Official 2014 New York Mets Thread

nmigliore

Well the umpires tried to help the Mariners out, but they get the challenge right at 1st...though the run scores. Now with 2 down in the bottom of the 8th the Mets have to get Endy Chavez out to strand the runner at 3rd

And they do. Terry's stupidity cost them, but not completely just yet

Edited by '7'

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That was a hell of a play by Campbell. 

Familia's growth has been a shocker for me; back in April I would've lost no sleep releasing to a a guy I actually have confidence in in a big spot. That mid-90's sinker and upper-80's slider combo is filthy. 

By the way, check out some of the names in the Mariners' lineup.... Endy Chavez, James Jones, Corey Hart (has been a disaster), Logan Morrison, Dustin Ackley, Jesus Sucre, Willie Bloomquist.... Cano and Seager are great, but goodness what an ugly lineup for a team that is currently occupying a playoff spot.

Edited by nmigliore

Good, Flores is on a Dimaggio like tear down there...maybe he comes back roaring like d'Arnaud did. Would be nice to finally see some xbh from our SS position

He's still quite young, plenty of guys dont round into solid mlb hitters until they are 2 years older than Wilmer. I remember both Howard and Utley were late bloomers, as well as Hundley

Good, Flores is on a Dimaggio like tear down there...maybe he comes back roaring like d'Arnaud did. Would be nice to finally see some xbh from our SS position

He's still quite young, plenty of guys dont round into solid mlb hitters until they are 2 years older than Wilmer. I remember both Howard and Utley were late bloomers, as well as Hundley

Yeah, I mentioned this last week but it's really easy to forget how young Flores is given the fact he's been in the system for what seems like ages. When Murphy was Flores' age, he was hitting .285/.338/.430 in high-A.

Edit: LOL halt the breaks on the Flores call-up, jeez. And TC already said Campbell will play SS tomorrow.... the Mets realize there is such a thing as the 7-day concussion DL, right?

Ruben Tejada feels "pretty good," Terry Collins said. Doctors said no symptoms. Will travel with team. No call-up coming.

Edited by nmigliore

Gee's been running on pixie dust for over a year now. I think he's in for a rough 2nd half.

At least Duda keeps cranking them! wRC+ is now up to 141... pretty incredible. 

Edited by nmigliore

Mets to Rockies: Let’s talk Tulowitzki, Gonzalez trade

http://nypost.com/2014/07/24/mets-to-rockies-lets-talk-tulowitzki-cargo-trades/

As a symbol of where they are in their rebuilding effort and the growing strength of their farm system, Mets officials have told their Rockies counterparts if Troy Tulowitzki or Carlos Gonzalez are ever made available, they want in on the action.

Rockies ownership has strongly stated it does not want to deal CarGo and, especially, Tulowitzki. But the extended run of poor play by the franchise, the growing contracts of the two players and the teeming disenchantment of the fan base has moved many within the industry to believe that decision could change, if not now, then this offseason.

An AL executive who checked in with the Rockies described a club in some disarray concerning who will be making front office decisions in the future, but not ready yet to trade a huge piece now. An NL executive said he believes owner Dick Monfort will consider the move more than ever, but ultimately is too loyal and committed to those players to move them.

Edited by '7'

Tulo will cost the world -- he's one of the best players in baseball with a contract that pays him about half of what he'd get on the open market (and his deal remains team-friendly even at the back-end). I know executives/writers/fans like to say the Mets are a perfect match because of the pitching but that's an oversimplification; if the Rockies don't confine their market to pitching-only, they can and should do better than what we can offer. I'd be looking for an elite young hitting prospect/player in return as the main piece -- someone like Kris Bryant, Gregory Polanco, or Xander Bogaerts -- along with a bunch of other interesting stuff. Dave Cameron of Fangraphs recently compared his Tulo's trade value to that of Herschel Walker and ranked him inside the top 10 of trade value.  

CarGo is more realistic, though. He's nowhere in Tulo's league as a player, only has 3 years left on his deal, is having a down year (likely due to a growth he had in his finger), etc... He'd still cost quite a bit because of what he's done the last 2-4 years, but he's more realistic than Tulo, as much as I'd absolutely LOVE to somehow pry away Tulo.

Edited by nmigliore

Tulo still has his share of health concerns as well. So that may drop his price down a tad and make teams hesitant to include a bigtime hitting prospect. Tulowitzki is simply not a 150+ game a year player. He is a GREAT player, but there is also a very good possibility he's going to be not in the lineup 30-50 times a season. Seems like his future may be an AL DH eventually.

While we have the horses to get him I wouldn't want to give up Noah AND Nimmo (a deal would probably start with both of them) for Tulo.

A CarGo deal is likely one or the other.

I would deal Thor and Nimmo and plenty more in a heartbeat. I just don't think Colorado entertains that unless they LOVE the Mets' arms and go with a package of need over a package of best players available. 

I'm not worried too about Tulo's injuries. Sure he misses more games than you'd like but he's so good that he could play 120-130 games a year and still be worth superstar value.

2010: 122 games, 27 HR, 140 wRC+, +5.9 WAR (#1 among SS, #16 in MLB)

2011: 143 games, 30 HR, 133 wRC+, +5.6 WAR (#2 among SS, #19 in MLB)

2013: 126 games, 25 HR, 142 wRC+, +5.5 WAR (#1 among SS, #17 in MLB)

2014:   91 games, 21 HR, 172 wRC+, +5.1 WAR (#1 among SS, #2 in MLB)

2012 was the one year where he missed significant time because he had groin surgery, but every other year he's been amazing. WAR is cumulative so injuries will negatively effect that value if you miss a lot of time; but with Tulo, he's been so amazing when he's on the field that he could literally miss 20-40 games a year and still be the best SS in baseball and a top 20 player in MLB.

His contract is also a big bargain; he'd easily get over $200 million if he hit the open market this winter. His contract is only guaranteed through his age-35 season as well, and his salary drops from $20 million per from ages 30-34 to $14 million at 35 followed by a $15 million team option for age-36.

Edited by nmigliore

It's kind of funny how the starting pitcher trade market is shaping up. The Phillies are telling teams Hamels isn't available, the Padres want a ransom for Ian Kennedy, and the Rays keep winning which gives them less incentive to move Price... at this rate Colon is going to be one of the top, dare I say top, starting pitcher on the market. The says way more about the seller's market than Colon, but still... Crazy. 

Edited by nmigliore

Lucas Duda has a better OPS than Freddie Freeman this season. I feel like I'm in bizarro world. 

And the crazy part is that there really isn't anything unsustainable in the numbers; relative to his career rates he's striking out a couple ticks less and walking a tick more. The biggest gain has been in power, in which his ISO has jumped nearly 50 points. I'm still taking the under on him staying in the 40-50% above league average range as a hitter, but for the past calendar year he's at .245/.357/.460 which translates to 33% above the league average. I could see him sustaining something around that moving forward. 

Edited by nmigliore

Invigorating win. These types of victories are so few and far between that we just have to cherish them.

Saw the best and worst of Murph tonight, that's for sure.

Wheeler was fantastic once again. 5th straight start of exactly 1 earned run. Walks have been at a very acceptable level the past 4 games as well

Granderson I think is probably still weak from that stomach bug and just all out of sorts right now.

At Lake George right now and haven't been able to watch the past few days. 

On a simple level...at least the Mets have a shot to finish .500 on this trip after a poor start.  Even if they don't, at least they avoided a 2-8 or 3-7 disaster, but losing the next two games would leave a sour taste in my mouth for sure.

re:  Wheeler, yeah, another good start, and the traditional numbers in his last 5 starts are hard not to like:

32 IP, 26 H, 5 ER, 3 HR, 12 BB, 30 K, 1.41 ERA, 1.19 WHIP   

He hasn't been as dominant as the ERA suggests, and I should probably just get used to the fact that he may always be a guy who needs 100-110 pitches to get through 6+ innings and will have some high-walk games, but stringing together 5 starts where he's given his team every chance to win (and only come away with two wins himself) is pretty huge for him, especially since consistency has rarely been his strong suit. 

re:  Duda...not much to say.  The guy was given a big chance by the Mets and he has clearly made the most of it, and that's a huge deal for him because this chance might have been his last one, as far as his Mets career goes.  He'll never be a guy I have a ton of faith in in big spots (great for him for coming through last night against a guy who's also questionable in the clutch), and I could see him putting up Nick Swisher-type playoff numbers in the playoffs (not exactly a major concern right now), but he's played well enough that, as long as he doesn't drop off a cliff from here on out, I can see why a penny-pinching team like the Mets would want to see him continue to be the first baseman.  He's made himself into a guy you can live with who's putting up good numbers to boot.  But he can't disappear for the next two months.  It has to continue. 

It's still a little early to call Davis/Duda, but I'll admit that I'm finding it very hard to believe that Davis will ever play to a level that will have the Mets regretting their decision.  Both players were given a big opportunity when Davis was traded, and as much as Duda ran with his, Davis blew it.  The Pirates gave Davis every chance to come out of what has amounted to a 6-week tailspin, and he never responded.  Gaby Sanchez, who had two nice seasons in 2010 and 2011 but has done little since, is now the Pirates' starting first baseman, and this is exactly what the Pirates DIDN'T want...they don't go out and trade for Ike if they thought Sanchez could again become 2010-11 Sanchez.  I know the Bucs didn't give up much to bring Ike in, but I'm thinking unless he somehow goes on a tear from here on out, he'll have played himself out of the Pirates' plans...and even if he does go on a tear, how can anyone trust him?  They'll look at his game logs and see that extended runs of near-zero offensive production aren't exactly foreign to him.    

I know Lagares is a defensive beast, but it's really disappointing the way his game at the plate has regressed since coming off the DL.  His numbers are pretty bad:  92 AB, 22 H, .239 BA, 2 BB, 22 K.  If he's never going to be much at the plate (it's starting to look like the "progress" he had made earlier this season might have been a fluke), then there's no way Tejada can be in next year's lineup...I understand that Lagares does enough in the field that you can try to live with his lack of hitting, but the Mets can't have two near-dead bats in the lineup (even with Tejada doing more this season than I ever could have hoped for). 

re:  Gee and "pixie dust"...he does have 14 K against 2 BB in his last two starts.  I want to see if he bounces back...sometimes guys can have two or three lousy starts without it meaning that they're toast.  What sucks is Niese and Gee both getting hurt (again) has pretty much killed their trade value.  Not saying someone wouldn't take them, but there's clearly other arms that trade partners are going to ask for first...can't see Niese or Gee bringing back a whole lot at this point. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

It's kind of funny how the starting pitcher trade market is shaping up. The Phillies are telling teams Hamels isn't available, the Padres want a ransom for Ian Kennedy, and the Rays keep winning which gives them less incentive to move Price... at this rate Colon is going to be one of the top, dare I say top, starting pitcher on the market. The says way more about the seller's market than Colon, but still... Crazy. 

Mets are apparently willing to pick up $2 million of Colon's remaining 2014 dollars to move him, according to the July 25 edition of the Daily News. 

Even though his recent starts haven't been great, and his ERA is below league-average (but clearly bloated by a couple of disastrous outings), most of his numbers have been pretty good (some are even better than last year's Oakland stats).  He provides innings (on pace for 211 or so this season).  The Mets will likely have to pick up more than $2 million, but yeah, the market is shaping up in such a way that Colon might actually be the most cost-effective and reasonable option out there, in terms of what assets have to be given up.  I think the Mets, like me, would just be happy getting Colon's 2015 money off the books.