high regard. He's an American-born player, alumnus of Lou's almer mater, and Lou told him a couple years ago (when he was definitely not as good as he is now) to "get comfortable and buy a house", or something along those lines from what I remember.

I think Lou will give him a competitive enough offer to keep him here, versus what some GMs around the league (who know a lot less about him) will be willing to offer.

Edited by DJ Eco

I was very busy last night and only saw about 5 minutes of the end of the game. I had checked NHL.com earlier though, and could have sworn it said Canadiens 3, Devils 1. So, saw the last few minutes mostly out of the corner of my eye with the sound off, then saw Price rushing off the ice and was like, "What the hell?!?" LOL  Great beating them and avoiding the series sweep

I had to listen in on my I phone (tunein radio) and watch game center. the radio was behind by almost a full minute and a half. was confused when game center showed 3-2 then 3-1. but got the reason a minute later.  also surprised that they didn't call clowe for falling over price

its nice that the breaks are starting to come our way. keep the ball rolling

I had to listen in on my I phone (tunein radio) and watch game center. the radio was behind by almost a full minute and a half. was confused when game center showed 3-2 then 3-1. but got the reason a minute later.  also surprised that they didn't call clowe for falling over price

its nice that the breaks are starting to come our way. keep the ball rolling

I've reached the point that, if the Devils get into the playoffs, I'll feel like they'll be playing with house money from that point on.  Not having their first-rounder will be a lot less painful then.  Might also get Schneider wrapped up earlier.  And a taste of the playoffs for the young ones.