GDT: Bolts at Brodeur-Lead DEVILS 7:30

ThreeCups

Last year when he kept on starting Moose and putting the blame on the offence defending Hedberg even though he would have gave up 7 5-hole goals that game

You can't take that stuff seriously. Coaches just don't throw goalies under the bus, even though it's warranted. Whenever they do, it's a huge story. PDB knew who was to blame and it's easier to blame the group than the individual. Everybody in that room knew who was not performing, Hedberg included.

You can't take that stuff seriously. Coaches just don't throw goalies under the bus, even though it's warranted. Whenever they do, it's a huge story. PDB knew who was to blame and it's easier to blame the group than the individual. Everybody in that room knew who was not performing, Hedberg included.

Never said he should have thrown him under the bus (ala Torts) be in this situation it would not have been crazy to give a game to Kinkaid at that point.

I don't really put too much stock into single game faceoffs though due to sample size. Zajac's not a great faceoff man but neither is anyone on the Devils (min. 80 FO's: Zajac 51.0%, Loktinov 44.8, Gionta 44.6, Elias 43.4%, Henrique 40.8%). Plus Zajac has taken 200 draws while the next most for a Devil player is 147.

Zajac struggled tonight but oddly enough had his most success (3/4) against Filppula who is TB's best faceoff man at 56.2% whom he faced more than any other TB player. At the end of the day it just wasn't Zajac's night in the circle while Henrique did much better than usual.

Zajac had the best FO% (min. 300 draws) last year for any Devil at 57.4% while taking 201 more of them than Henrique who had the 2nd most attempts and 2nd best FO% at 49.0. Zajac pretty much missed 2011-12. In 2010-11 Zajac took 1,278 draws, 528 more then Arnott who had the 2nd most attempts and 3rd best FO% (min. 400 draws) at 51.3 while Zajac's was 55.3 which was 2nd on the team, though Zubrus who led only took 449 draws. Trend tends to keep repeating in the preceding years as well. Zajac may not be great when it comes to faceoffs, but he doesn't hurt the Devils. Add in what he does during the play after the draw and that's why I am such a believer in the contract Lou gave him.

Another thing is I feel like FO% can be a bit misleading in a general sense. I do value it, but maybe not as much as others. The main reason for this is there are occasions where you intentionally lose by pushing the puck forward (neutral zone draw push puck into offensive zone) so that you can try to create a turnover on the forecheck or get setup in the neutral zone to create a tough zone entry for the opposition. I know this isn't the case most of the time but teams I played for often used set plays like that.

I'd take 55-57% from him.  When you go from that to 51%, that's kind of a significant dropoff for a guy like Travis.  You can say it's a small sample size so far but that wasn't my point.  If he's not going to score you kind of want Travis to 'at least' be +55% in faceoffs (especially with the lack of options elsewhere) and he hasn't been that this year.

Edited by NJDevs4978

I'd take 55-57% from him.  When you go from that to 51%, that's kind of a significant dropoff for a guy like Travis.  You can say it's a small sample size so far but that wasn't my point.  If he's not going to score you kind of want Travis to 'at least' be +55% in faceoffs (especially with the lack of options elsewhere) and he hasn't been that this year.

If he'd won 8 more draws to date he'd been at 55%. That difference is so small you could probably chalk it up to the scorer, or the wingers for that matter. Not to mention they've played a lot of road games. Sample size, debatable influence of face offs on scoring etc etc, but I think this is a pretty unimportant stat at this point in the season.

Edited by Marshall

Larsson was fantastic. Gelinas struggled a bit but man do I love his slap shot. Refreshing to see a Dman of ours not softly wrist a puck towards goal. Marty was decent but def looks slower this year on reflexes and recovery.

maybe its a consistency thing for him.. cant imagine him being much slower then last year.. well see how he looks saturday i guess that will be 3 straight games for him.. being he plays which im sure they are going to play him again

zajac is good defensively.. there was one play in our own end i specifically recall him breaking up last night and just thinking to myself wow.. now i see what everyone has been talking about.. he seems to be pretty decent with face offs(just off of watching and taking note not looking at stats) .. just really wish he contributed to scoring more goals we need that out of him and it really seems like were not going to get it.. but what im saying is at least hes not completely useless and he shines in other areas.. but we still need some goals from him

Haha who cares where Zajac is in faceoffs, he probably takes more PK faceoffs than PP faceoffs, which lowers his percentage.  Amazing how people obsess over faceoffs but don't care about shots %, where Zajac is killing it (again).

Well cause when you win a faceoff most of the time your team get possession of the puck. That's a pretty "favorable result" for the team. A "shot" can be absolutely useless in a lot of cases and the "positive outcome" of a shot has a way lower %.

This is a perfect example, if Zajac is losing faceoff the other team gets the puck, Zajac can be "killing it" in shot %... the results are not there at all. And thats whats important. Why would you take a shot other than attempting to score or get a bounce... it's not happening for him now so he's not "killing it"

Edited by SterioDesign

Well cause when you win a faceoff most of the time your team get possession of the puck. That's a pretty "favorable result" for the team. A "shot" can be absolutely useless in a lot of cases and the "positive outcome" of a shot has a way lower %.

This is a perfect example, if Zajac is losing faceoff the other team gets the puck, Zajac can be "killing it" in shot %... the results are not there at all. And thats whats important. Why would you take a shot other than attempting to score or get a bounce... it's not happening for him now so he's not "killing it"

*facepalm* - you're hopeless.  A percentage of shots is so so so so so so so so so so much more important than faceoff %.  Go look at the guys who are top in the league in Fenwick % year after year vs. faceoff percentage, which players would you rather have?  Faceoffs lead to shots.  Shots (and consequently goals) are what win games.  You can't faceoff the puck into the net.

Edited by Triumph

This is the way they are going to win games.  It's about time for this ship to turn around but it is turning around.  There was one breakaway against but that was it really for outmanned chances.

Brodeur played well tonight but he is a disaster waiting to happen - tremendous save in the 3rd, but he is slow reacting to the play and he is just not able to ever recover if he's moved out of position.  There is no way he could start both games on the weekend - Kinkaid would have to start one of them.

Gelinas didn't have a great game tonight, but he was due for that.  He started losing some of thsoe 50/50 battles.    Larsson came out with a shift in the first where he showed what he is going to look like in 3 years and it is going to be quite a good defenseman.

Pretty much agree with everything here. Marty looked lost a couple times when he got stuck outside the crease. He looks slow, which isn't good for a guy who relied a lot on athleticism to make saves.

Gelinas has been losing some 50/50 1on1 battles the whole time he's been here. Think we're just gonna have to deal with it and hope he doesn't screw the pooch at a really bad time. His shot is good and clearly a positive on the PP. Larsson played his best game this season last night. Looked really good.

I 'think' Tri meant shot percentage in relation to the number of shots other teams get while Travis is on the ice compared to the number of shots the Devils get as a team when Travis is on the ice...not individual shooting percentage (which has to be horrendous).

And that's fine in terms of his defense, nobody's arguing he's not a terrific defensive forward. But at some point he can't be completely one-dimensional either in terms of results. John Madden in his prime was a more effective offensive player than Zajac has been lately.

Edited by NJDevs4978

*facepalm* - you're hopeless.  A percentage of shots is so so so so so so so so so so much more important than faceoff %.  Go look at the guys who are top in the league in Fenwick % year after year vs. faceoff percentage, which players would you rather have?  Faceoffs lead to shots.  Shots (and consequently goals) are what win games.  You can't faceoff the puck into the net.

Alright listen,  stats always depends of the situation you can't just compare the 2 and say that one is better. Also those guys on top of the league there are getting results. Zajac isnt. Ridiculous to say a guy is "killing it" when he has nothing to show for. Say wtv you want, when Zajac is shooting the puck it's to score, he's not achieving that so no, he not killing it in that department. 

You can't faceoff the puck into the net.

Oh no?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FURkM1OUdw0

Alright listen,  stats always depends of the situation you can't just compare the 2 and say that one is better. Also those guys on top of the league there are getting results. Zajac isnt. Ridiculous to say a guy is "killing it" when he has nothing to show for. Say wtv you want, when Zajac is shooting the puck it's to score, he's not achieving that so no, he not killing it in that department. 

He's one of the top defensive players in the league.  No, he's not getting it done on the offensive end, but neither are his linemates.  Meanwhile, defensively, he's again a huge force.

Alright listen, stats always depends of the situation you can't just compare the 2 and say that one is better. Also those guys on top of the league there are getting results. Zajac isnt. Ridiculous to say a guy is "killing it" when he has nothing to show for. Say wtv you want, when Zajac is shooting the puck it's to score, he's not achieving that so no, he not killing it in that department.

are you arguing that we should have not resigned zajac and let him walk this offseason? Because otherwise I have no idea what point you are trying to make.

Everyone knows he's not been up to par offensively it's been beaten to death.

Sometimes after reading your posts I look like your avatar.