My thoughts on Ruutu trade

SullivanNJD

Haha. I'm excited for tomorrow's game and seeing who he plays with. Think he replaces zubrus with Travis and jagr?

It's possible.  But I'd rather Ruutu be on the 3rd line.

Zubrus - Zajac - Jagr

Henrique - Elias - Brunner

Clowe - Ruutu - Ryder

Carter - Gionta - Bernier

You guys must be huffing that high octane gas. This pickup will do nothing just like the Sullivan deal last year.

I'm pretty sure our team is better with Ruutu instead of Loktionov. Since it seems we're still trying to make the playoffs, that's a good thing. :D

I'm pretty sure our team is better with Ruutu instead of Loktionov. Since it seems we're still trying to make the playoffs, that's a good thing. :D

We were still trying to make the playoffs when we got Sullivan too. We've already got several forwards that are decent two way players that are good for 50 points a season. This does nothing to address the scoring we're lacking. We could have found a better deal out there for Lokti if we made the right package. It's not Lokti's fault PDB kept fvcking with him up and down the line. We could have made a splash, but instead we got fleeced by Carolina. Loktionov and a 3rd for Tuomo Ruutu? Are you serious?

PDB misused Loktionov. Ruutu is superfluous on the Devils. Like I said before we already have enough two way forwards.

Loktionov is best utilized with skilled wingers in a 2nd line role.  Zajac and Elias are both better than Loktionov, so there was no room for him in a top 6 role.  Carolina is a better fit for him.  Ruutu is a legit 3rd line center, while Loktionov is not.

Edited by Mike Brown

Loktionov is best utilized with skilled wingers in a 2nd line role.  Zajac and Elias are both better than Loktionov, so there was no room for him in a top 6 role.  Carolina is a better fit for him.  Ruutu is a legit 3rd line center, while Loktionov is not.

Wow! A third line center. Well we all know that our third and fourth lines are where we need help the most!

Wow! A third line center. Well we all know that our third and fourth lines are where we need help the most!

Well here's the thing.  Ruutu can also be used as a 2nd liner as well.  He's versatile, and brings physicality.  He can chip in points, and will help the forecheck.

Well here's the thing.  Ruutu can also be used as a 2nd liner as well.  He's versatile, and brings physicality.  He can chip in points, and will help the forecheck.

Ruutu has only played all 82 games twice and his career high in points is 57. He's nowhere near as versatile as you think he is. Plus he's a right winger not a center.

Chris Johnston ‏@reporterchris 34s

The #canes retained 20% of Tuomo Ruutu's remaining contract in the trade with #NJDevils.

$3.8 million cap hit.  In other words, very close to the cap hit of an average NHL player.  That's not bad.

$3.8 million cap hit.  In other words, very close to the cap hit of an average NHL player.  That's not bad.

Yeah, I've (sort of) warmed up to this trade. Ruutu has gotten some pretty rotten shooting luck in Carolina and is a real SOB to play against.  He's basically a better Steve Ott

I'm sorry, I didn't know that was frowned upon. Will refrain from it going forward. Is there a section or spot on this site to post blogs?

Noo no it's not really a problem, there used to be a blog section but I don't think anyone looks there anymore.  I would just throw it in the sticky'd post next time, but it's not honestly a big issue.  I'm just a ball buster when it comes to this stuff.

It's not bad, but it's not nearly as good as I was hoping for.  Still can't believe that 3rd was thrown in there.