Bernier re-signed 1 year 600K

ghdi

Cammy-Zajac-Jagr

Havlat-Elias-Henrique

Ryder-Rutuu-Clowe

Bernier-Zubs-Brunner

Josefson, Sislo, Boucher, Matteau, and still maybe S. Gionta and Carter. Has to be a trade coming. We have too many 3rd liners.

Edited by Jerzey Devil

Cammy-Zajac-Jagr

Havlat-Elias-Henrique

Ryder-Rutuu-Clowe

Bernier-Zubs-Brunner

Josefson, Sislo, Boucher, Matteau, and still maybe S. Gionta and Carter. Has to be a trade coming. We have too many 3rd liners.

Boucher and Matteau will probably play out the year in the AHL.

Sislo will just be the 13th forward, pretty standard.

Gionta and Carter are probably goners - Carter's probably asking for double Bernier's contract.

The only ? is JJ.  And, seeing how he's been used before, he'll probably be the go-to healthy scratch for PDB.

Gionta and Carter are probably goners - Carter's probably asking for double Bernier's contract.

The only ? is JJ.  And, seeing how he's been used before, he'll probably be the go-to healthy scratch for PDB.

I can see Boucher staying down one more year but I think Matteau could be ready this year. Guess we'll find out at training camp. JJ played pretty good in his last few games of the season. Looked like he was finally hitting his stride. Hopefully he gets his shot.

And there does have potential to be a lot of injuries with this team next year so I guess it's a good idea to stock up. Like Chuck said I just don't think we needed this. Rather give Matteau/Josefson a try.

Edited by Jerzey Devil

The only ? is JJ. And, seeing how he's been used before, he'll probably be the go-to healthy scratch for PDB.

as it is now I have to think jj will play if for no other reason than they seem to trust him a bit on the pk. If gionta is gone they need pk forwards. Zajac, henrique Elias and zubie are your top 4 but after that who is Pete trusting?

Bernier for 600k is fine, he could be waived if he doesn't make the team, he could be an extra forward if he does, and maybe he starts the year on the 4th line.  At that price, it isn't set in stone.

Agreed. Bernier is someone that can jump up to the 2nd line if and when someone gets injured. If Carter doesn't re-sign then get JJ in his place.

Agreed. Bernier is someone that can jump up to the 2nd line if and when someone gets injured. If Carter doesn't re-sign then get JJ in his place.

I would rather have Carter jumping to the second line. Better speed and better hands. Bernier spent plenty of time in a top six role last year and did nothing with it. I hope he's fourth line or out of the lineup although I like the guy.

I would rather have Carter jumping to the second line. Better speed and better hands. Bernier spent plenty of time in a top six role last year and did nothing with it. I hope he's fourth line or out of the lineup although I like the guy.

What? Ryan Carter should never ever be near a 2nd line. I guess Bernier shouldn't have either last year, but the Devils couldn't score so that explains it all.

It's not such an awful move, but it keeps Sislo from the roster, and I am pretty sure he is better than Bernier at this point.

What? Ryan Carter should never ever be near a 2nd line. I guess Bernier shouldn't have either last year, but the Devils couldn't score so that explains it all.

It's not such an awful move, but it keeps Sislo from the roster, and I am pretty sure he is better than Bernier at this point.

It doesn't necessarily, but the Devils need a 5th RW.  They don't have anything in the AHL that gives me confidence in that spot - I thought they would have to sign an AHL scoreline RW.

I just think there are too many forwards on the roster. Of course you don't plan to slot Ryder or Brunner on the 4th line, but if the plan was to keep the entire 4th line again, you have to dump a few forwards, and you are basically saying Josefson is not in this team's plans and Zubrus is more than a 4th liner (just barely). Just like last year, I think there is a really nice 4th line out there, but it is not the one that Pete and Lou will have.

I just think there are too many forwards on the roster. Of course you don't plan to slot Ryder or Brunner on the 4th line, but if the plan was to keep the entire 4th line again, you have to dump a few forwards, and you are basically saying Josefson is not in this team's plans and Zubrus is more than a 4th liner (just barely). Just like last year, I think there is a really nice 4th line out there, but it is not the one that Pete and Lou will have.

There are right now, but remember, the Devils simply don't have a guy who shoots right handed in the minor leagues right now.  I don't even think there's one guy on their AHL roster who does, besides Timmins and maybe Demkov.  

I don't think Carter is coming back.  I think if the Devils had the biggest offer out there Carter would already be re-signed.  The Devils do need to be 15 forwards deep at least though; they've signed two injury prone players in Cammalleri and Havlat, plus they've got Clowe and Ruutu already.  If it means Bernier over Sislo so be it, I don't think there is a huge difference between the two over a season, and Sislo will be getting NHL ice time this year at some point.  I mean look, Sislo is a year removed from a .43 points/game season in the AHL, and I think he was even a healthy scratch at times during the lockout.  Meanwhile Bernier had 9 goals in the NHL.  I'm not convinced that one season where Bernier runs colder than ice and Sislo runs hot (at the AHL level) make the one guy definitely more valuable.  And they cost the same amount.