2014-2015 Lineup Thread

devilsrule33

Interesting that DeBoer doesn't have a starter for next game.  For those not in the know, Kinkaid is a Group VI unrestricted free agent this year if he doesn't play in 22 more games (playing 30+ minutes in each game, thanks to Mike Dunham's usage).  There's only 47 games left in the season, so that would mean Kinkaid basically splitting the net with Schneider going forward.

Friedman mentioned that in his column last week with regard to Matt Hackett in Buffalo, but he needs far less games to meet the requirement.

• 1 month later...

According to TG:

Devs' D pairs: Greene-Larsson; Merrill/Gelinas-Zidlicky; Fraser-Harrold.

Fraser/Harrold will not be pushed out for Gelinas. If Gelinas is coming in, it's going to be for Merrill.

Hahaha of course he will.  I mean why push out our all stars in Fraser and Harrold?

Honestly I'm starting to think Daniel was right all along. They just do more and more things that defy logic every day in terms of scratching/marginalizing guys you want to trade and rotating the non Larsson kids in the doghouse while Fraser gets to play every night in a hopeless cause

Nope.  Schneider's starting in Chicago.  They're not trying to lose on purpose.

He also started against Toronto in a game Kinkaid would have won anyway instead of getting the tougher game the next night.

Oh right.  Well with that logic, I can see why you think they're trying to lose on purpose since they know in advance which games they can win and lose.

He also started against Toronto in a game Kinkaid would have won anyway instead of getting the tougher game the next night.

I don't see how you can say that. Of the two games, Toronto was the team with the better offense so it made sense to start Cory there and then see if Kinkaid could handle Montreal in an attempt to win BOTH games.

I don't see how you can say that. Of the two games, Toronto was the team with the better offense so it made sense to start Cory there and then see if Kinkaid could handle Montreal in an attempt to win BOTH games.

You're making the case Toronto at home on an extended losing streak is a tougher matchup than Montreal on the road in a back-to-back?? Toronto's a million points behind in the standings and their offense has been mia the last two months.

You can certainly argue the merits of starting the backup in the tougher matchup but that doesn't seem to be what you're saying.

Edited by NJDevs26

You're making the case Toronto at home on an extended losing streak is a tougher matchup than Montreal on the road in a back-to-back?? Toronto's a million points behind in the standings and their offense has been mia the last two months.

You can certainly argue the merits of starting the backup in the tougher matchup but that doesn't seem to be what you're saying.

No, I'm making the case that Toronto has the more skilled shooters, which is made evident by the team's ability to score on a higher percentage of their shots than most teams in the league. They've been in the top 10 for team S% and have higher than Montreal in every year since the 11-12 season. So with that in mind, it makes sense to start Schneider in that game since he was more likely to face a higher quantity of quality shots and scoring chances against Toronto than Kinkaid would against Montreal. It ended up that Monteal routed us, but there's no way of knowing that would be the result prior to the game being played.

Despite the team being bad overall, they have a formidable offense that gets a lot of shots on net even though the team on the whole usually allows more shots than they take. I really think that Toronto has a good team, maybe not an elite one, but still a good team that would definitely make the playoffs if they had a quality coach for a full season so they could learn to play a real system. It's really tough to take a team that's been coached as badly as Toronto was under Carlyle and make them into a cohesive unit when you take over mid-season. There's not exactly a ton of time to practice during the season for a coach to really get a team to radically change their approach.

Edited by ATLL765

I am the only one that wants to see what Josefson can do with more minutes and on the 1st or 2nd line?  I mean, the guy has been a work in progress for like 5 years now, and he's really only one of the young prospects we have left that has actually had some significant NHL time, just not enough to really gauge his ability and potential if he were surrounded by better linemates.

I think it's great to see Zubrus on the 4th line finally, his play doesn't warrant anything other than that.  Is it confirmed Ryder is back in the lineup and on the 4th as well?  Also, what is Havlat scratched?