GDT: Game 2 Isles at Devils 7pm MSG

ZeroGravityFat

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

and defensive issues, but you could say those two have something in common.   I think they got B-level performances from both goalies (okay, maybe on the grampa curve Marty's was closer to B+) and they gave up 3 goals in both games, and at times it felt like it was an odd-man fest.

Jagr just doesn't seem to be the physical presence he once was either. He wasn't as elusive anymore with the Rags or Flyers either, but he was still strong. Now he just seems drained

It was the second game in a row. Jagr struggled for sure. Had a few turnovers. In back to backs, that will show up at his age.

He's never gonna last 82 games

When you have quality depth players such as Olesz, Josefson and eventually Tedenby, it gives the coach options. The Devils have the most back to backs. It becomes about managing the vets. That's why they should split the starts in net.

When you have quality depth players such as Olesz, Josefson and eventually Tedenby, it gives the coach options. The Devils have the most back to backs. It becomes about managing the vets. That's why they should split the starts in net.

He doesn't do day to day benchings, he plays guys in blocks.   If someone comes in, they'll be in for 7-8 games and someone will go out for that long.  The only way it works that way is if Jagr maintains himself.   Which he probably will.   

Last year they had 8 D and didn't rotate them, if you went in, you stayed in, if you went out, you stayed out.

our young guys are as slow as our old guys

whos our fastest devil now? lol

brunner? no

They have plenty of guys with serviceable speed.   No one that's rocket fast but they play half-court.    Jagr and Clowe are beyond slow, though, Jagr got destroyed by Gionta and Carter, neither of which are exactly blazing.   Looked like Shanny playing with Madden and Pandolfo.   Straight line skaters + slow guys can be funny

Olesz skated in the warmup, I have to imagine that was possibly as a replacement for Jagr.  It's early though and Jagr basically didn't have a training camp.  He was really awful, though.

Brodeur has to be better.  I know the Devils let up some odd man plays, but they're not going to win many games with that level of goaltending.  Plays like the pokecheck on Nielsen are high risk, low reward.

I think Larsson will sit on Monday and Fayne will play.  Part of me is beginning to be worried about Stevens' influence on this team, as the Devils' D usage and ability has kinda gone haywire since his hire.

Edited by Triumph

Olesz skated in the warmup, I have to imagine that was possibly as a replacement for Jagr.  It's early though and Jagr basically didn't have a training camp.

Brodeur has to be better.  I know the Devils let up some odd man plays, but they're not going to win many games with that level of goaltending.  

I think Larsson will sit on Monday and Fayne will play.  Part of me is beginning to be worried about Stevens' influence on this team, as the Devils' D usage and ability has kinda gone haywire since his hire.

I don't think he's a good position coach.   Sometimes guys can translate it (Robinson is a great position coach), sometimes they can't.   And there's part of his game that is just untranslateable.    You can't make a guy like Adam Larsson a raging psycho.    And the guys that are offensive oriented or tweeners seem to take the brunt of it when they have a stay at home that is absolutely dreadful.

That's the danger with making Stevens and assistant coach. He's such a Devils legend that it's going to be very difficult to fire him.

Rangers did it right by not even bothering with Messier as HC

Following Larry is a tough, tough job. Hope we can lure him back as his contract with SJ expires after this season...but if his daughter and grandkids are still out there it's probably not going to happen.

Awesome to see Brunner get rewarded two times tonight. 12 shots in 2 games with 2 goals. Also, nice to see Ryder get his 1st under his belt.

Larsson didn't have a good game again and DeBoer cut his ice time a lot in the 2nd and 3rd. Don't think too much of it though, he's a work in progress and they have a couple of days off now so the other D could pick it up.

Scary to watch Grabner on the ice. When he was out against Zidlicky I was getting nervous. Zidlicky still irks me to no end.

Larsson was beyond awful tonight.  It wouldn't shock me at all if he was scratched for Fayne and I wouldn't even care at this point.  He was so bad tonight I'm starting to think we should just deal him like the Browns did with Trent Richardson before the league realizes he stinks.  I honestly think if you had a skating contest between Larsson and our geriatric forwards, the geriatric forwards would blow by him.

I would be supremely dissapointed if Larsson busts b/c of Stevens. If Sal can be serviceable, they can give Larsson softer minutes.

Dwayne needs to be in for someone because he can clearly handle tough minutes.

The problem with young defensemen is that unless you're extremely lucky, you have to let them suck.   And we haven't been willing to do that.   You learn through sucking.    If you give a guy 320 over 4 seasons and he's still making the same mistakes, then maybe you can start to think they suck because they suck.   But not the way they use Larsson.

I don't think he's a good position coach.   Sometimes guys can translate it (Robinson is a great position coach), sometimes they can't.   And there's part of his game that is just untranslateable.    You can't make a guy like Adam Larsson a raging psycho.    And the guys that are offensive oriented or tweeners seem to take the brunt of it when they have a stay at home that is absolutely dreadful.

I think the difference between Stevens and Larry is that Larry's terrific with younger defensemen while Stevens just isn't.  You see that with Larsson and Fayne, Larsson's best hockey was his first season and he's gone downhill since.  Same with Fayne, he's gone from a top-pairing defenseman on a Finals team to a healthy scratch while Cheech (Larsson) and Chong (Zidlicky) screw up all over the place.  But at least Zidlicky will eventually play his way out of it to being non-awful.

Larsson was beyond awful tonight.  It wouldn't shock me at all if he was scratched for Fayne and I wouldn't even care at this point.  He was so bad tonight I'm starting to think we should just deal him like the Browns did with Trent Richardson before the league realizes he stinks.  I honestly think if you had a skating contest between Larsson and our geriatric forwards, the geriatric forwards would blow by him.

This is case in point what I'm talking about.   If you aren't going to let him learn, then yes, you should trade him and then never draft a defenseman high ever again.

I think the difference between Stevens and Larry is that Larry's terrific with younger defensemen while Stevens just isn't.  You see that with Larsson and Fayne, Larsson's best hockey was his first season and he's gone downhill since.  Same with Fayne, he's gone from a top-pairing defenseman on a Finals team to a healthy scratch while Cheech (Larsson) and Chong (Zidlicky) screw up all over the place.  But at least Zidlicky will eventually play his way out of it to being non-awful.

But the coach is also part of the teaching process.   This is stuff that has to be worked through.   And Zidlicky's game is hardly a mystery, he's a winger masquerading as a defenseman, which has its pluses and minuses.   If Larsson isn't going to get icetime and freaking Volchenkov is, there's something wrong at an organizational level.

But the coach is also part of the teaching process.   This is stuff that has to be worked through.   And Zidlicky's game is hardly a mystery, he's a winger masquerading as a defenseman, which has its pluses and minuses.   If Larsson isn't going to get icetime and freaking Volchenkov is, there's something wrong at an organizational level.

Volchenkov actually has been non-terrible since the first period in Pittsburgh though.