2011-12 Prospect Thread

thefiestygoat

Advanced to Pros:

Brandon Burlon D, Eric Gelinas D, Mike Hoeffel LW, Maxime Clermont G

New Additions:

Blake Coleman C, Reid Boucher C, Blake Pietila LW, Reece Scarlett D, Patrick Daly D

NCAA:

Michigan: Jon Merrill D (SO) David Wohlberg C (SR)

Minnesota: Seth Helgeson D (JR)

Wisconsin: Joe Faust D (SO) Patrick Daly D (FR)

Ohio State: Curtis Gedig D (SO)

Colgate: Corbin McPherson D (SR)

North Dakota: Derek Rodwell LW (SO)

Miami: Blake Coleman C (FR)

Michigan Tech: Blake Pietila LW (FR)

OHL:

Plymouth: Scott Wedgewood G

Sarnia: Reid Boucher C

WHL:

Swfit Current: Reece Scarlett D

Swiss-A:

Lugano: Mauro Jorg RW

The college teams don't start their exhibitions until October but then quickly jump into regular season action. Junior teams start regular season action on September 21st. The WHL has gamesheets for preseason games which makes getting info easy. For the OHL I only get what the recap article gives me so info is harder to come by. Here is a quick recap of some of the exhibition action.

Friday 9/2

OHL Preseason:

Sarnia lost 6-3 to London

Boucher (LW): 2 PPG - 45 seconds apart* 2nd Star

Saturday 9/3:

OHL Preseason:

Plymouth defeated Windsor 2-1

Wedgewood (G): 36 Saves on 37 Shots

Sarnia defeated London 13-2

Boucher (LW): G

Sunday 9/4

WHL Preseason:

Swift Current defeated Edmonton 4-2

Scarlett (D): 2 PIM (Hooking) - Served as an Alternate Captain

Edited by thefiestygoat

Beautiful. I read the other day that Boucher will play with Galyunchuk and and Yakupov on the top line. All I could say to that was 'Nice!!'

If that happens that would be a great way for him to break into his rookie year! Sarnia is listing Boucher as a LW so I assume thats where he will see the majority of his time, which makes sense since its said his shot and offensive instincts are the best part of his game.

Is Clermont definitely not playing in juniors? I thought his signing was so he could fill in in Albany in case there were any injuries and he was returning to juniors as an over-age player. If not, it'll be real interesting seeing him at camp next week.

He could've went back to the Q as an overager but it seems the Devils and him both wanted to get his professional career started this season. He's not listed on Gatineau's roster page. It seems the plan is for him to start somewhere in the ECHL with Kinkaid and Frazee splitting time in the AHL. Given Frazee's injury history, Clermont should get some time in the AHL. The depth is nice to have.

Saturday 9/10

OHL Preseason:

Plymouth: Wedgewood (G) Did Not Play

Sarnia defeated Saginaw 7-4

Boucher (LW): G - from the Assistant GM of Sarnia on twitter: has 3 goals in 4 games this preseason

WHL Preseason:

Swift Current defeated Regina 5-3

Reece Scarlett (D): E

Swiss-A:

HC Lugano defeated Fribourg 5-3

Mauro Jörg (RW): -1

Saturday 9/10

OHL Preseason:

Plymouth: Wedgewood (G) Did Not Play

Sarnia defeated Saginaw 7-4

Boucher (LW): G - from the Assistant GM of Sarnia on twitter: has 3 goals in 4 games this preseason

WHL Preseason:

Swift Current defeated Regina 5-3

Reece Scarlett (D): E

Swiss-A:

HC Lugano defeated Fribourg 5-3

Mauro Jörg (RW): -1

keep em coming reid

i'd assume that Gelinas will still play with the SeaDogs this season? or is he going to the AHL ? he's pretty much the only prospect that i could see play around here... or Maybe Clermont if he stays in the Q

Gelinas will play for Albany this year. Clermont is supposed to start in the ECHL and at some point end up in the AHL.

I was under the impression from what I've read that Clermont was only signed as insurance for the AHL. He was going to play another season in juniors as an overage player, who could be called up on an emergency basis.

I'm looking forward to seeing what some of those other guys can do if they are all making the jump to the AHL though.

Saturday 9/17

Swiss-A:

HC Lugano lost 4-3 to SCL Tigers

Mauro Jörg (RW): +1, 2 SOG

Good read on Merrill I suggest clicking the link to get the full scoop.

Key Statistics: After starting out strong with four points in his first three college games, Merrill never looked back during his rookie season, compiling a 7-18-25 line that included two goals in the Big Chill at the Big House against Michigan State and two assists during the NCAA Tournament. Combining that with 70 blocked shots and a plus-11 rating at the other end of the ice, Merrill added a number of honors to his mantle including INCH’s All-Freshman team, the NCAA All-Frozen Four team, and he was a finalist for the CCHA’s Rookie of the Year, Offensive Defenseman of the Year, and Defensive Defenseman of the Year awards.

Saturday 9/24

OHL:

Plymouth defeated Erie 6-2

Wedgewood (G): 20 Saves on 22 Shots

WHL:

Swift Current lost 4-2 to Regina

Scarlett (D): A, 4 PIM (High Sticking Twice) - Alternate Captain this year

Swiss-A:

HC Lugano defeated Ambri-Piotta 4-2

Jörg (RW): E, 5 SOG

I have no idea what to expect from Plymouth this year, but I wonder if they are going to be better as a team to cut down on shots against to make Wedgewood's life easier this year like they did tonight.