GDT: Columbus @ Our New Jersey Devils 7pm ET - Midnight GMT

nick17112

Sadly, I can't say the idea of Marty starting makes me feel anything other than nervous...I wish I didn't feel that way, but I do...I'd much rather feel nostalgic excitement and enjoy what could very well be Marty's last start as a Devil (I have a feeling he's not going anywhere though).  Unfortunately, the memories of the outdoor trainwreck and some other shaky Marty games this season are still too fresh in my head.    

Well, we've got 22 games in 45 days (including 7 back-to-backs) so the Devils will be needing a backup keeper at least 5 times. 

Which means #30 is likely staying unless its a goalie-for-goalie trade

Edited by BlueSkirt

Well, we've got 22 games in 45 days (including 7 back-to-backs) so the Devils will be needing a backup keeper at least 5 times. 

Which means #30 is likely staying unless its a goalie-for-goalie trade

That's how I've felt all along...a goalie would be coming back in any deal involving Marty.  Something along the lines of Terreri for Vanbiesbrouck back in 2001.  I'd be surprised if the Devils would be willing to trust Kinkaid with any starts down the stretch.

Cory will probably get more starts than you think...he just had a huge layoff and was only recently starting to get the bulk of the playing time before that.  Of course he won't start every game, but he's in as good of a position to get a lot of work as any goalie in the NHL right now. 

Can't help but wonder what will happen if Marty has a rough start on Saturday.  The Devils will need to get wins out of their backup goalie too.   

That was a great game. Entertaining and despite the scoreline (the 2 goals THEY scored), I didn't get a sense that we ever gave them a chance to win this game. This was a great win; considering the way the BlueJackets match up with us and how hard they play us every time, this win was super satisfying. 

That being said, I hope we never meet the BJs in the playoffs. They are extremely pesky, extremely frustrating, and match us well. That playoff series would give me a heart attack. I'd rather face the Pens or Flyers again in the playoffs than the BJs...

That was a great game. Entertaining and despite the scoreline (the 2 goals THEY scored), I didn't get a sense that we ever gave them a chance to win this game. This was a great win; considering the way the BlueJackets match up with us and how hard they play us every time, this win was super satisfying. 

That being said, I hope we never meet the BJs in the playoffs. They are extremely pesky, extremely frustrating, and match us well. That playoff series would give me a heart attack. I'd rather face the Pens or Flyers again in the playoffs than the BJs...

Henrique's SH goal was huge...really was starting to feel like it was going to be one of those nights until that happened. 

That's how I've felt all along...a goalie would be coming back in any deal involving Marty.  Something along the lines of Terreri for Vanbiesbrouck back in 2001.  I'd be surprised if the Devils would be willing to trust Kinkaid with any starts down the stretch.

Cory will probably get more starts than you think...he just had a huge layoff and was only recently starting to get the bulk of the playing time before that.  Of course he won't start every game, but he's in as good of a position to get a lot of work as any goalie in the NHL right now. 

Can't help but wonder what will happen if Marty has a rough start on Saturday.  The Devils will need to get wins out of their backup goalie too.   

If Marty blows it on Saturday, he isn't going anywhere but riding the bench. 

I see this game as a convenient game in the schedule to give Brodeur a chance to shine for some other teams. 

Henrique's SH goal was huge...really was starting to feel like it was going to be one of those nights until that happened.

So true. I was mentally prepping myself for a shootout loss after that second period before Adam's goal.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

If Lou wants to get him signed after this season, he probably has to go max term.  Hard to think Cory wouldn't get a max-year offer somewhere else, and all he would have to do to get it would be to wait one year.  If Lou gives Cory a max-year offer with terrific per-year terms and Cory still turns it down, not sure what Lou does there.   

If that scenario does play out, there is only 1 thing Lou should do and that is trade him.  I don't think Cory would reject that type of offer though.  He has established himself as the #1 here now.  We play a good defensive system that protects our goalies.  If the money and years are right, I don't think he will walk.

I see this game as a convenient game in the schedule to give Brodeur a chance to shine for some other teams. 

Agree that's probably what should happen if Marty has a rough day on Saturday, but I'm guessing 3 to 5 starts are going to be made by someone not named Schneider down the stretch.  Who's making those starts if it's not Marty, who is probably still going to be here?  If Marty's not dealt, I'd be stunned if the Devils called up Kinkaid to start ahead of him (who else would be a candidate, unless they sign someone off the street?), and I can understand why Marty would be upset if that happened.  He'd be thinking "OK, though it's hard for me to admit it, Cory is better than me at this point and gives my team the best chance to win, but now a guy who has 25:45 minutes of NHL ice time gets to back up Cory ahead of me?!"     

he'll be on the bench no matter how he plays. I doubt he gets more than 5 starts the rest of the season (including tomorrow). Maybe even less.

Just for kicks, here's my best case speculation for # 30.   

Isles Game March 1

Either of the Red Wings games, likely at Detroit March 7

At Florida March 14

Florida Home March 31,  or at Buffalo April 1

At Carolina April 5

I can't give him either of the Detroit games.  Cory can handle that back-to-back...he's not overworked.

I think you do what Sutter did with Weekes when it was Clemmer/Weekes, re: Marty...try to prop him up the best that you can and give him the weaker teams in whatever games he starts.  The Devils are still clearly a team that can lose to or best just about anyone, but I can't give Marty anything resembling a "tougher" start down the stretch. 

I can't give him either of the Detroit games.  Cory can handle that back-to-back...he's not overworked.

I think you do what Sutter did with Weekes when it was Clemmer/Weekes, re: Marty...try to prop him up the best that you can and give him the weaker teams in whatever games he starts.  The Devils are still clearly a team that can lose to or best just about anyone, but I can't give Marty anything resembling a "tougher" start down the stretch. 

I agree with that last part. Putting Marty in a potential 4 point game against Detroit is far too big of a risk right now.

I agree with that last part. Putting Marty in a potential 4 point game against Detroit is far too big of a risk right now.

I just hope the Devils don't lose 5-4 or something like that on Saturday, where Marty's play can be pointed to specifically as the main reason why the Devils lost.  But it's definitely the right kind of game to start him in. 

Anyone else biting their nails for Saturday's game? Cory was pretty shaky the first two periods (though he was fantastic in the third). You gotta attribute that to the Olympic break. Marty with a month between starts at his age and ability? Ehhh

I think everyone is.  Hoping for a nice surprise. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

I just hope the Devils don't lose 5-4 or something like that on Saturday, where Marty's play can be pointed to specifically as the main reason why the Devils lost.  But it's definitely the right kind of game to start him in. 

I think everyone is.  Hoping for a nice surprise. 

Yeah, its sad, but these days I just go into Marty's games hoping he doesn't embarrass himself. I really hope he sees the writing on the wall and hangs it up this summer.

Just for kicks, here's my best case speculation for # 30.

Isles Game March 1

Either of the Red Wings games, likely at Detroit March 7

At Florida March 14

Florida Home March 31, or at Buffalo April 1

At Carolina April 5

honestly I think after tomorrow his next start could be the Florida game on the 14th, then there's an interesting 4 games in 6 days with the bruins wild rags and leafs. He'll probably have to get one of those so pick your poison.

Of course this projecting way out so anything can happen.

my hope is that marty lucks into a 3-0 shutout win where he makes some scorpion save that makes the highlights even though he's way out of position and minny decides to trade backstrom for him thinking that marty/harding is fine for this year and they can go harding/keumper next year

• Like 1

my hope is that marty lucks into a 3-0 shutout win where he makes some scorpion save that makes the highlights even though he's way out of position and minny decides to trade backstrom for him thinking that marty/harding is fine for this year and they can go harding/keumper next year

I'll take that if the 3-0 shutout if that guarantees he gets traded. Otherwise, I am hoping for a 6-5 win where Brodeur is awful, and Schneider starts every game for the rest of the season. 

Edited by devilsrule33

I'll take that if the 3-0 shutout if that guarantees he gets traded. Otherwise, I am hoping for a 6-5 win where Brodeur is awful, and Schneider starts every game for the rest of the season.

You know that's not happening though. 

If Lou wants to get him signed after this season, he probably has to go max term.  Hard to think Cory wouldn't get a max-year offer somewhere else, and all he would have to do to get it would be to wait one year.  If Lou gives Cory a max-year offer with terrific per-year terms and Cory still turns it down, not sure what Lou does there.   

Ok i'm curious...

Let's sayyyyyyy Lou offers Cory a long-term fair deal this summer and that he turns it down. Now let's say you're Lou, what do you do?

1- See if you can trade him and figure out another option in net ASAP before it's too late.

2- Wait 'til the trade deadline to see where the team is and retry negotiations with him.

3- Wait til after the season hoping he'll simply resign

If there's any other options feel free to share.

Ok i'm curious...

Let's sayyyyyyy Lou offers Cory a long-term fair deal this summer and that he turns it down. Now let's say you're Lou, what do you do?

1- See if you can trade him and figure out another option in net ASAP before it's too late.

2- Wait 'til the trade deadline to see where the team is and retry negotiations with him.

I don't know what others think and I don't think there's a "right" answer but if he turns down a 6 year/50 (honestly I'd be surprised if he does unless he really hates it here for some reason) I'd be willing to go to closer to 7/58 or whatever the lunquist deal was. Honestly he might not be worth that but he's that important to our future.

If he turns down lunquist money then you know he's definitely gone- I'd then be willing to move him whenever we get the best deal and either bring back a goalie in a trade or sign one via ufa. But honestly I really think that now he's clearly the starter he probably gets re-signed.

Ok i'm curious...

2a- Go for it all in 2014-15, say fvck it and keep Cory, make a couple of right-now type moves (especially if Jagr re-signs, and let's face it, Elias isn't getting any younger).  If those moves don't work out (sometimes teams built to win in the short-term don't jell at all), you can still move him before the deadline.  Do I necessarily agree with this option 100%?  No, but this option does exist.  It's definitely a "push every last chip into the center of the table" mentality, and it's risky as hell, and it could blow up monumentally. 

If Cory insists on testing UFA with Lou offering what is likely to be his best offer, I think Cory's probably gone after the season.  I'm really hoping Lou gets Cory to stay this offseason.  Option B, whatever it would be, would probably be very hard to take.