Next season, player actions

LucifersDog

I  would like to keep Jagr for next season, extend his contract for one year.

Gionta, UFA,  I don't think he will want to stay because  he will want more money and Devils won't pay I hope, but for sure we should dump him.

Carter, UFA, hasn't done much he should be dumped

Bernier, UFA, hasn't done much he should be dumped.

DeBoer, he should be dumped I don't like his system, his excuses, attitude, young player involvement and personnel selections.

Clowe, he won't work with the Devils try to get rid of him.

Josefson, Tedenby, and Loktionov keep  them for another year but play them every game until proven wrong.

Harrold has to go.

Fayne, is a question mark IMO, give him another year.

Salvador must go, he has to be traded or bought out.

Volchenkov has to go, trade or buy out

Zidlicky give him one more year.

Brodeur must go can't be backup goalie for Devils, he is a problem, ego.

IMO it's time for Lou to retire

That's my list for now. BTW this list is why we will miss the playoffs for the second season in a row or be blown out in round one again.

Why would we dump Clowe this early? Bernier? Why the hate for him? He hasn't been spectacular this year, but he plays to the system and I doubt we can find somebody as good for his price. Agree about Jagr, I don't think he'll stick around though. I'd definitely dump Tedenby, and if he doesn't pick up by the end of this year, dump Loktionov too.

Bernier / Gionta / Carter I would give the league's mandated minimum increase.  They have been solid citizens.  Haven't hurt the team much less than they've helped the team.

I definitely would change the guard on defense though, jettisoning parts like Salvador / Volchenkov / and Harrold.

I like DeBoer.  Keep him for another 2 years minimum.

IMO try to trade one of Volch and Salvador. If we can't trade one use that last compliance buyout on Volch.

Re-sign:

Jagr

Fayne

Carter

Don't re-sign:

Zidlicky

Tedenby

Marty

Maybe (depending on other moves):

Bernier

Gionta

Try to sign some good ufa's although easier said than done.

Keep Pete, Lou can do what he wants.

Extend Schneider as soon as they are allowed to. (Number 1 priority)

I would like to see next years defense look like this:

Greene-Merrill

Gelinas-Larsson

Fayne-Salvador

Harrold

Maybe see if Severson can get a few games as the number 8 every now and then.

Edited by Jerzey Devil

Carter and Bernier are good role players. They should be re-signed. Dump Sal. Keep Volch. He is broken but he's still only 31. Pair him with one of the younger D guys . I think it's the pairing of he and Sal that has dragged Volch down. Clowe has only played 26 games this season. You can't judge his performance with that matrix.

Edited by CarpathianForest

Carter and Bernier are good role players. They should be re-signed. Dump Sal. Keep Volch. He is broken but he's still only 31. Pair him with one of the younger D guys . I think it's the pairing of he and Sal that has dragged Volch down. Clowe has only played 26 games this season. You can't judge his performance with that matrix.

couldn't have said this any better. I've always been in the minority of appreciating Volch. Carter and bernier can definitely stay, they play our system well and are great for the price

I would also not give up on Deboer yet. To the OP, what excuses are you talking about, he's pretty quiet. . Is the "lack of talent in the roster" excuse not enough?

couldn't have said this any better. I've always been in the minority of appreciating Volch. Carter and bernier can definitely stay, they play our system well and are great for the price

I would also not give up on Deboer yet. To the OP, what excuses are you talking about, he's pretty quiet. . Is the "lack of talent in the roster" excuse not enough?

Absolutely, I like Volch because while he's old and run down like Sal, he still does some things very well like blocking shots and bringing the physical play when needed. Sal is just a cone at this point, he needs to be traded ASAP.

Gionta, UFA,  I don't think he will want to stay because  he will want more money and Devils won't pay I hope, but for sure we should dump him.

DeBoer, he should be dumped I don't like his system, his excuses, attitude, young player involvement and personnel selections.

Josefson, Tedenby, and Loktionov keep  them for another year but play them every game until proven wrong.

Harrold has to go.

That's my list for now. BTW this list is why we will miss the playoffs for the second season in a row or be blown out in round one again.

Gionta knows how good he's got it here. If the Devils offer him a contract,he'll take it.  Meh, I don't mind if he gets offered something.  

Carter plays the PK, has been very useful.

Bernier I'm ok with not signing. He hasn't done much. No real offense, doesn't play the PK, so what's the point? I'd rather try Sislo or Matteau.

I'm fine with Pete for now.

I'm fine with Clowe. Also he ain't going anywhere, not with that contract.

Tedenby and Josefson play every game until proven wrong? What does that mean? Tedenby is not an NHL player yet. Get over it.  Josefson needs more work, but he might get some looks. But he needs to work on his game.

When was the last time you heard any of these DEvils routines in the summer that was above and beyond the basics. I've heard teams rookies go work with Martin St. Louis or Gary Roberts mega training program - but what have we heard from Tedenby and Josefson. If I was Teddy, I'd glue myself to MSL and try to learn a few things. I'm not saying they don't work hard, I'm saying I don't know. Conte alluded to the work to be done to be an NHL player if you aren't a super skilled natural. Tedenby and Josefson fall into this category. Where's the work?

Fayne is not a question mark. Sign him. Solid #4 guy.

Salvador should go, we agree.

Anton has been pretty useful, good limited minutes guy #6 and the PK. He'll start to break down further, but still useful. He's not that old too. He ain't young, but he has some use still.

Zidlicky I've always said to continue signing as a backup plan if rookies don't pan out right away or in timely fashion. As long as he's putting up points, he's got value in the trade market.

Still early for this thread but congrats op I disagree with just about every one of your opinions lol... The only things I really want at this point are bring in a top line player and clear two defensemen out- preferably zidlicky and Salvador, but idk if that will happen.

You can't buy a better 4th line than CBGB. The problem is when ANY of them are used in any higher capacity. But that's not a problem at all if Lou can manage to upgrade our offense this offseason, simple as that.

He should be able to if he's willing to spend.  A lot of good players to choose from/

Why not. I still say the Devils trade him this season though.

You know he's going to earn a 2 year 4m loyalty contract from Lou this offseason. Why even pretend otherwise..if he plays STRICTLY 4th line minutes I'm okay with it. No PK, no PP, no 2nd-3rd line bump ups.

Same as above, but I like what Carter brings on the 4th.

My least favorite of the CBGB. Hasn't done anything this year. Wouldn't mind seeing a new face step into his spot. But, he's big, he's a veteran, so PDB will want him back.

He's definitely staying, sorry. If he hasn't been let go thus far he's not going anywhere - and all things considered, he has done a pretty good job this year with the crap roster he was dealt. My only gripe is his roster management.

Yeah he's not going anywhere - can't amnesty him so he's staying. No one's taking him in a trade either. He's been okay this year to be honest (when he's played).

I almost hope JJ gets traded. So he gets a chance somewhere else, and the Devils acquire something PDB will actually use. Ted's gone after this season, no reason for him to stick around hockey-wise. I hope Lokti sticks around and continues to develop.

Harrold has to go.

Agreed. He's another candidate for a bloated loyalty Lou contract, but thankfully the logjam at D will be his demise I hope.

Goner. Book it, signs somewhere else for Greene-type money.

MUST GO. Absolutely MUST GO.

Why not keep him around? He's a better version of Salvador..you need at least one of those guys.

Eh again I hope he's traded while his value is at its highest. I think Gelinas is a preferable option next year.

Yeah I think he's a goner too, thankfully. Time's come Marty.

Yeahhh, you find me a better option for GM and then we'll talk about this.

Harrold has to go.

And your plan for the Devils reaching the floor is what?

This. We are definitely going to miss the playoffs, or be out in the first round....or lose in the second round...or make it to the conference finals again....Or lose in the Stanley cup. But definitely not win the Stanley cup...Unless of course we actually do. But yeah. It's definitely going to be one of those scenarios. I promise.

Re-Sign Jagr.

Re-Sign Carter.

Let Bernier go.

Let Gionta go.

Trade Loktionov.

Amnesty buyout Salvador.

Let Zidlicky go.

Re-sign Fayne

Regular buyout Harrold.

Sign a big name UFA forward.

http://capgeek.com/ufa-finder/?position_id=F

we can't use the amnesty on Salvador (I don't believe at least) and why trade loktionov if the absolute best you'll get back is a 5th?