Brodeur should retire immediately and spare himself the embarrassment

'7'

Langenbrunner and White have done alot for our franchise in the past but they arent what they used to be. Amberite, you wouldnt happen to be one of those people saying you want them out of NJ are you? If so, whats the difference between what White did and Marty? They both were great and contributed alot to the team in the past, but that doesnt mean their down hill of skill needs to be over looked.

White's been one of our best players this year.

Marty definitely won't be a backup. Also, there is no goalie on the planet that could lead THIS team as is to a Cup....

Wasn't talking about this year...thinking more the future....and he wouldn't be a backup because ?

You seem to pick what you want from others posts then start bashing....Again....NOT SAYING ITS ALL MARTY...but he's not helping things one bit...Others have posted...look whats he's done for the team,the fan's....its called doing his fvcking job...which he's not doing very well now.....can't keep playing him as a reward for his play 7 years ago.

I think it would be cool for Marty to be sent to Montreal, it's also a fesbile option for both clubs. We perhaps could get a decent d man in return plus some conditional picks. Alex Auld is Price's backup and Montreal is going to want more assurance of playoff success in case Price falls apart. Marty and Price share some games in the regular season, perhaps gets a couple of starts in the playoffs and brings the cup to his hometown for the first time in 18 seasons. He comes back here next season and retires on a high note. What's wrong with that?

I think it would be cool for Marty to be sent to Montreal, it's also a fesbile option for both clubs. We perhaps could get a decent d man in return plus some conditional picks. Alex Auld is Price's backup and Montreal is going to want more assurance of playoff success in case Price falls apart. Marty and Price share some games in the regular season, perhaps gets a couple of starts in the playoffs and brings the cup to his hometown for the first time in 18 seasons. He comes back here next season and retires on a high note. What's wrong with that?

Not a thing...its smart business.....but the Marty strokers would give it a thumbs down....Would he be the backup,because according some here..he won't be a backup....they must have talked about it over coffee or something.....I say do it...its good business.

don't play the young fan card at me.

You ARE a young fan...maybe not in age, but in the number of years you've been watching the team. This isn't the only occasion you've shown that...you took an almost forensic approach some time back as to how important the '87-'88 playoff run was to the franchise's history, basically saying it really wasn't that big a deal. If you weren't there and didn't experience that whole run (which really started with an incredible and improbable late-season surge just to have a chance to get in), then you might think that. But for those of us who DID experience it, it really did help to put the Devils on the map, and the first victory didn't even happen on the ice...with that OT victory against the Blackhawks, the Devils took the 4th Patrick Divison seed away from the Rangers. Then they beat the Isles in the first round. Suddenly the hockey locals who'd been following the Rangers and Islanders for years had to stop treating us like this goofy lil' harmless oddity that was cute because they played in NJ and their backyards. Suddenly the Devils were relevant. And the significance of all of that would be lost on you.

i will care about the past when brodeur retires, then i will celebrate his entire catalog.

As well you should.

until then, he's signed for another year, which is an implicit promise to remain being good at hockey, and he's been terrible this year.

It's an implicit hope on the part of the Devils that he would remain being good, and an implicit promise on Brodeur's part that he would at least TRY to remain good (which I think he has). But everyone from LL on down had to know that there was a chance that Marty might not be the same player by the end of this last contract as he was at the beginning...even Marty in Beyond the Crease admitted as much. How can anyone accurately predict what a 38-year-old player is going to be, no matter what his pedigree and track record? And even the very best (which Marty will down as one of 'em) have slumps and down periods...you make it sound like because he's signed and because he's supposed to remain good he's not ever allowed to slump, even on a team full of slumping/underperforming players.

everyone else has been bad too, but he's been just as bad. the flyers' goaltending issues over the last decade and a half are highly overstated - they make for a comfortable narrative, but they are not entirely why the flyers have yet to win a stanley cup.

Goalies are not the one and only reason why the Flyers haven't won a Cup since 1975, but the ones they did have sure didn't help.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

You ARE a young fan...maybe not in age, but in the number of years you've been watching the team. This isn't the only occasion you've shown that...you took an almost forensic approach some time back as to how important the '87-'88 playoff run was to the franchise's history, basically saying it really wasn't that big a deal. If you weren't there and didn't experience that whole run (which really started with an incredible and improbable late-season surge just to have a chance to get in), then you might think that. But for those of us who DID experience it, it really did help to put the Devils on the map, and the first victory didn't even happen on the ice...with that OT victory against the Blackhawks, the Devils took the 4th Patrick Divison seed away from the Rangers. Then they beat the Isles in the first round. Suddenly the hockey locals who'd been following the Rangers and Islanders for years had to stop treating us like this goofy lil' harmless oddity that was cute because they played in NJ and their backyards. Suddenly the Devils were relevant. And the significance of all of that would be lost on you.

i don't remember saying this at all, but i'll take your word for it. i'm sure there are fans that rank the 88 run as their favorite even after 3 stanley cups and that's completely fine. who knows what the discussion was where i said this, but i do tend to resent older fans getting up on their ever-growing horses to discuss the history of this team.

It's an implicit hope on the part of the Devils that he would remain being good, and an implicit promise on Brodeur's part that he would at least TRY to remain good (which I think he has). But everyone from LL on down had to know that there was a chance that Marty might not be the same player by the end of this last contract as he was at the beginning...even Marty in Beyond the Crease admitted as much. How can anyone accurately predict what a 38-year-old player is going to be, no matter what his pedigree and track record? And even the very best (which Marty will down as one of 'em) have slumps and down periods...you make it sound like because he's signed and because he's supposed to remain good he's not ever allowed to slump, even on a team full of slumping/underperforming players.

my issue is that i know brodeur will not retire, and the devils will likely not get him any help next year, and he'll torpedo whatever chance the devils have next season. is it probably unfair to hold future events against brodeur right now? sure. but you can't hide a bad goaltender. right now he is playing at a backup level, and i think i am being generous. he is going to put the franchise in a really difficult spot this coming off-season. we have seen it with great athletes time and time again, they don't know when to quit.

Goalies are not the one and only reason why the Flyers haven't won a Cup since 1975, but the ones they did have sure didn't help.

what also didn't help is scoring 1 goal in each of the ECF Game 7s they lost. that never helps. they scored 3 goals in 3 games against NJ when they blew that 3-1 lead.

As well you should.

You mean there are hockey experiences that cannot be quantified via statistics and calculations? Pshh.... :unsure:

my issue is that i know brodeur will not retire, and the devils will likely not get him any help next year, and he'll torpedo whatever chance the devils have next season. is it probably unfair to hold future events against brodeur right now? sure. but you can't hide a bad goaltender. right now he is playing at a backup level, and i think i am being generous. he is going to put the franchise in a really difficult spot this coming off-season. we have seen it with great athletes time and time again, they don't know when to quit.

what also didn't help is scoring 1 goal in each of the ECF Game 7s they lost. that never helps. they scored 3 goals in 3 games against NJ when they blew that 3-1 lead.

On your first point...too many variables to say what will happen with any certainty. If (and that's a big if, because we've never seen it happen yet) Marty continues to play the way he has this season (especially lately), I will hope that he will continue to take the "team first" mentality he's taken when it's come to his contracts, and realize that there's no shame in ending a career where he has nothing left to prove. He doesn't strike me as the sort who will want to go on if the game stops being fun for him...and if he turns in a full season of a GAA and save% that would look far more in place in 1985 than 2011, I don't think he'll make things as difficult for the Devils as you might think. I think Marty realizes his career with the Devils organization isn't likely to end with his playing days.

Fair point on your last statement, but my point (which I didn't make as well as I should have) had more to do with the Flyers constantly having to find another guy due to no one being able to stick there long-term, despite some goalies having short-term success (such as Boucher and Esche). This was something the Devils never had to worry about from '93 on (though Marty did admit feeling pushed by Dunham just a little bit...the only goalie ever to make him feel as such).

I recently posted this in another Brodeur thread, but it fits here too:

As a Devils fan, I admire Brodeur for wanting to honor his contract, for not wanting out when the going's rough, and for wanting to end his career as a Devil for life.

But as a Brodeur fan, I wouldn't blame him in the least if he decided to hang 'em up after this season. He has nothing left to prove to anyone. He'll go down in history as one of the best ever.

We've all seen how fast once-great players can age -- sometimes it happens seemingly overnight -- and it ain't pretty. Not saying that Marty has lost it already. No, not at all. He clearly is capable of blanking any team on any given night. But it doesn't take an expert to see that his game is not as sharp as it once was.

And that's not blaming him for the Devils stinker of a season.

MacLean's incompetence and the veteran players mailing it in turned this team into a horror show...

i would not put all the blame on Marty. He does need to sit for a while and let Hedberg take some of the fire while Lemaire de-programs this group of zombies.

Marty is still a good goalie, he's just lost confidence and the team has collapsed.

No goalie would do well in this situation... the devils are playing likle a bunch of Losers... worst team in the NHL.

MacLean's incompetence and the veteran players mailing it in turned this team into a horror show...

i would not put all the blame on Marty. He does need to sit for a while and let Hedberg take some of the fire while Lemaire de-programs this group of zombies.

Marty is still a good goalie, he's just lost confidence and the team has collapsed.

No goalie would do well in this situation... the devils are playing likle a bunch of Losers... worst team in the NHL.

Thought we should note that Brodeur smashed his stick into pieces over the crossbar after being scored on today in practice - I wouldn't be surprised over two things: 1. He gets a shutout on Wednesday or probably more likely - he explodes after a goal and fights Sean Avery. I don't know what I would like to see more.

I'll say it again...Marty certainly looks "off" this season, but the team has many other larger issues to address. Want to make changes? Start with Langenbrunner, and Arnott. Then look at Clarkson and Rolston. Put some defense in front of Marty and THEN if he looks bad, look to move him. You don't just up and trade a homegrown hall-of-famer. You don't

There's no lack of respect. Would you rather have a Marty that is known as being the all time winningest goaltender, one of the greats, 3 time cup winners or have Marty be known for all those things with the caveat that he stayed past his sell by date. Say what you want about Patrick Roy but at least he knew when to hang them up.

And with the way things are would getting rid of Marty make this team any worse? Like I've said before this isn't the New Jersey Martys this is the New Jersey Devils and you do what's best for the team. Lou said he's not getting rid of Marty so there is probably not going to be a trade for him. I'd prefer to see Marty go out on top and this ain't the way to do it. He's slow and it appears that his injuries are getting the best of him. It would be terrible to see him retire as an old broken down player. Why would you want to disrespect him like that? Just for some imaginary loyalty you have to the guy's past successes?

It's a total lack of respect. It's a sign of 20 something spoiled brat sh!tty Devils fans who won't be watching this team a year from now anyway. this team is like the worst 5 on 5 team in the history of modern hockey, you can roll any fvcking goalie in the world out there, and they'd suck.

I understand it's NJDevs, the Marty hating website, but it's a fvcking embarassment. I'd eat 10 bad years just so some of you people have to actually live through it (well, the 4 that aren't bandwagon jumpers) and appreciate what you had. because that ain't coming back anytime soon.

It's a total lack of respect. It's a sign of 20 something spoiled brat sh!tty Devils fans who won't be watching this team a year from now anyway. this team is like the worst 5 on 5 team in the history of modern hockey, you can roll any fvcking goalie in the world out there, and they'd suck.

I understand it's NJDevs, the Marty hating website, but it's a fvcking embarassment. I'd eat 10 bad years just so some of you people have to actually live through it (well, the 4 that aren't bandwagon jumpers) and appreciate what you had. because that ain't coming back anytime soon.

Get off your high horse. If you can't see that Marty has been horrid this season, then you're blind. There are some fans on this board who panic way too easily, and then there are fans like you who are so caught up in proving themselves real fans that they'll take any excuse to blast other fans. The fact that this team sucks and that most of our players are playing like SH!T is undisputed, so stop shoving it in people's faces. Marty sucking is not, as you would like to believe, a direct result of that sucking. Marty is part of the problem this year, not a victim of it.

Get off your high horse. If you can't see that Marty has been horrid this season, then you're blind. There are some fans on this board who panic way too easily, and then there are fans like you who are so caught up in proving themselves real fans that they'll take any excuse to blast other fans. The fact that this team sucks and that most of our players are playing like SH!T is undisputed, so stop shoving it in people's faces. Marty sucking is not, as you would like to believe, a direct result of that sucking. Marty is part of the problem this year, not a victim of it.

uh huh. remove Moose's "week" from the stats and get back to me. if you can't see how fvcking bad this team is, I don't know what to tell you. which goal was Marty's fault? the first one with a blind turnover 10 feet from him, or the second one where 3 guys stood there and watched? yes, the third goal was bad, and any goal they give up is a backbreaker, because they've won 2 fvcking games where they gave up more than one goal.

you suck. I'm sorry to say that, but you suck, judging someone because they're having a bad year on a bad team.

alot of Devils fans suck. maybe an Isles like run would straighten people out.

it's a fvcking team game, and you can't blame the goalie outright when the team can't get their fvcking heads out of their fvcking asses 5 on 5. they're shaping up to be -100 or more 5 on 5. barring expansion, that's probably unprecedented.

uh huh. remove Moose's "week" from the stats and get back to me. if you can't see how fvcking bad this team is, I don't know what to tell you. which goal was Marty's fault? the first one with a blind turnover 10 feet from him, or the second one where 3 guys stood there and watched? yes, the third goal was bad, and any goal they give up is a backbreaker, because they've won 2 fvcking games where they gave up more than one goal.

you suck. I'm sorry to say that, but you suck, judging someone because they're having a bad year on a bad team.

alot of Devils fans suck. maybe an Isles like run would straighten people out.

it's a fvcking team game, and you can't blame the goalie outright when the team can't get their fvcking heads out of their fvcking asses 5 on 5. they're shaping up to be -100 or more 5 on 5. barring expansion, that's probably unprecedented.

did you just pick today to make terrible arguments or something? no one cares about last night, brodeur's been generally bad all season. so has the rest of the team. pointing out that brodeur has been bad and is not exempt from the old-man purge that will hopefully commence soon is not being a bad fan.