Jussi Jokinen To Be Put on Waivers

TheMazz

He was, and he was also winning a significant number of his face-offs.

Is he playing Center or is he just taking faceoffs?

Looks like he's recently been demoted to the 4th line in Carolina with limited special teams time.  

3 mill for a 4th line winger is way too much, for a center it's tolerable I guess if he can move up to the 3rd.  I bet some team takes him.  I think this was a smart proactive move by Rutherford to dump him as some teams are desperate to add talent before the playoff push.  I wonder if he shopped him at all though first?  Maybe teams would only trade for him if Carolina ate cap hit/salary...

No more claims, we're turning into the freaking Islanders. Even worse, we'll get past the deadline and be stuck with all of these guys.

You make it sound like we've been picking up guys from waivers all season. Unless I'm forgetting someone we have only claimed 1 player; kostopolis. And Jokinen is actually a good player.

• Like 1

You make it sound like we've been picking up guys from waivers all season. Unless I'm forgetting someone we have only claimed 1 player; kostopolis. And Jokinen is actually a good player.

Point taken, but the cheap trades aren't that much different.   We're taking on too many players, especially if we can't dispose of any.   Then everyone starts getting healthy and players have to go through waivers.    And we've paid a little bit for most of them.

Point taken, but the cheap trades aren't that much different.   We're taking on too many players, especially if we can't dispose of any.   Then everyone starts getting healthy and players have to go through waivers.    And we've paid a little bit for most of them.

Eh, you really think we're dropping Loki or Poni on waivers? I doubt it. I doubt we even try to trade either of them. Plus, with the injuries we have now, everyone should be out past the deadline anyways, so it won't matter that much. And don't we get emergency call ups after that, so is there a way we could sneak someone through waivers like that?

Eh, you really think we're dropping Loki or Poni on waivers? I doubt it. I doubt we even try to trade either of them. Plus, with the injuries we have now, everyone should be out past the deadline anyways, so it won't matter that much. And don't we get emergency call ups after that, so is there a way we could sneak someone through waivers like that?

I could see Poni being waived.    Lokitonov is a keeper and they should be trying to resign him.

If they took on Jokinen, that would be the 5th forward they've taken on this year.   That's alot.

I could see Poni being waived.    Lokitonov is a keeper and they should be trying to resign him.

If they took on Jokinen, that would be the 5th forward they've taken on this year.   That's alot.

True, but you can send down Lil' Gio, Barch, Kostopolous, all guys that might not get claimed and wouldn't hurt much if they did, with Gio probably being the most likely to get claimed. Zubes comes back, Kovy, there's your room right there, right?

True, but you can send down Lil' Gio, Barch, Kostopolous, all guys that might not get claimed and wouldn't hurt much if they did, with Gio probably being the most likely to get claimed. Zubes comes back, Kovy, there's your room right there, right?

Let's see.   We've got 8 D so they have 2 of the 3 scratch spots.

Kovy, Elias, Zajac, Henrique, Clarkson, Loki, Zubrus, Carter, Bernier, Gionta, Poni, Barch, D'Agostini, Greek Guy, Hypothetical Jokinen.

I think that's it, everyone else has options or is Sestito.

That's not *that* bad.   2 guys would need to be waived.   Greek Guy obviously, the next one would be a little sketchy.   Gionta doesn't deserve to be waived, he just shouldn't be playing C.

If absolutely nothing else, he could play better 4th line minutes than Barch, Sestito, or Pesonen and DEFINITELY help us with the shootout. Unless we have an internal salary cap there is no reason the Devils shouldn't claim him.

Does anyone know if buyout rules stayed the same? Can they buyout his contract next year if they decide this experiment didn't work and save a little cash?

If he was SO good, why was he cut???

Canes aren't able to spend up to the cap. They also have about $20 million tied up in Semin and the Staal brothers. To sign Semin to  $7 million deal they may have thought to themselves we can count it as $4 million (plus another contract to replace Jokinen) if we cut Jokinen. Its some kind of creative internal cap maneuvering.

That being said, he is obviously not SO good. But his 5 goals in 30 games are more than our parade of 4th liners have had in 3+ seasons combined.

If absolutely nothing else, he could play better 4th line minutes than Barch, Sestito, or Pesonen and DEFINITELY help us with the shootout. Unless we have an internal salary cap there is no reason the Devils shouldn't claim him.

Does anyone know if buyout rules stayed the same? Can they buyout his contract next year if they decide this experiment didn't work and save a little cash?

If you're claiming him for him to play 4th line minutes, forget it, he makes $3M and is used to getting 18 minutes a game.  And yeah, buyout rules are the same, and the Devils could use an amnesty on him, but either thing would be a colossal waste.

Let's see.   We've got 8 D so they have 2 of the 3 scratch spots.

Kovy, Elias, Zajac, Henrique, Clarkson, Loki, Zubrus, Carter, Bernier, Gionta, Poni, Barch, D'Agostini, Greek Guy, Hypothetical Jokinen.

I think that's it, everyone else has options or is Sestito.

That's not *that* bad.   2 guys would need to be waived.   Greek Guy obviously, the next one would be a little sketchy.   Gionta doesn't deserve to be waived, he just shouldn't be playing C.

If they really need to clear a roster spot they can always invent an injury for Barch the way they have had phantom injuries for goons when they needed a roster spot in the past :lol:

If they really need to clear a roster spot they can always invent an injury for Barch the way they have had phantom injuries for goons when they needed a roster spot in the past :lol:

Upper body injury for a goon...

Defective brain.

Jokinen still has some step left in him. Loved him in Dallas. He's not a goon and he has some talent. Lou will likely pass on him as a result.

I actually think Lou would claim him, but its what everyone else said- he probably won't make it to us. I mean this guy's name at its mere mention has caused me to involuntarily twitch since 2009, so it would figure that the Rags will probably wind up with him lol.