62 replies to this topic

#21 njdevil26

njdevil26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,336 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 09:26 AM

Doc is a Wings fan. So even if Steve is a Ranger fan... who cares? It's not like he sh!t talks the Devils every chance he gets (like Burnside, (N)Єverson, and so on). If Steve IS a Ranger fan, he does a great job of being impartial. The only Devils fan in the media that I know of is Don LaGreca. Anyone else?

Starting with the pre-game show... I like Deb. She always has a happy and positive personality and the players seem to like talking to her. Interviews with Steve are awkward and I usually avoided the pre-game show because of him.

Steve's play by play is not great. He adds no personality. He uses the same phrase for every situation... gives no opinions. Most of the time he serves as a spell check feature for Chico who is just lost without Doc. At least they had some chemistry. Steve's voice just isn't good either. It's got no bass and no substance to it. Sometimes I wish we had a guy like Jack Edwards. He may be a murdering psychopath but he announces the hell out of games. We complain when others are homers but we complain that our guy isn't a Devils fan. Can't have it both ways. We went from having one of the best PBP setups to now one of the worst. Off the top of my head the guys I like better are Dallas, San Jose, Toronto, Ottawa, Carolina, Boston, NYR, Detroit, and I'm sure there's more. I hope this was a trial basis for Steve and that he's not a lock to be back next year.

#22 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,043 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 09:35 AM

Doc is a Wings fan. So even if Steve is a Ranger fan... who cares? It's not like he sh!t talks the Devils every chance he gets (like Burnside, (N)Єverson, and so on). If Steve IS a Ranger fan, he does a great job of being impartial. The only Devils fan in the media that I know of is Don LaGreca. Anyone else?

Starting with the pre-game show... I like Deb. She always has a happy and positive personality and the players seem to like talking to her. Interviews with Steve are awkward and I usually avoided the pre-game show because of him.

Steve's play by play is not great. He adds no personality. He uses the same phrase for every situation... gives no opinions. Most of the time he serves as a spell check feature for Chico who is just lost without Doc. At least they had some chemistry. Steve's voice just isn't good either. It's got no bass and no substance to it. Sometimes I wish we had a guy like Jack Edwards. He may be a murdering psychopath but he announces the hell out of games. We complain when others are homers but we complain that our guy isn't a Devils fan. Can't have it both ways. We went from having one of the best PBP setups to now one of the worst. Off the top of my head the guys I like better are Dallas, San Jose, Toronto, Ottawa, Carolina, Boston, NYR, Detroit, and I'm sure there's more. I hope this was a trial basis for Steve and that he's not a lock to be back next year.

Are you saying that Doc's voice had bass?

#23 ChilltownDevs2673

ChilltownDevs2673

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 468 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 09:38 AM

I agree we were very spoiled with Doc. I honestly dont mind Steve. He aint nothing spectacular but I think he is better than most; especially Pittsburgh.

I had no idea Don LaGreca was a Devils fan. I thought he was a Rags fan?!

RANGERS SUCK; FLYERS SWALLOW!!!

#24 njdevil26

njdevil26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,336 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 09:39 AM

Are you saying that Doc's voice had bass?

Maybe bass wasn't the word I was looking for. I just meant it has no weight... ugh idk how to describe what I'm trying to say. Maybe we were just spoiled. Doc knew everything about every player and their families and he made boring games interesting... Steve is just so blah.

#25 DaneykoIsGod

DaneykoIsGod

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,187 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 09:44 AM

The man has a Devils tattoo. It's safe to say he isn't a Rangers fan.
Posted Image

"I don't like those Rangers fans from New Jersey." - Jim Dowd

#26 njdevil26

njdevil26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,336 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 09:45 AM

I agree we were very spoiled with Doc. I honestly dont mind Steve. He aint nothing spectacular but I think he is better than most; especially Pittsburgh.

yeah LaGreca is definitely a Devils fan. I have had suspicions that EJ Hradek is too but I'm not sure. But LaGreca is confirmed.

#27 DaneykoIsGod

DaneykoIsGod

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,187 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 09:50 AM

yeah LaGreca is definitely a Devils fan. I have had suspicions that EJ Hradek is too but I'm not sure. But LaGreca is confirmed.

I think E.J. grew up an Islanders fan.
Posted Image

#28 centralnj

centralnj

Albany Devil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 09:53 AM

Doc's voice isn't perfect, but his delivery, preparation and personality more than make up for it. Steve has a "Connecticut School
of Broadcasting" voice with none of the positives to compensate, IMO.
I'm not comparing him with Doc, there is no comparison. The guy has just always annoyed me.

#29 njdevil26

njdevil26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,336 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 09:54 AM

In a recent game I remember a Devil taking a shot right between the circles in front of the goalie and Steve yells "SHARP ANGLE SHOT!!!!"

#30 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,043 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 09:56 AM

In a recent game I remember a Devil taking a shot right between the circles in front of the goalie and Steve yells "SHARP ANGLE SHOT!!!!"

Steve is not perfect by any means but remember prior to this season he was just a fill-in for Doc. Give him a season or 2 to refine himself. Hell I think he has already improved since the beginning of the season.

#31 centralnj

centralnj

Albany Devil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 09:59 AM

He does that several times, every game, it drives me crazy. It's like he just loves the phrase, whether it's accurate or not.

#32 njdevil26

njdevil26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,336 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 10:05 AM

He does that several times, every game, it drives me crazy. It's like he just loves the phrase, whether it's accurate or not.

At least Doc's "DRIIIIIVE" is always accurate lol.

#33 Bulletproof

Bulletproof

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,735 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 10:05 AM

Cangi has actually surprised me at how not annoying he's been thus far this season. Chico has come unhinged without Doc grounding him, but that's just the magic of Chico. He's a crazy person, but he's our crazy person. Cangi does his job well enough and that's all you can ask of someone who's taking the place of a legend. It's a tall task to ask of anybody and Cangi is performing as well as can be expected given the situation. When compared against other announcers in the league, he may be a bit homogenized, but he's not terrible by a long shot.

As for the Sharp Angle Shot thing, it's a crutch and what's better, he realizes it. If you notice, he's really tried to limit his use of it because it did reach comic levels earlier in the season, so much so that now it stands out every time we hear it. Every announcer develops crutch phrases, even Doc. Thing was with Doc, you didn't notice because his crutches melded so well with the flow of his call, you didn't notice or care. All in all, Steve is doing a more than adequate job.
Posted Image

DevsCast: The latest and greatest Devils podcast on the Internet or my handle 'aint Bulletproof! Click Here to subscribe via iTunes or Click Here to download mp3 versions of the show. Perfect for wasting time at work!

#34 The 29th Pick

The 29th Pick

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,904 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 10:09 AM

Steve is good enough, and so is Chico and Deb
Look I watched the winter classic and Doc messed up a bunch of times too, calling the wrong goalies name and not knowing the player carrying/ shooting the puck.
Its a fast game and mistakes are gonna happen.

#35 DaneykoIsGod

DaneykoIsGod

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,187 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 10:13 AM

At least Doc's "DRIIIIIVE" is always accurate lol.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#36 ChilltownDevs2673

ChilltownDevs2673

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 468 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 10:27 AM

Glad to hear about LaGreca!

RANGERS SUCK; FLYERS SWALLOW!!!

#37 Amberite

Amberite

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,966 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 10:51 AM

I have no problem with Steve's voice or his play-by-play. The problem is that he's currently very dull and he doesn't have much chemistry with Chico. He needs to open up a bit, be a little more willing to go off on tangents or throw in a joke or story here and there. As it currently stands the telecast has much less life than it used to have, but hopefully it will improve as he gets more experience and more time with Chico.

#38 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,982 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 11:03 AM

I think Steve has done a great job. He's learning every game. Replace him with Deb? Are you...did you really think about that?

Listen to the away feeds and you'll see we don't have it that bad.

believe-ll.jpg

Anyone who says, ‘You played in that New York area,’ I say, ‘No, I played in New Jersey.’ - Ken Daneyko

#39 StormJosh

StormJosh

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 889 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 11:19 AM

Steve seems like a nice guy who is doing his best at his dream job. He, on his best day, is no better than an average commentator. He is clearly trying.

He probably has the hardest act in the world to follow. It's like me, someone who has done stand up comedy like twice in my life following after Robin Williams. I might not be that bad...but relatively speaking I obviously am.

What bothers me the most about Steve is that EVERY SINGLE CLEAR ON A POWERPLAY is, a "big clear." aahhhhhh

#40 aylbert

aylbert

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,328 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 11:35 AM

Thing was with Doc, you didn't notice because his crutches melded so well with the flow of his call,

and.... play, continues.

Steve is that EVERY SINGLE CLEAR ON A POWERPLAY is, a "big clear." aahhhhhh

We really needed that big clear last night in OT... lol

image-300x225.jpg

| 2012 Season | NJDevs FHL Champion | 2013 Season |
| 2014 Season | 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users