Brodeur should retire immediately and spare himself the embarrassment

'7'

Admittedly it has gotten pretty bad at the arena vis-a-vis booing Marty and giving him the Bronx cheers after goals that weren't his fault but fans are just upset in general with a team that's basically hockey's answer to the '95 Jets or the early '90's Mets (the 'worst team money could buy') and Marty's gonna take the brunt of it unfortunately if we keep giving up five a night. Hedberg got it pretty rough after his first start too though, that wasn't an anti-Marty thing :lol:

Yes, he is getting absolutely killed. I snapped far, far worse at a game than I did on here. A good deal of Devils fans, for whatever reason, don't respect Marty. This site seems to draw a decent % of them. But really, they don't respect anyone. Bunch of spoiled Yankees-like fans who are lashing out at anyone that comes near them.

I mean, a sarcastic cheer after he stopped a shot after the third goal in the Isles game and there were people ripping him to shreds. the other two weren't remotely his fault.

I pray they don't do the Niedermayer night this year, it's going to be an embarassment.

Yes, he is getting absolutely killed. I snapped far, far worse at a game than I did on here. A good deal of Devils fans, for whatever reason, don't respect Marty. This site seems to draw a decent % of them. But really, they don't respect anyone. Bunch of spoiled Yankees-like fans who are lashing out at anyone that comes near them.

:clap:

Seems like there always needs to be a scapegoat. I'm sure this isn't unique to the devils and their fanbase, but man some of the people on this forum or people I speak to at the games are insufferable at best sometimes.

You can be upset or unpleased with a player's performace, but, as a fan, you still should respect them as a player. Especially a player as significant to the organization as Brodeur. Some of these people have no fvcking respect, and it bugs the hell outa me.

Although the team in front of Marty is just god awful, you can clearly tell he's not himself from his positioning. Half the time he flops on his side and doesnt get up, or he goes into a butterfly from shots past the circle, and its not even a butterfly. He just goes down on his knees leaving four holes open every time. Its just very hard to watch. I love Brodeur, he will always be one of my favorite players and idles, but he needs to share the rest of the load with moose this year. I just dont want to see him get embarassed anymore. It hurts to watch him struggle and it hurts me to hear the sarcastic cheers at the rock.

Edited by Zubie#8

All this talk about respect for Marty. I am not a big fan of Marty, no surprise, I never respected his off ice performance in the bars with girls, or what he did with his sister-in-law, a lot of kids looked up to him not suck a good example. As for his goaltending, I have always thought he was a product of the Devils game plan "defense first" without that style he wouldn't be as good. I also thought he had the best defensemen (thanks Devils) in front of him and that improved his performance and numbers. He was always playing every game because the defensemen and Devils style kept the workload down, remember the trap? Marty was always having problem with the glove side and it has only gotten worse because of age. When he became bigger than the team with his MB30 it was always about him, and he rarely took fault. BTW he hasn't played well since bringing on the MB30. The NHL shootout gave more wins to him only not fair if it's a team sport but he personal records IMO got in the way of the team. His poor performance in the last olympics and his poor play during the past first rounds since the lockout focus a lot of attention on him and his performance. His ego is big and IMO it hurts the team. He has been accused of managing his time in goal and management couldn't stop him, and he has been accused of being part of team decisions and dumping coaches.

So for what it's worth he doesn't have my respect. Yes, I think he is a good goalie in the top 5 but never number 1 because it wasn't all him but he takes all the credit. I know what he says and I don't believe him it is the thing to say.

IMO he created his own monster. IMO what you see today is an aging goalie that was a product of the Devils system and great defensemen in front of him.

BTW there isn't a Devils forum that Devils fans aren't speaking negatively about Marty so it isn't unique to this forum as suggested by some.

• Like 1

All this talk about respect for Marty. I am not a big fan of Marty, no surprise, I never respected his off ice performance in the bars with girls, or what he did with his sister-in-law, a lot of kids looked up to him not suck a good example. As for his goaltending, I have always thought he was a product of the Devils game plan "defense first" without that style he wouldn't be as good. I also thought he had the best defensemen (thanks Devils) in front of him and that improved his performance and numbers. He was always playing every game because the defensemen and Devils style kept the workload down, remember the trap? Marty was always having problem with the glove side and it has only gotten worse because of age. When he became bigger than the team with his MB30 it was always about him, and he rarely took fault. BTW he hasn't played well since bringing on the MB30. The NHL shootout gave more wins to him only not fair if it's a team sport but he personal records IMO got in the way of the team. His poor performance in the last olympics and his poor play during the past first rounds since the lockout focus a lot of attention on him and his performance. His ego is big and IMO it hurts the team. He has been accused of managing his time in goal and management couldn't stop him, and he has been accused of being part of team decisions and dumping coaches.

So for what it's worth he doesn't have my respect. Yes, I think he is a good goalie in the top 5 but never number 1 because it wasn't all him but he takes all the credit. I know what he says and I don't believe him it is the thing to say.

IMO he created his own monster. IMO what you see today is an aging goalie that was a product of the Devils system and great defensemen in front of him.

BTW there isn't a Devils forum that Devils fans aren't speaking negatively about Marty so it isn't unique to this forum as suggested by some.

I completely agree with this except for the respect part. I do respect him and I do think he is a top 5 all time goalie, but I still question whether he is really the best all-time. He is showing his age and let's face it, he is old and slow. Hockey is a business and sometimes you just got to cut the cord sometimes to grow as a franchise.

I know a lot of fans on here hate hearing any criticism of him and any criticism is instantly chalked up to us being "spoiled" fans. I have been a fan since my first game in 89 and still remember the pre-94 dark days when the team was not that good to say the least. I do appreciate his career with us, but it is time to move on and he is just not the same goalie he used to be. Plus, whether you like to hear it or not, a lot of his stats and records were padded by the system playing in front of him. I do not have the time to look this up right now, but how many wins post-lockout happened because of the shootout? I know a lot of people bring up the whole stats in terms of GAA and save % are the same after the departures of Stevens and company, but the defense has never truely been weak after the lockout, even last year. This is the first year we have had terrible defense, and this is the result.

I like how I keep hearing that all of us who are critical over Marty's play are considered fair weather. Well turn that around; I still hope you guys are Devils fans once Marty retires. Perhaps you can stand outside his home every once and a while and cheer him on while he's washing his car or something because apparently the Devils are Marty and nothing else. Once he retires the team will cease to exist.

I like how I keep hearing that all of us who are critical over Marty's play are considered fair weather. Well turn that around; I still hope you guys are Devils fans once Marty retires. Perhaps you can stand outside his home every once and a while and cheer him on while he's washing his car or something because apparently the Devils are Marty and nothing else. Once he retires the team will cease to exist.

This.

Oh god shut the fvck up already. What an idiot. What he does in bars with girls? What he did with his wife? Who gives a sh!t? Honestly. Mr. fvcking high horse. Get off it you piece of garbage. I'm sure you're an angel.

You see what you want to. Your first sentence says it all. You have never had respect for the guy, never gave him a fairshot, can talk until the cows come home about his defense was the only thing saving him from a career like Trevor Kidds. The bottom line was it wasn't. The guy is hall-of-famer whether you like it or not, is regarded by GOALIES and HOCKEY PEOPLE alike to be in the top 5 all time.

Has he played well? Not really this season. Has he had the playoff success post-lockout? No. If you're trying to relate that to the loss of Stevens/Niedermayer - you may have a point. But to base the whole point that he was a product of a system, is such fvcking hindsight garbage. The truth of it is - it doesn't matter. He won 3 cups, a gold medal, and was INSTRUMENTAL in all 4. He's the shutout king, the wins leader, and so on.

But the last few, depsite the season he was hurt, there were largely times he was the only one standing in between us being blown out of the water. This season we're seeing now what should've have happened a lot sooner.

ANd yes, he's getting older, and slower, and breaking down - but for the fanbase to jump on him like this is fvcking disgraceful and makes me sick.

This is no different than the majority of Devils fans who couldn't find APPRECIATION if it hit them in the fvcking head. Same people who boo Niedermayer, Gionta, and so on. We are by far the dumbest fan base in the league, as a whole.

He's allowed to be criticized but this feeding frenzy, and piling on is disgraceful.

Edited by HellOnICE

Oh god shut the fvck up already. What an idiot. What he does in bars with girls? What he did with his wife? Who gives a sh!t? Honestly. Mr. fvcking high horse. Get off it you piece of garbage. I'm sure you're an angel.

You see what you want to. Your first sentence says it all. You have never had respect for the guy, never gave him a fairshot, can talk until the cows come home about his defense was the only thing saving him from a career like Trevor Kidds. The bottom line was it wasn't. The guy is hall-of-famer whether you like it or not, is regarded by GOALIES and HOCKEY PEOPLE alike to be in the top 5 all time.

Has he played well? Not really this season. Has he had the playoff success post-lockout? No. If you're trying to relate that to the loss of Stevens/Niedermayer - you may have a point. But to base the whole point that he was a product of a system, is such fvcking hindsight garbage. The truth of it is - it doesn't matter. He won 3 cups, a gold medal, and was INSTRUMENTAL in all 4. He's the shutout king, the wins leader, and so on.

But the last few, depsite the season he was hurt, there were largely times he was the only one standing in between us being blown out of the water. This season we're seeing now what should've have happened a lot sooner.

ANd yes, he's getting older, and slower, and breaking down - but for the fanbase to jump on him like this is fvcking disgraceful and makes me sick.

This is no different than the majority of Devils fans who couldn't find APPRECIATION if it hit them in the fvcking head. Same people who boo Niedermayer, Gionta, and so on. We are by far the dumbest fan base in the league, as a whole.

He's allowed to be criticized but this feeding frenzy, and piling on is disgraceful.

Excellent post...and the truth. I have said time and again we have the dumbest fan base in the league, and the posts about Marty that have been on here in the past week or so prove it....

Excellent post...and the truth. I have said time and again we have the dumbest fan base in the league, and the posts about Marty that have been on here in the past week or so prove it....

Calling Marty a name or say he is terrible is just trying to start trouble, but to be at least critical of him is perfectly reasonable and at this point justifiable. You cannot just ignore that his play has declined quite dramatically and he is not the goalie he used to be, and that we must think forward and not think ahead. I am starting to think that the poster who asked if people would stop being a Devils fan if Marty retires has a point. Fact is that he has lost not just a step, but an entire flight of stairs. He is a sure-fire HOF-er and should be, but our goalies in the pipeline must be given some chances now instead of later. To constantly stick your head in the sand to the issue is the same as dumb as the people who bash Marty for no reason.