2013 Miami Dolphins Thread

Daniel

Its hard to develop your quarterback when he's on his ass more then any other QB in the league....maybe some of that is on Tannehill since he doesn't feel it...get rid of the ball....or side step it...but when you're a young guy like that and it's coming from all over on you like that, I can see where the confidence would start to fade and you just mentally turtle

Sherman's being made the scape goat.  He's been shaky at times no doubt.  But still he had a crap offensive line to work with, and a QB that could not connect on a deep pass to an open Wallace to save his life (if Tannehill throws even 30 percent of those with sufficient accuracy this might be a playoff team). 

Unfortunately, I don't know what the answer is, other than to hit rock bottom and re-build yet again. 

There's a pretty significant connection between being sacked out of your 5-step drop and being able to throw a deep ball.  If OL is not made a priority on this team this year then I'm going to be a very unhappy camper.

Someone's going to pay for the last two games, more or less, and that falls on coaching.  Regardless of the situation, you have to have your personnel ready to play to the best of their ability, and even if the OL gets overwhelmed to the point where passing is impossible (no, that's not an excuse for Tannehill, just stating the obvious about our OL). 

And even beyond that, speaking to the season as a whole, Miami's offense was 27th in total yards and 26th in points per game.  You can't average less than 20 PPG and 325 yards per game as an OC and expect to keep your job.  Some HC's don't survive that.

Someone's going to pay for the last two games, more or less, and that falls on coaching.  Regardless of the situation, you have to have your personnel ready to play to the best of their ability, and even if the OL gets overwhelmed to the point where passing is impossible (no, that's not an excuse for Tannehill, just stating the obvious about our OL). 

I completely agree with that, it's just not a coordinator's job to have the players ready to play.  That's the HC's job, which is why I think Sherman is being made the scape goat.

It also falls on the players though.  They're pros who have been playing the game their entire lives.  They should be able to motivate themselves. 

Which brings me back to another problem I have with Tannehill.  He just really does not seem to care all that much, to the point that he's completely aloof.  ("If I lose, not a big deal, I still get to go home to my smoking hot wife").  You look at the great QBs like Marino, Brady, Elway, Montana and Young, all were fierce competitors.  Before training camp, Tannehill didn't even know who the other teams in the division were. 

Getting rid of philbin and Ireland would be a bad move. This franchise needs some continuity! Not to scrap it every other season

Don't be blind to the good free agents that were brought in.

So for the off season, our injured players return healthy. Gibson , Keller hopefully and Patterson

Fix the o-line , get a power back, another cb

Getting rid of philbin and Ireland would be a bad move. This franchise needs some continuity! Not to scrap it every other season

Don't be blind to the good free agents that were brought in.

So for the off season, our injured players return healthy. Gibson , Keller hopefully and Patterson

Fix the o-line , get a power back, another cb

You have Tannehill who I thoroughly respect.. but this is an offseason to start fresh for Miami, based on the turnover your roster's about to undergo. Miami's got tough decisions to make, in: Brent Grimes, Nolan Carroll, Chris Clemons, Tyson Clabo, John Jerry, Bryant McKinnie, Paul Soliai, Dustin Keller and Randy Starks, just to name a few. It's not like you have multiple franchise tags. The talent on your roster was such, that you should've at least won 10 games this season. Starks, Soliai, Grimes & Clemons are all Top 25 UFA's this offseason. --and I expect my Jets to go after them. Your 8-8 is very different than the Jets 8-8, namely because; you had the talent!

It's going to be very interesting to see how this summer unfolds in Miami.

Clabo, Jerry, and McKinney can hit the bricks, they suck. The o-line will be re-built through the draft and free agency. Soliai will probably resign, I expect Starks to walk. Grimes will be franchised if he isn't signed to a multi-year deal. Carroll may or may not be back, don't really know. I expect Wheeler to be cut after June 1 too, he's a joke. There are some decent run-stuffing LB's available in free agency.

Clemons- don't really know about him either.

Down goes Sherman. How often does the coordinator change, but keep the coach, actually work? Usually, the coach isn't far behind. 

What I'm reading is that it was sort of like a Muchak situation in which Philbin was told he could stay if he agreed to Sherman being fired.  Evidently, Philbin, like a lot of head coaches has control over his coordinators. 

Like I've said, I think Sherman is the scape goat.  You could argue with a few play calls here and there, but ultimately, it isn't his fault that they got shut out against Buffalo and that Tannehill put up a horrendous performance against the Jets in the last game. 

This coming year, it's really put up or shut up for Tannehill. 

What I'm reading is that it was sort of like a Muchak situation in which Philbin was told he could stay if he agreed to Sherman being fired.  Evidently, Philbin, like a lot of head coaches has control over his coordinators. 

Like I've said, I think Sherman is the scape goat.  You could argue with a few play calls here and there, but ultimately, it isn't his fault that they got shut out against Buffalo and that Tannehill put up a horrendous performance against the Jets in the last game. 

This coming year, it's really put up or shut up for Tannehill. 

I agree that he is the scape goat. It's tough to fire a coach after two years, unless your team completely goes backwards in the second year (Tampa says hello), but this feels a little different. Philbin's an offense guy. He was the coordinator for one of the best offenses for 5 seasons. He has a huge say in the offense and game planning. He picked his players too. This is more his failure than Sherman's.

Edited by devilsrule33

Sherman was a fvcking joke, his play-calling sucked. He deserved to be fired. Unfortunately, I've heard nothing about dickbag Ireland, so it looks like we're stuck with him fvcking up another draft. Great.

I don't really see what firing Ireland would accomplish in the short term. 

In any event, if you think Tannehill is a franchise QB, I don't see how you can be calling for Ireland's head.  It was essentially Ireland's decision to draft him.  Obviously the Wheeler signing looks like a huge dud, but the defense was not the Dolphins problem this year.  In virtually every game, save the Saints game, they did enough to help the team win.  (People are quickly forgetting how much of a homerun the Grimes signing was.)

The one thing I really fault Ireland for was buying high, and selling real low on Marshall, who would have been a perfect receiver for Tannehill.  I also still wish he drafted Dez Bryant when he had the opportunity, but that could have just as well had turned into a disaster.  Yeah, you can fault him for passing on guys like Jimmy Graham and Russell Wilson, but lots of other GMs did.  Then there's the O-line, but of course it wasn't that long ago that everyone was packing Jake Long's bags for him. 

How the offensive line coach who did an awful job and missed the Martin fiasco under his nose....is beyond me.....

I don't blame him for the "Martin fiasco" because the whole thing was basically made up by Martin himself.  It's not the O-line coach's fault that Martin turned out to be a lying sociopath. 

Down goes Sherman. How often does the coordinator change, but keep the coach, actually work? Usually, the coach isn't far behind. 

Well Rex has gotten to try it twice.  Going from Sparano to Morninghweg is going a lot better than going from Schotty to Sparano did lol.  Harbaugh also canned his o-coordinator DURING the season last year and won a Super Bowl.  That's the biggest example I can remember offhand of it working.

You can't deny that tannehill has improved in his 2nd season dan. Td-int ratio alone is better. Yes he had a terrible last two games, which he should of pass for over 4,000, and the only dolphin to ever do so was marino.

4,000 yards is the new 3,000 yards. And saying Tannehill is an improvement over every other QB other than Marino is like being the valedictorian of summer school.

Yeah, he improved, at least statistically, but the offense was close to dead last in points and yards. The whole is much less than the sum of its parts.

Like I said, next year there are no more excuses. You can't blame his coordinator, or lack of experience.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

4,000 yards doesn't mean anything. But it isn't an easy task only eight had over 4,000 this year and half weren't in the playoffs. So what if you make 4,000. Dalton, big Ben, palmer, Ryan and Stafford l go for 4,000 and it gets them no where it's an inflated stat. Specially for someone like dalton,Stafford and Ryan. The yards haven't gotten them anywhere to date. Luck threw under 4,000 this year, but he's a mobile, and a come back master as well. The TDs are the stat that matters. Palmer threw for over 400 passing on San Francisco, but they didn't rest in TDs so it was useless and an inflated stat if you look at the sheet. And Tannehill seems to be the least if Miami's issue right now.

If there is any typos my apologies I rush my posts threw my smartphone at work.

Edited by CarterforPresident

QB stats have really gotten silly.  The single season TD record isn't really a big deal...at least, not like it was when Marino did it (when his 48 and 44 TD seasons were off-the-charts).  Look at the three highest totals since Marino's 48.  Peyton's always been a bit of a stat-whore (he'll throw for 2 and 3 yard TDs in obvious running situations...he was especially guilty of that during his 49 TD-season with the Colts), and Brady's 50-TD performance was a result of shameless running-it-up in games that had often been decided by the third quarter, if not halftime.  Denver's 2013 D was at least bad enough that the offense needed to put up a lot of points in their games (though they had a little of the '07 Patriot run-it-up in them)...the 2007 Pats did not.    

I think everyone's brains are still trying to re-train themselves, as far as how to read QB numbers in this new, inflated-scoring era.  It's actually pretty hard to put up truly awful numbers anymore...almost every QBs' numbers look at least respectable at first glance, if you're thinking 80s-90s-even early 2000s criteria for what constitutes a "good" season.  (This makes Manning's and Flacco's years look even worse). 

And yeah, re: 4000 being the new 3000...it seems like the better QBs who don't throw for 4000+ these days can run it as well, which obviously stops them from putting up 4000+.  But I remember when 4000 yards was the mark of a prolific passing offense.   

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976