Hedberg or Brodeur

Guadana

in really all we understand that marty will be a starter

i just wanna know your thoughts

if we will battle with flo - i think marty is an ideal option

but if it will be bruins i don`t believe that marty can win four winning goalie duel

Marty's been red hot since the all star break. No way Hedberg can sustain the level of play Marty has. No guarantee Marty will either, but you have a much better chance with Marty. Rest him occasionally if you get the chance, but Marty's the man here.

Marty the first two games and if things go sour, roll the dice on Hedberg.

I don't think it is "roll the dice on Hedberg". Hedberg has had more pressure on him playing a few games than Marty playing all the time and Hedberg has played very good considering this pressure, Marty will start all playoff games because that's what Marty wants. But if Marty lets in a few softies like he has in the past playoffs then maybe Hedberg will get a chance to play. It would be a major accomplishment if the Devils can get to round two, we should all be happy and not expect more from this team this season.

Marty the first two games and if things go sour, roll the dice on Hedberg.

This is pretty much as I see it...I think Hedberg has played himself into a position where, if Marty struggles in Games 1 and 2, Hedberg gets Game 3...if he plays phenomenally, he probably even gets Game 4, though I think Marty would likely get Game 5, just because. In other seasons, save for his first full season in the NHL, no way that would have been a consideration, the backup getting in there if Marty started slowly. It would have been Marty-or-bust.

when detroit started thiers run for 2008 cup - hasek was starter.after osgood take a place and win the cup. but we are more brodeur team. we are one goalie team than another one in nhl history i think. it`s our miracle for past. it`s our curse for present and nearest future

Hedberg doesnt even exist once the playoffs start unless Marty is historically bad or gets hurt. Its not even worth thinking about.

I personally think Hedberg may get a game if the series' go very long i.e. if the first round goes 7 and then its clear that the next round is going to be a slog as well, we may see Hedberg in a game 4 or 5 sort of situation if we have a series lead, but it really just boils down to how Marty is feeling. I dont see him voluntarily giving up a playoff start at all.

Marty's been red hot since the all star break. No way Hedberg can sustain the level of play Marty has.

Brodeur's won 4 games of his last 13.

I get the admiration our fans have for Marty, but the "All-Star Surge" was weeks ago. For the year, Brodeur's got 26 wins and 24 losses. After the all-star break he won 8 games of a 9 game span! Don't get me wrong, he earned those wins. I'm not trying to say they were a fluke.. but they definitely saved his season. Had he gone .500 throughout those games, it's highly possible he'd have a losing record by this point.

It's Brodeur's team until he says so. Like it or not, Moose won't see a game in the playoffs if marty is playing well.

Oh I agree with you 100%.. I just find that rather irritating.

Moose has more shutouts in far less games.. the lower GAA.. the higher Sv%. So why hasn't he earned the right to see postseason play? :noclue:

Moose has more shutouts in far less games.. the lower GAA.. the higher Sv%. So why hasn't he earned the right to see postseason play? :noclue:

<companyline>Because he backs up and was hired to back up the all time winningest goaltender in the game's history who has led us to 3 Stanley Cups.</companyline>

There's a reason moose has been a career back up. I love the guy, but he's playing a back up schedule and thriving. Brodeurs consistency is why he starts in the playoffs. When you have a goalie with those credentials, you start him in the playoffs.

As for sitting Marty half the games going into the playoffs, that is a terrible idea. You have to let him find his rythym these next few games. He hasn't played badly, but he hasn't been at his best.

Marty flat out stunk last night against the Leafs. I say sit him now and rest him up for the playoffs and give Moose at least 50% of the remaining games.

I'll take your word for it, though I listened to the game on XMRadio and didnt get the sense he was the problem.

Marty flat out stunk last night against the Leafs. I say sit him now and rest him up for the playoffs and give Moose at least 50% of the remaining games.

I thought the d flat out stunk. They couldn't get a clear a couple of times, and kept bumping into Marty as well. The second goal was set up by bad play by Henrique and Fayne. Maybe Marty could have made one more save, but the goals came on bad plays by lots of guys.

There's a reason moose has been a career back up. I love the guy, but he's playing a back up schedule and thriving. Brodeurs consistency is why he starts in the playoffs. When you have a goalie with those credentials, you start him in the playoffs.

As for sitting Marty half the games going into the playoffs, that is a terrible idea. You have to let him find his rythym these next few games. He hasn't played badly, but he hasn't been at his best.

This. If we're going to win a cup, we need Marty to be damn close to career Marty, which he was, at least for a couple of weeks, after the All Star break. Considering he's not playing like sh!t by any stretch of the imagination, we need to put him in the best position to succeed. Moose at his best will not win us the cup. Marty at his best could (not a guarantee by any stretch of the imagination). We're not as lucky as Boston, Nashville or the Rags in net. Marty's far from a guarantee at this point, but we know what he's been capable of, we know he can still sustain it for a few weeks at a time, and for better or worse, we need to ride him and hope he does. I'd rather rest him a little, 1 in 3 or 4 games maybe, game 4 or 5 of a series if we're leading, but we need to let him keep his rhythm, and hope he brings it.

No he didn't. He played better than the numbers showed (14 saves on 17 shots). I didn't come out of that game thinking "Wow, Marty didn't really have it tonight."

I think the tempting assumption regarding Moose is something along the lines of "Moose has played well in the few games he's seen, give him a ton more!"

We can't assume Moose would keep up his stellar play in consecutive games; he's a backup. He does a fantastic job at what backups do; he isn't necessarily built to start a ton of games like Marty is

marty was fine and far from the reason for the loss. that being said, "fine" will not get the devils very far in the playoffs. for the devils to get past the 2nd round and even into the finals, marty needs to be 02-03 playoff marty.

They tied the game in regulation. The OT was tie. The Shoot Out started with Kovy scoring first. You know the results Toronto 3 shots 3 goals vs Devils 3 shots 2 goals. Is it Elias to be blamed for the missing a point for missing a goal? Or is it the goalie you called "fine" and ""FAR" from the reason for the loss". Sorry no one else was in goal with the job of stopping the puck? Two scores on the glove side and one down low. Sorry I don't call that "fine" It was his plate, his food.

Edited by LucifersDog

They tied the game in regulation. The OT was tie. The Shoot Out started with Kovy scoring first. You know the results Toronto 3 shots 3 goals vs Devils 3 shots 2 goals. Is it Elias to be blamed for the missing a point for missing a goal?

..maybe our offense is to be blamed for not scoring 4 or 5 during the game. Or perhaps the defense should've help allow less than 18 shots. :rolleyes: Comical how everyone and everything gets the finger point, aside from Marty. *Newsflash; You're not any less a fan to acknowledge when your goalie had a bad game.. especially when he acquiesces the fact. "That was a tough game for me. It’s my job to try to get a big save somehow and try to win. We should've won that game."

Fact is Marty's won 4 out of his last 13. He absolutely needs to pick up his play, if we're to sustain any type of long run into the playoffs.

I understand the love our fanbase as for Brodeur. All-time great.. the franchise.. I get it. But he's got 26 wins in 53 played. Back on topic of this thread.. if Brodeur struggles at all come April, Hedberg will see playoff time.

..you could tell his was pissed at himself.

..and I admire that about him. It goes to show you that despite being 40, and having won everything possible there is to win, he still cares.

Edited by Beezer34
  • Like 2