The useless Zees

dmitri

I know Zajac is a target because of his contract but I still really like him. He may never put up the point totals of a true "#1 center" but he does a lot of things right to help his line in the offensive zone. Plus, you know you can count on him defensively and to log minutes.

Small sample size alert but so far this year Zajac's had the least favorable zone starts for any forward and has played more at EV, PP, or SH than any forward. As triumph noted, once Henrique gets going, everyone's standard numbers will look a lot better.

Try watching him objectively. You'll see him cross checking guys in front, giving extra shots in the corners and taking passing lanes. Those are all little things that he's supposed to be doing. He may not be worth 4 million a year but he brings a physicality to the back end that no one else is bringing.

He's doing it now. The problem is, he and Sal are both slow. When they're healthy, they're just fast enough to keep up, and they do the little things right. When they're hurting (which they will be, because their games require them to take a beating), they end up a step slower, and get burned badly. Hopefully, DeBo is smart enough to manage their ice time and maximize their production, but if he doesn't, Volch becomes a traffic cone out there.

ahh i understand now... in that case my god iam right with you on that.. they need to go find their sh!t and get it back together.

I have no doubt that they will!

Or they could stay where they are. That is a possibility here, albeit an unfortunate one.

No because if they stay right where they are, they won't be on the team for very long.

I know Zajac is a target because of his contract but I still really like him. He may never put up the point totals of a true "#1 center" but he does a lot of things right to help his line in the offensive zone. Plus, you know you can count on him defensively and to log minutes.

Small sample size alert but so far this year Zajac's had the least favorable zone starts for any forward and has played more at EV, PP, or SH than any forward. As triumph noted, once Henrique gets going, everyone's standard numbers will look a lot better.

I love Travis.  The guy has been great defensively as he usually is.  So he at least still has that.  Henrique was great on the pk last night as well.

No because if they stay right where they are, they won't be on the team for very long.

LOL. They're both at the beginning of long-term deals. Where the hell would they go?

Buyout.

We didn't buyout Volch and he's literally part cone (on his mother's side I think). What makes you think we'd EVER buy either of those two out anytime soon?

Zajac and Henrique are/will be core players for a long time. There's no fracking way they go anywhere.

Now that that's out of my system. Someone said something about Gionta getting too much ice time. No one skates harder than GIonta, he makes so many hustle plays every time he is on the ice. I want to see more Jo. I think he has the talent of a top 6 forward honestly. I thought this was going to be his year to start getting some regular ice time, and they havent dressed him once. Scratch Clowe, he's been awful.

You guys have been ripping on Volchenkov in the GDT, but you don't pay attention to the really useless players: the Zs: Zubrus, Zajac, and, to a lesser extent, Zidlicky. Zidlicky gave up the puck for no good reason twice in the first 10 minutes tonight, but at least he goes and attacks and does something. The other two fellas, with big contracts, skate about every night and do NOTHING. Nothing.

Scream for their head instead.

Agreed. This team is filled with B squaders and some of them are over payed.

Is what it is.

We lost our super stars, those days are gone.

Agreed. This team is filled with B squaders and some of them are over payed.

Is what it is.

We lost our super stars, those days are gone.

You read through this thread and then decided to pat the OP's back. So glad you're here to show us how useless Zubrus is, despite him being fantastic along the boards and playing our system to a T. He's paid fine for what he does. He's a 2/3 line tweener getting paid $3.1M, good for 6th highest on the team, 7th if you assume Jagr plays 40+ games and gets the extra $2M bonus.

Zajac, our top center in the first year of his deal(because bitching about not getting top line production was really stupid until 4 games ago and still is because it's only been 4 games). He's also an elite faceoff man and an elite defensive forward.

Zidlicky, who despite his defensive shortcomings, is the only guy on D who can push the play up ice well or shoot the puck for that matter or not suck at running the point on the PP. Top it off, we pay him less than what we pay Volch. $3M unless he hits the games played threshold for his $1M bonus. I forget what the threshold is. Maybe someone can chime in. He's even getting less than Sal before his bonus.

But yeah, ya know, they're the B-Squad.

Also, OVERPAID, with an I, not a YE. It's also not two words. You learn how to spell at the Kwik-Mart? Same place you learned all about hockey I guess.

Edited by ATLL765

I've learned to not even respond to BigZ's posts. Legit don't think he's ever said a good thing about the Devils. If the team goes on a winning streak I guarantee he'll disappear again until the next rough stretch.

Edited by PWW

GTFO, Zubrus does his job, and does it damn well. The guy does everything for this team. We need a Zidlicky on this team. Zajac has been playing fine but is just a offensive blackhole at the moment.

The problem is defensive and team breakdowns in the critical moments. Volch and Harrold should not be playing over Fayne and Larsson.

Zidlicky produces too much offense from our blue line to get rid of him.  He's too valuable to this team.

hes the most offensive defensemen the team has ... but at the same time he does create a lot of hazards.. gotta take some and give some to each their own i guess

I'll take it.  Blueline offense is greatly needed for this team.

personally dude i do like zid... he drives the puck right up to the net and really does create a lot fo good chances. ... but i just hope the team gets their sh!t together its getting to be a bit much now. Theyre going to end up digging themselves a real bad hole thats going to be a big bitch to get out of later on.

personally dude i do like zid... he drives the puck right up to the net and really does create a lot fo good chances. ... but i just hope the team gets their sh!t together its getting to be a bit much now. Theyre going to end up digging themselves a real bad hole thats going to be a big bitch to get out of later on.

Greene hasn't been bad, but he needs to be better.

Larsson has been bad, and certainly needs to be better.

Fayne just needs to play.

Zidlicky, Volchenkov, and Salvador imo have actually been pretty good.  That is the problem.  When your bottom 3 defensemen are playing better than your top 3 defensemen, there is a huge problem.