GDT - Edmonton @ New Jersey, 7:00pm

Z-Man

He really has been sensational for a while now.  No more than two goals allowed in regulation in 13 starts.  A .943 save% in 14 games since 12/28.  And the Devils have needed every bit of it.

and his goal support is just ridiculous. I was listening to Matt and sherry run down his games and I think it was something like 9 of his starts the devils scored 2 goals, 12 starts they scored 1 and 5 starts they were shutout. It's insane how little support he's had.

Btw Merrill had an excellent game tonight even before the gwg. I'm glad he got it, he deserved it after how solid he was all night.

This win was like pulling teeth, but it was 100% deserved. The Devils outplayed Edmonton, controlled the boards well...but as usual turned Bryzgalov into Roy (what a nightmare goalie he is really. In baseball you have guess hitter...Bryzgalov is a guess goalie. He always looks so wild and uncomfortable) nonetheless they hit him with the puck more than they should have, they had their usual 2-3 posts, and they also had far too many overhandles of the puck. Far too many times they should've just shot and instead they stickhandled or skated themselves out of a scoring chance.

Cory was great when he needed to be. Again the Devils got caught late in regulation with guys on the ice that shouldn't have been on the ice but it didn't come back to bite them. I thought Henrique had a good game...Jagr was on the puck tonight but made some poor decisions with it. Didn't really notice Elias. Salvador looked alright against a team that would usually make him look bad.

I seriously hate it when Zidlicky doesn't shoot.  Why would he stop doing it when it was the reason he was so good early on?  That play in the 1st is inexcusable.

Now for tomorrow night.  I think it's fair to say we need to win this in regulation.  But even if they don't it'll be fine.

But seriously, a regulation win is needed for morale more than anything,

Edited by Mike Brown
  • Like 1

I introduced my girlfriend to hockey during the Panthers Devils series in 11. After game 1 she was amazed at how exciting it is. Since then, she hasn't missed a game. Not one. If we miss it, we watch it on tape delay. She knows the players better than I do sometimes, and has conversations with me about how livid she is with DeBoer stuffing the talent with slow vets.

And she's attractive.

What the hell, man. I'm lucky.

u gonna put a ring on it? Sounds like a real keeper. haha

We hit a couple of posts, had another puck swept away at the blue line. Edmonton had won 4 of their last 5. This isn't a "bad" win. We deserved this 3-1 in regulation.

That's better, but still. Seemingly every game is painstakingly close. This team is the definition of snake bitten. 

I lucked out big time, dating a Devils fan (who had started following them long before I came along) coming from a family of Ranger fans. The holidays tend to get interesting to say the least. 

Edmonton bloggers had chances for NJ at 62% of the total scoring chances in the game - seems high, but Edmonton made a lot of long passes that had little chance of connecting (and the one that did that turned into their goal).  

TG claimed Ryder 'looked lost' tonight and while he did make one awful turnover, he had 5 shots on goal and hit a post.  I think it was one of his best games in a while but he has to start scoring some time.

Elias at less than 15 minutes - has Elias lost some of his effectiveness this year?  Or is DeBoer just managing his ice time knowing that the Olympics are going to put a strain on him?

Elias ice time has been on a small, steady descent since that injury he suffered on New Years Eve. He hasn't seen 20 minutes since that game, and has seen 14 and change which was unheard of before it.

I think whatever he injured flares up from time to time and Deboer adjusts accordingly. Still Elias has had some nice efforts of late, he was pretty good against Nashville and Dallas and played well in the Rag outdoor disaster.

Playing with Brunner definitely can't be helping Elias at all.

I thought that line had good energy tonight, actually. Brunner is the right type of player to play with Elias, I think, his speed kind've makes up for what Elias lost and creates another dimension to both of their games. That being said, if Brunner is going to be in a scoring drought, it doesn't really matter how fast he skates, but then again, if you don't give our guys ice time because they haven't been scoring, we wouldn't be able to roll out a team.

I thought that line had good energy tonight, actually. Brunner is the right type of player to play with Elias, I think, his speed kind've makes up for what Elias lost and creates another dimension to both of their games. That being said, if Brunner is going to be in a scoring drought, it doesn't really matter how fast he skates, but then again, if you don't give our guys ice time because they haven't been scoring, we wouldn't be able to roll out a team.

and when you're Elias and you miss the entire net on a pretty much open lane at the goal, you're gonna have problems no matter who's on your line

The Elias and Brunner line just kind of existed imo last night. Neither Elias or Brunner had a shot despite having really favorable zone starts (not having a single EV start in the D zone). They should've done better. Not sure how much Zajac or Gionta produced specifically on that line but it definitely wasn't much.

In terms of creating chances I actually thought Clowe-Henrique-Ryder was fantastic. 12 shots total and killed the Oilers in possession despite tough zone starts.

Going back to Brunner, he's lucky he's a RW otherwise he'd have to worry about getting scratched. 7 games without a goal and just 1 assist and 6 shots. This guy is such an enigma.

Edited by thefiestygoat

I introduced my girlfriend to hockey during the Panthers Devils series in 11. After game 1 she was amazed at how exciting it is. Since then, she hasn't missed a game. Not one. If we miss it, we watch it on tape delay. She knows the players better than I do sometimes, and has conversations with me about how livid she is with DeBoer stuffing the talent with slow vets.

And she's attractive.

What the hell, man. I'm lucky.

You are lucky brother. If she has a sister or a friend, tell her to send them my way. :P

and when you're Elias and you miss the entire net on a pretty much open lane at the goal, you're gonna have problems no matter who's on your line

And don't forget about the missed breakaway.  He has to bury one of those.  He didn't look all that good last night.

Brunner had a real nice rush where he owned Justin Schultz but then inexplicably passed the puck.  He was on the puck a fair amount last night but just didn't do much with it, ultimately.  That's a problem, I think - when playing with Elias and Zajac, Brunner shouldn't be the guy with the puck.

Brunner had a real nice rush where he owned Justin Schultz but then inexplicably passed the puck.  He was on the puck a fair amount last night but just didn't do much with it, ultimately.  That's a problem, I think - when playing with Elias and Zajac, Brunner shouldn't be the guy with the puck.

brunner really is just a streaky player.. i dont get the guy he goes a few games in a row being hot and then its like he goes on vacation for a while.. everyones inconsistency is whats killing us.

Granted I was sleepy and such, but what did Loktionov do to deserve coming off the top line? He got 6:36 with Jagr and Zubrus and that was it.

well he scored a goal, so, there was that.

elias/ lokti or jj/ just makes sense with brunner as a line; you can switch elias back and forth from center to wing.

more line shuffling from Debo just looks awkward.

hawkward.jpeg

I hope we see more of that shot he has.

like tonight even.