Thomas will take a sabbatical

SterioDesign

Who cares? It's his career, let him do what he wants.

He signed a 4 year contract to play for the Bruins. He's basically not honoring it. Under the current CBA the Bruins can suspend him for it. It's a big story especially if you're a Bruins fan, or a fan of another team looking to acquire a goaltender in a trade.

He signed a 4 year contract to play for the Bruins. He's basically not honoring it. Under the current CBA the Bruins can suspend him for it. It's a big story especially if you're a Bruins fan, or a fan of another team looking to acquire a goaltender in a trade.

That is the only legitimate gripe. For everyone saying he shouldn't take time off because he's already getting old and whatever, contract issues aside then hey if that's what he wants to do then that's what he wants to do.

This man worked hard throughout his life to make it in the NHL and now he does this. I do not care if you are being traded or going to be a backup on a team. You are getting paid FIVE MILLION DOLLARS to play a sport you love. This just disgusts me. My team pays $2200 every fall and summer just to play 15 games. If you told me two years ago that Thomas wouldn't show up at the White House and now taking a year off I would not believe it.

Edited by Zubie#8

This man worked hard throughout his life to make it in the NHL and now he does this. I do not care if you are being traded or going to be a backup on a team. You are getting paid FIVE MILLION DOLLARS to play a sport you love. This just disgusts me. My team pays $2200 every fall and summer just to play 15 games. If you told me two years ago that Thomas wouldn't show up at the White House and now taking a year off I would not believe it.

Tim Thomas has paid his dues in the NHL more than just about anyone. He spent his mid-twenties bouncing from team to team and country to country.

If I were a Bruins fan, the only thing I'd be upset about is the $5M cap hit that might be left because of his contract, but the Devils disposed of Malakhov's deal and I imagine the Bruins will be able to send the fake Thomas contract somewhere as well. But any player has the right to say he doesn't want to play anymore - it's their life.

• Like 1

Tim Thomas has paid his dues in the NHL more than just about anyone. He spent his mid-twenties bouncing from team to team and country to country.

If I were a Bruins fan, the only thing I'd be upset about is the $5M cap hit that might be left because of his contract, but the Devils disposed of Malakhov's deal and I imagine the Bruins will be able to send the fake Thomas contract somewhere as well. But any player has the right to say he doesn't want to play anymore - it's their life.

Exactly, he worked hard to get here and now he is just going to take a year off? I am sorry but that is not right to the team, the fans, and to himself.

If he were retiring, I'd agree with this. But he's just taking a year off. He's not honoring his contract because he wants a year long vacation, I don't think it's so clear. Bruins committed X amount of dollars to him to get Tim Thomas for the next 4 years, he's given more than enough back on that contract but the fact remains.

Exactly, he worked hard to get here and now he is just going to take a year off? I am sorry but that is not right to the team, the fans, and to himself.

So it's right for him to keep playing because his teammates might want him to? He was terrible in the 2nd half of last year. Would they really want that Tim Thomas?

Thomas isn't holding out - he just doesn't want to play. If the Bruins want to toll the contract and get him in 2013-14, they can.

Every NHL player has obligations to the fans and the team. Everyone sacrifices their personal life to contribute to the game of hockey. This man has an obligation to that 4 year contract and for him to take a year off is a slap to the face to everyone. Just retire. He is a disgrace to the NHL that's the bottom line.

Edited by Zubie#8

Good. I'm glad he's not going to play. Let him take his stick and go home.

This also means he won't be playing for the national team. While that is 2 years away, him taking a year off almost certainly will rule out an invite. I'm perfectly fine with Quick and Miller handling that.

I also find it hilarious he tries to sell stuff in his stupid statement.

From the earliest age I can remember, I've wanted to be a hockey player. I've been blessed in my life to not only be able to live that dream, but to achieve more than I ever thought possible.

The singleminded focus that is necessary to accomplish a dream of this magnitude entails (by necessity) sacrifice in other areas and relationships in life.

At the age of 38, I believe it is time to put my time and energies into those areas and relationships that I have neglected. That is why at this time I feel the most important thing I can do in my life is to reconnect with the three F's.

Friends, Family, and Faith.

This is what I plan on doing over the course of the next year.

On top of this, I will continue to train using the ARP/POV system www.ultrafitevosport.com and work with G-Form www.g-form.com in the development of protective equipment.

What does this portend for the future?

We'll see….God's will be done.

Edited by ghdi

Ick.

See now I look at this guys body of evidence and I MUST conclude he is not a smart person.

This is the kind of thing that creeps me out. There really are normal STUPID people out there. It boggles the mind.

and I don't understand why I have such trouble accepting it.

Now anyone who wants to is free to come on here and defend the guys intellect. But if anyone honestly feels he's not dimwitted.... honestly, can find an intelligent logical reason for his choices I guess I'll say in fairness. Like -- Niedermayer - smart annoying man. Thomas -- MORON. just moron. I despair of these guys and wish they'd all go be democrats quite honestly. What a fvcking embarrassment this dude is to the human race. It's these borderline guys who could dupe me into befriending them that I have real trouble.Cannot exculpate... well -- this morning anyhow. I probably won't give a sh!t in an hour or two <_<

It's the way he PARADES his incomprehensible stupidity. Thats what make it so profound to me. MORON! STFU dude. No one CARES that you're an idiot --- keep it behind closed doors you complete and utter UNAMUSING FOOL!

I'm sick of paid his dues sh!t too.

It's a sport -- you're good or you're not. You don't have fvckin' dues to pay. You work hard because you think you want something. So fine Thomas decided he's not so sure. Well he's already been sure, done sure and now it' time to quit. Not put a sign on the bathroom door - out of order -- until you just decide to get off the fvcking pot.

The term "paid his dues" implies deserves, has earned the right to be an a$$hole. Clarkson earned a spot on an NHL roster. Sykora earned a chance to play on the Devils this season.... but none paid their dues. Dues <_< Dues goes in a pot for everyone to share - it's not some get out jail free card. You don't get to stop paying dues just because you're in the club.

it's not you Tri, or even the expression, so much as a stupid person like Thomas evoking the term to defend his weak-minded choices.

How would that not be cap circumvention?

My guess would be because he's not retired. You can trade a player -- shoot this is even cause to trade not circumvention.

How is it that you think it WOULD be circumvention. That the Bruins asked him not to retire so they could trade him away for nothing and not take the cap hit? He doesn't seem that generous a (stupid) guy.

My guess would be because he's not retired. You can trade a player -- shoot this is even cause to trade not circumvention.

And you can sign free agents but apparently you can't be egregious about cap manipulation, which is what I feel this falls under.

How is it that you think it WOULD be circumvention. That the Bruins asked him not to retire so they could trade him away for nothing and not take the cap hit? He doesn't seem that generous a (stupid) guy.

No, nothing to do with the Bruins rather whatever hypothetical team tries to get free cap hit. If such a team were to actually trade for him after Thomas publicly stated he won't be playing, that violates the spirit of the cap rules as much as the Kovy contract did.

Hell in Kovy's case they said it was circumvention because Kovy most likely wouldn't play the final years of his contract, here Thomas is flat out declaring he won't.

Edited by squishyx