NFL Week 3!!

CRASHER

Boy what a rough start to the NFL season for me….an AWFUL 17-15 in the picks, I guess a summer of doing nothing but losing weight and playing hockey had me be a little bit behind on my football skills….hopefully I’m getting back into the flow of this now….we’ll see though…

Before I start though I have to admit I was truly saddened to hear of the passing of Steve Sabol “Mr NFL Films” himself….I can remember growing up and seeing all the NFL Films Super Bowl videos on ESPN (back when it was a sports network) and the like, and if it wasn’t for Sabol and his artistic vision of the game, there is no NFL Network (and probably no MLB, NHL, etc Networks either), no NFL Red Zone and football isn’t what and where it is today….you will be missed, but your contributions to the game will NEVER be forgotten….I only wish the NFL would have done what the NHL should have with Pat Burns and put this guy in the Hall of Fame while he was still with us…..

Thursday Sept. 20:

NY Giants at Carolina:

Remember how I’ve been complaining about Thursday games and how it gives you no chance to properly prepare and HEAL for an NFL football game? Well no Nicks and no Bradshaw for the Giants (and yes I’m PIST cause I have Nicks in a PPR league and that team sucks….stupid Chris Johnson…..)…and limited practices to prepare for a unique style of QB in Cammmmmm …..not to mention being on the road, the troubles in the secondary….and the Giants laugh at the first six weeks of the season anyway, the Panthers are much healthier and at home (Stewart is expected to play)…the Giants are gonna be in for a long day…especially on defense

Winner: Panthers

Game Quality: ** (this game would be a million times better on SUNDAY with healthy players *grrr*)

Sunday Sept. 23:

1pm:

Jacksonville at Indianapolis:

It only took two weeks for Andrew Luck to already have shown more promise and hope then Blaine Gabbert has given the Jacksonville fans in a year plus….this shouldn’t shock anyone though…. A moment of small irony though: The Jaguars beat the Indianapolis Colts in the final game last season. This victory gave the Colts the first pick in the draft we KNOW who the Colts took….there is a lesson to be said for tanking sometimes…as for this game itself, Jacksonville clearly in the bottom 5 in the NFL right now…the Colts will win some games this year….the Jaguar games are two of those game….

Winner: Colts

Game Quality: * ¾ (just a hair too good for anti-football….if only Chad Henne were playing….)

Buffalo at Cleveland:

Oh MEMORIES….a few years ago these teams hooked up for an Anti-Football HALL OF FAME type game….Derek Anderson completes TWO passes (both to Moh-hack-med Massaquoi oddly enough I remember this…) and the Browns win maybe one of the ugliest and most entertaining games mankind had to offer (and a vintage pissed off bar douche fuming at the nostrils that we had this game on a TV we claimed which got all his friends to watch it just to piss him off more)…ahhhh memories <3 ….back to reality here….both teams looked better last week, but I BELIEVE in anti-football!!!!! I’m still not convinced that Joss Wheadon can do that week in and week out…though having Trent Richardson healthy helps….CJ Spiller says hi too….there will be some big plays in this game and it will be fun to watch….but I’m holding on for a delightful comedy of errors here….and again, the Bills are outside of the Sanborn Chaos Field….so…..

Winner: Bills

Game Quality: ***** anti-football!!! (the two catch game is what defined what we know and love as the anti-football CLASSIC!!!)

NY Jets at Miami:

*ugh*….two teams I still have no real read on….I don’t really think either team is any good….can Reggie Bush be fantasy GOLD again?? Doubtful, and it’s not like Miami has the offensive weapons to scare you anywhere else…good God these teams are actually a lot alike….the Jets have Holmes who’s better then any WR Miami has, but Bush is better then any Jet who takes a handoff (yes even the high holy Timm-UHAAAYY), this might be the anti-game I was hoping for in Cleveland….I admit I won’t be watching because I’ll be twitching at the Dallas game and the Bills game will also get my eye….but this could be ugly…and entertaining….alright I’m stalling….when in doubt, take the home team…..

Winner: Miami

Game Quality: ** ¾ (the rivalry makes it watchable)

Chiefs at Saints:

Wow….one of these teams is gonna be 0-3…..both of these teams are horrific on defense (great NFL Meme this week: Saints…last in the league in defense, maybe they need a better system to motivate their defensive players…I’d buy that for a dollar), and both teams have been a little disappointing on offense too (yes Jamaal Charles I’m looking evil at YOU….two leagues….bastard…..), but the Saints are home….and Drew Brees is still infinitely better then Matt Cassel…and that’s good enough, not to mention with most of the league at 1-1….1-2 isn’t an unrecoverable hole…..0-3 might be….

Winner: Saints

Game Quality: *** (maybe I’m still over-valuing the Chiefs and the ability to make this fun)

Cincinnati at Washington:

This should be an interesting lil matchup….the Bengals are better then people expect, have good balance on offense between Green-Ellis, Dalton and AJ Green, a solid D (and yes they got pounded by the Ravens but every team takes one or two of those beatings)…the Redskins lost two defensive starters to the IR list last week, and if teams can keep Griffin in the pocket it will lessen the extra-cirricular plays he can make….and also to add to his problems….I benched Jay Cutler to start him….this spells impending DOOM for poor RG III….the Skins might also take this opponent a lil bit lightly this week and this is one of those “growing pain” games for a young team like Washington, there’s a lot of skill and weapons on the field and this should be one heck of a football game!!

Winner: Bengals

Game Quality: *** (you’ll overlook this and wish you hadn’t)

Detroit at Tennessee:

The Lions get a break from the schedule Gods after that 49er beatdown last week…they get to go to Tennessee to play the worst team in football!!! Chris Johnson has gone from CJ2k, to CJ-no gain, I don’t think he can combine his rushing yards on the season to walk across my apartment….if he adds his receiving yards MAYBE he gets to Mike’s down the hall…you can write this one up as your hundred star LOCK of the week….its such a sure thing even me SAYING it’s a sure thing can’t frak this up…mkay??

Winner: Detroit

Game Quality: DUD (all Titan games are unless they play an equally sh!tty opponent)

49ers at Minnesota:

Could this be a letdown game for the Niners? Maybe? Two big wins against playoff opponents… though I don’t think the Niners have the Jets and Bills circled on their calendars mind you….and they do have Adrian Peterson and a decent pass rush group to keep them on their toes….and we all know how the 49ers pride themselves on this run defense and what a badge of honor it is for them…..Ponder is improving…but not this week not no way….the 49ers are too good and too well coached to slack in this one…I like this one to be one-sided too….

Winner: 49ers

Game Quality: DUD

St. Louis at Chicago:

Now THIS is a better match-up then you’d think….the Rams have been feisty and playing some scrappy defense and the usual nonsense from Cortland Finnegan and all that…and we have the Bears and their offensive….offensive line…Jay Cutler is still pimp slapping O-Line men….Matt Forte is probably NOT playing (please don’t, let me put Bush in and go with it would ya??)….Steven Jackson may not go either…but it’s ok, I waiver wired his backup…all is good :D …all logic points to the Bears, but I get the feeling Jay Culter’s temper and expectations are gonna make this a LOT tougher then it is and the Rams have played tough all year….I don’t do it often (nor should I EVER #holding-a-grudge)….but I’m gonna throw St Louis some love here and smell a BIG upset….take that in your bold prediction factory Laflamme!!!

Winner: Rams

Game Quality: *** (I love me Jay Culter implosions)

Tampa Bay at Dallas:

speaking of implosions.....*sigh*….it’s no secret I hate Greg Schiano and WHY I do…stupid buck-toothed jackass…and it’s been no secret I’m already saying “I TOLD YOU SO” after that stupid take a knee incident last week and why I’m so displeased by it all….so OF FRAKING COURSE they have to go play Dallas the next week after all this garbage….right?? Dallas should have learned its lesson last week in Seattle, and winning at home field is gonna be a big deal if Dallas expects to tease me with hope and playoff delusions….Schiano’s pee wee football garbage put a BIG target on his little team and I’m sure people will be paying attention to them now….I still don’t like Josh Freeman in the this match-up at all…the Dallas pass rush and the secondary should give him fits….a good day from Demarco Murray and this should be a pretty easy one from Dallas…TAKE THAT KNEELDOWN AND LIKE IT goat-face!!!! (and God help me if Tampa jumps out to a lead….)

Winner: Dallas (and the people who come to Sun Tavern to see my head explode: p )

Game Quality: **** (for said explosion)

4pm:

Atlanta at San Diego:

A “legit” 2-0 in Atlanta plays a lil less “legit” 2-0 in San Diego (Oakland and Tennessee?? CMONN), and boy has Atlanta impressed with their two wins (hell they may have ended the Chiefs season in one week….)…both these teams have big passing games and underrated defenses…the Michael Turner homecoming may have been disrupted by his little drinking binge (like I said, I think Turner was drinking so he could see the field like Peyton Manning did that night….heh)….as good and impressed as I’ve been with Atlanta (and eating some humble pie in the process)….the Falcons look like that 13-3 team again….but all that aside…I can see Atlanta slipping here….especially with Carolina next week, maybe I’m relying on the gut too much (not to mention that most of it IS gone now)….I’m just using the Force here….

Winner: San Diego

Game Quality: ****

Phily at Arizona:

This is another intriguing game….but not like Atlanta and San Diego…this is more “in a league of 1-1 teams everywhere….HOW THE HELL ARE THESE TWO 2-0?!?!?!”…the Kevin Kolb sub-plot is intriguing….not to mention the sloppiness of the Vick/o-line situation….both teams have good defenses, and a bit of wacky magic too (you explain that missed FG after the miracle fumble ANY other way…)…you can make a very easy case for either one of these teams to win OR lose this game….that does make this a bit more intriguing….and alright….I admit it…damned if I know what’s gonna happen here…but it WILL be wacky….and when in doubt…choose the home field….and spit out some clichés that we will miss in our lives during the NHL lockout….

Winner: Arizona

Game Quality: ***

Pittsburgh at Oakland:

People are calling the Raiders the worst team in football now….I say they need to watch the Titans a few times first….least the Raiders have executed SUCCESSFUL PUNTING…hooray!!! The Steelers seemed to right the ship against the Jets and it’s going to be a tough, long sledding for Run DMC and the Raiders…and few teams know and own Carson Palmer like the Steelers have….maybe this is the game the Steelers can say “screw it we got this” and fix that awful running game of theirs….the big name Steelers are out…but it don’t matter in this one….the Raiders are pretty futile….sweep it up and move along here….

Winner: Steelers

Game Quality: DUD

Houston at Denver:

Denver comes home with their tail between their legs and wondering who slipped the roofie in Peyton Manning’s Gatorade Monday Night (yes that was quite brutal…), but at least they come home to the Mile High No Huddle Offense….however, the best way to counter that is a good running game….and no one’s got a better one then the Texans…a good D…and helluva pass rush lead by JJ Watt….not to mention the Texans are VERY familiar with Manning….this might be one of those “payback” games….and Houston IS the better team….the 4pm games are gonna be some good watchings this week!

Winner: Houston

8pm:

New England at Baltimore:

The Patriots have O-Line issues…like my Madden team issues (but I have Cutler in my Madden team, so 4 sacks a game is like paradise to him…)…no Hercules Hernandez at TE, the running game is still eh….Brady is hearing footsteps….and the Ravens are looking much improved…and Billy Cundiff is shanking kicks in DC now….not to mention the Ravens shoulda had the Eagles last week too….…the Pats are 6-0 against the Ravens in the regular season….that’s due to change too….the Purple Haze finally gets one here…..and I am a bit down on the Patriots right now….I admit this…..

Winner: Ravens

Monday Sept. 24:

Green Bay at Seattle:

This too should be a good game….the Packers seem to have found themselves in the pass game and certainly on the defense (the Bears line will make anyone look like the fearsome foursome….)….Seattle does play a good D, and they have big corners which should help press the Packer WRs…the 12th man is huge for them, but this is Green Bay and A-Rod and this offense is due to explode one of these days and Seattle might feel a bit too good about themselves after the Dallas game last week…and if the Packers can crank up the offense….there’s NO WAY Seattle’s gonna keep up with them…and like I said…the Packers are do to let one rip here….and I think Seattle’s ripe for the pickings…..

Winner: Packers

Game Quality: ***

NFL Power Rankings Week 2:

AFC:

• Houston…they won two “bye’s”, but still they won ‘em…
  • San Diego….see Houston….
  • Baltimore…SHOULD be 2-0…oh well (not loving the AFC still)
  • New England….might want to work on that blocking thing….
  • Denver….lost to a REAL GOOD Atlanta team at least….

NFC:
  • 49ers….look simply awesome at this point…..
  • Atlanta….two very impressive wins indeed….
  • Green Bay….the beast may be awakening….
  • Phily…smoke n mirrors still gets you 2-0….
  • Arizona….wins over Seattle and New England…what can I say?

Still plenty of game left but you might be 17-16 in picks if Carolina's defense keeps letting 2nd-teamers like Andre Brown and Ramses Barden smoke them. :P

It's so miserable now I'd be JUST AS AWFUL WITH OPPOSITE PICKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :rant:

It's so miserable now I'd be JUST AS AWFUL WITH OPPOSITE PICKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :rant:

In light of this, I would strongly request that you quickly re-write your prediction to New England before it's too late. Don't ruin my night. Especially, without Suggs who usually makes Brad miserable.

In light of this, I would strongly request that you quickly re-write your prediction to New England before it's too late. Don't ruin my night. Especially, without Suggs who usually makes Brad miserable.

Why? Like I said....I'd be at 50% with "opposite picks" anyway :P

Haha wow - an official in Dallas game threw his cap well into the field of play, Ogletree tripped on it in the end zone, and it probably cost them the touchdown since the only defender on him also fell (on his own) as the throw came Ogletree's way.

Edited by nmigliore

Lots of wild finishes today...

The Lions/Titans game was really crazy, I'm not sure I can say much more than that. Detroit really hasn't look that impressive; if not for that late comeback in St. Louis, they could have been 0-3 despite playing 2 pretty bleh teams in the Rams and Titans.

Indy/Jacksonville was wild too; Cecil Shorts strikes again!

Jets game was just pure ASS... Glad the Dolphins wanted to lose more but the Revis injury may nuke the season. Blah.

Big upsets in Minny and Arizona, especially Minny. Ponder looks more and more like the real deal and so does Arizona's defense.

The Saints are almost certainly cooked; heart-breaking OT loss, 0-3 start in a tough conference. Yikes.

The Falcons are awesome and Matt Ryan is your next elite QB.

Thrilling finish to the Broncos/Texans game but again an awful 1st half kills Denver.

Oakland!

Jesus H fvcking Christ Bill, do you think your defense can make a stop in one of this big games with the game on the line JUST ONCE?! Keep telling yourself you're some kind of genius. Brady can't bail you and your D out every friggin' game.

That was the worst officiated game I have ever scene. I am embarrassed to call this a "win". My boys are again on Thursday, but I can't watch this crap anymore. The owners suck and have tainted the season so far.

Yeah, good for Al Michaels for calling out the NFL on it.

I wanted to punch Belichick so badly today...don't blame the refs because you couldn't come up with a defensive gameplan yet again. The Ravens made it look easy at the end, and even worse, I KNEW they would. And McCourty blows as much this year as he did last.

Billy Boy's getting fined for that. He was blowing his stack earlier in the drive too when he thought one of the Ravens didn't go out of bounds but the refs said he did and stopped the clock.

The NFL warned everyone not to verbally degrade the officials, let alone touch them. Come tomorrow, watch the league step in and make an example out of BB. He'll get fined BIG TIME and may possibly even be suspended for 1 game.. and fvck him for doing that!! You NEVER put your hands on an official. EVER!! Those guys are no where near as consistent as the regular officials.. but they have a job to do too, and that was completely unacceptable.