Daniel

Nice in that at least the number of games played is evening out:

Detroit:  56 GP, 62 Pts

Philly:  57 GP, 62 Pts

Ottawa:  57 GP, 61 Pts

Carolina:  55 GP, 59 Pts

Devils:  57 GP, 59 Pts

Wash:  57 GP, 59 Pts

Still a bitch though.  The Devils are going to have to play well for a while to start making a real dent in the standings.

By the time the Devils play their next game, Detroit will have played another game, so at least the Devils will know whether they're three, four, or five points back of the final playoff spot with an equal number of games having been played by both Detroit and the Devils.  I rarely throw out the "must win" cards, but it really feels like the Devils need to win the next two games before the break.

I'd say it's minimum 3 points out of the next 4 (as much as another ot/so loss would blow) If they go into the Olympic break with 62 points they should be ok

Marty will probably get a game.  I'd rather it be against Ovy than the quartet of Hall, Eberle, RNH, and Yakupov.

Marty will probably get a game. I'd rather it be against Ovy than the quartet of Hall, Eberle, RNH, and Yakupov.

is don't see why Cory couldn't start both but if he doesn't is rather he play against the caps- if we're going to risk giving points away id rather it be to western teams.

is don't see why Cory couldn't start both but if he doesn't is rather he play against the caps- if we're going to risk giving points away id rather it be to western teams.

Cory will have had three days off by the time he starts on Friday, and will have a hell of a lot of time off after Saturday.  Sorry Marty, but under those circumstances there's no way I'm putting in a guy who's 40th in save% in either of those two games over the guy who's 7th (and 2nd in GAA).

Marty will start some games after the break, with the compressed schedule.  Hopefully he surprises and the Devils at the very least break even in them. 

well it look more and more like Vanek want to sign with the Wild this summer... his wife is from there and seems like it was the plan all along... fvck Minny.

Why is no one from NJ or has wifes from here???? lol i wish Bobby ryan and Van Riemsdyk would get home sick too. 

Thats a pretty nasty forward lineup they built there.

Parise Koivu Pominville

Vanek Granlund Niederreiter

Zucker Coyle Fontaine

Cooke Brodziak Rupp

Suter Brodin

Spurgeon Scandella

Stoner Dumba

Edited by SterioDesign

well it look more and more like Vanek want to sign with the Wild this summer... his wife is from there and seems like it was the plan all along... fvck Minny.

Why is no one from NJ or has wifes from here???? lol i wish Bobby ryan and Van Riemsdyk would get home sick too. 

Thats a pretty nasty forward lineup they built there.

Parise Koivu Pominville

Vanek Granlund Niederreiter

Zucker Coyle Fontaine

Cooke Brodziak Rupp

Suter Brodin

Spurgeon Scandella

Stoner Dumba

Can they fit that lineup under the cap even?  I really don't have any clue as to what their cap situation is.

Can they fit that lineup under the cap even?  I really don't have any clue as to what their cap situation is.

Looks like a little under $22 mil to spend next season, accoring to capgeek.  They have a big contract coming off the books in Heatley's.  They have four RFAs, but no major UFAs to worry about. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

Can they fit that lineup under the cap even? I really don't have any clue as to what their cap situation is.

they would essentially be switching heatley for vanek so yes they can fit it. But they will then have 5 players taking up more then half of their cap. 5 years from now they may have 4 Danny heatleys in pominville, parise, suter and vanek.

Funny thing is that I don't think by adding vanek it really makes them a legit threat in that division...

Looks like a little under $22 mil to spend next season, accoring to capgeek.  They have a big contract coming off the books in Heatley's.  They have four RFAs, but no major UFAs to worry about. 

That is certainly a help and keep forgetting about Heatley.  Is Vanek that much of an upgrade over him at this point?

If they sign Vanek, Minnesota's defense and/or general depth is extreeeemely suspect.

If they were to sign him, they have a 2-3 year window (tops) that they absolutely must win the Cup or they probably won't contend for any time soon after that, barring another big overhaul of Compliance Buyouts and Amnesty, etc...

Edited by DJ Eco

That is certainly a help and keep forgetting about Heatley.  Is Vanek that much of an upgrade over him at this point?

Definitely.  Heatley is terrrible now and is three years older than Vanek.  Heatley has 44 points and is a -22 in his last 94 games.  Vanek is still a good player.

so now WE have to trade for a scorer to do everything we can to go for the cup even trading prospects/picks and ignore our future but when other teams are stacking, then for them you have to look down the road if they will be fvcked in a few years, oh i get it i get it.

Apples and oranges. 

We have a huge stack of semi-expendable defensive prospects (and veterans too, if someone wants 'em) to try and trade for scoring forwards who are hopefully just young enough to count on sticking around here in the future. We're not going to magically draft a strong offense this season; not this year, and not within the next 4-5 years will we have a strong young offense in our farm. So now we need to clean that mess by using the cards that we were dealt to at least plug the holes for 4-5 years (via trade and especially UFA in July).

Now, having said all of that, our situation is completely different than what Minnesota would be doing by signing Vanek, which is ultimately having signed 4-5 Kovalchuk-ish long-term contracts, which will go super sour in 3-4 years if they don't get a Cup within that time, as they reach their 30s and past their prime. But it would be sort of worth it if they do. That's all I'm saying.

Edited by DJ Eco

We already have a few defensively challenged forwards. No need for another one. I'd go for Stastny or Parenteau.

No one was saying the Devils should trade for Heatley.  DM84 was asking about Minnesota's cap situation.  I told him that Heatley's big (and very bad) contract comes off after this season.  I don't think anyone wants Heatley...he looks like he might be done soon.