A player to consider for next season

Marshall

Typical late bloomer - 29 years old. His development in the last few years is remarkable and he's by far the best goaltender in the SEL. He was the World Championships MVP last year with a 1.71 GAA in 7 games and .946 SV%.

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=5147

He would've left for the NHL last year but his demand is a one-way contract. The Devils could give him this. I suppose a lot hinges on Marty's decision but they still could have Marty for another year and bring in Fasth.

What do you guys think? He could turn out to be a steal and he still has many years left.

There's a definitely a bit of a goalie shortage around the NHL, so hopefully someone signs this guy. I don't want it to be NJ, though.

Any reason why not? At this stage, we probably have 0 goalies for next year. Even if we sign him on a one-way in a backup capacity, it would be a worthwhile gamble based on his numbers. I'm sure he can't be demanding that much money yet.

We've seen goalies come out of nowhere before with Thomas, Lundqvist and others. It certainly seems like he should be able to be good in the NHL, and I'd hate to see another team steal him when we need a goalie badly.

Edited by Amberite

Any reason why not? At this stage, we probably have 0 goalies for next year. Even if we sign him on a one-way in a backup capacity, it would be a worthwhile gamble based on his numbers. I'm sure he can't be demanding that much money yet.

We've seen goalies come out of nowhere before with Thomas, Lundqvist and others. It certainly seems like he should be able to be good in the NHL, and I'd hate to see another team steal him when we need a goalie badly.

The Queen was approx. 22 when he entered the NHL, and was a Rangers draft pick. Thomas is a once in a lifetime phenomenon. To me, the more applicable examples are Jonas Gustafson (sp?) and Fabian Brunnstrom. Every now and then you hit a home run like we did with Rafalski. However, since these are so rare, you almost have to protect yourself with a 2 way contract.

Edited by Chuck the Duck

Brodeur says he's leaning towards coming back. I don't want the Devils to get a guy who could A: flop horribly in general or B: easily be pushed aside if he has 3 bad games leaving Brodeur to get the bulk of the starts. I want them to get someone who they're paying a decent chunk of money to, and who has an NHL track record.

The Queen was approx. 22 when he entered the NHL, and was a Rangers draft pick. Thomas is a once in a lifetime phenomenon. To me, the more applicable examples are Jonas Gustafson (sp?) and Fabian Brunnstrom. Every now and then you hit a home run like we did with Rafalski. However, since these are so rare, you almost have to protect yourself with a 2 way contract.

Lundqvist was a 7th round pick who wasn't expected to go anywhere. Lundqvist and the Rangers said many times that when he came to training camp, they expected him to be sent back during the first round of cuts. For all intents and purposes, he came out of nowhere. Just because he was drafted means nothing.

But otherwise, I completely agree that the chances are very slim. However, in our situation, I think it's a worthwhile gamble to try on a guy like this.

Edited by Amberite

Lundqvist was perhaps not considered much when he was drafted, but his three seasons leading up to his post-lockout debut were great. In the lockout season where the SEL was littered with quality players and the hockey was great, he put up insane numbers (1.05GAA in the playoffs!? .962 SV%). Seeing Lundqvist as a super-outside shot at the NHL doesn't make sense to me at all, nor did it at the time. He did play for my favourite team here in Sweden and I saw him play a lot.

Gustavsson in my opinion had some terrible luck: playing behind that defense, multiple heart procedures and of course playing in Toronto which isn't exactly New Jersey. In terms of performance in the SEL he and Fasth are comparable but I think that's where the comparisons should end due to aforemention circumstances, plus the fact that the pressure in Toronto is immense and he was hyped as hell. I don't think Fasth would see the same pressure and hype should he sign here.

• 1 year later...

Just curious, how's Wedgewood coming along? I haven't been following him much so I was wondering how he's progressing as a 20 y/o goalie

I actually just saw Wedgewood play in Trenton yesterday. I liked what I saw, he seems like he could be a solid goalie in time. Trenton lost 4-1, he allowed 3 goals (plus an empty netter), but only one of them could he really do anything about. I don't know what his overall ceiling is, but I'd be interested to see more of him.

Clermont was the goalie for the other team, also. Didn't look bad but Trenton's terrible. Only goal he allowed was on a wraparound rebound.