2013-2014 Lineup/Roster Thread

devilsrule33

You and PDB share this mentality - and honestly at this point in the season, so do I.  I'm over worrying about Cory's opinions or his likelihood to stay here long term.  If there was damage to be done..it's already occurred.  At this point just play out the season with the 'winningest' goaltender, and bid Marty farewell over the summer.

Although I will say, if the Devils do manage to make the playoffs..oh man the goalie drama will be soap opera worthy.

Yeah, very true.  We have no idea what's going on behind closed doors, but I think both goalies have been great teammates imo.  Neither one has any negatives to say about the other and both understand that only one can get the net at a time.  Schneider just needs to remain patient and he's been awesome in terms of saying the right things and not stepping on any toes.  He has to understand that his time is likely to come sooner rather than later.  Marty will test the market but I think he could be back here as a backup, which I'm totally okay with.

How creative are they allowed to make contracts? I'm guessing they all have to be pretty standard but I'm wondering if they can sign Marty to a half year deal next season or maybe sign him for a certain amount of wins (in other words if he needs 10 wins to get to 700, we sign him for a 10 win contract).

I'm not being very serious here but I do wonder how much freedom they have with contracts.

How creative are they allowed to make contracts? I'm guessing they all have to be pretty standard but I'm wondering if they can sign Marty to a half year deal next season or maybe sign him for a certain amount of wins (in other words if he needs 10 wins to get to 700, we sign him for a 10 win contract).

I'm not being very serious here but I do wonder how much freedom they have with contracts.

Not that much.

Ahh that's good news then. Especially considering they have been leading in most of these games

The 2010-11 Devils had a 7-game surge of offense (4 GPG) as well.  They were under 2 GPG before that, then averaged about 2.2-2.3 GPG the rest of the way (might have even been a little less than that).  Basically, that's a nice way of saying I'd be surprised if the Devils stay above 2.5 GPG in their remaining games.  Doesn't mean they can't win...just won't be surprised when the goals stop coming at this rate.   

The 2010-11 Devils had a 7-game surge of offense (4 GPG) as well.  They were under 2 GPG before that, then averaged about 2.2-2.3 GPG the rest of the way (might have even been a little less than that).  Basically, that's a nice way of saying I'd be surprised if the Devils stay above 2.5 GPG in their remaining games.  Doesn't mean they can't win...just won't be surprised when the goals stop coming at this rate.   

I dont think anyone expects the team to keep up this torrid pace, but the fact that the team is averaging over 3 shots per game more is a good sign. You also have to take into account goaltending has been pretty loosey goosey since the Olympics, which will probably not continue (if they start #35).  In general, I think we'll see more of the same, a bunch of tight hockey games that, hopefully, we're on the right side of

imagine how he must feel right now..

Like a 21 year old working towards a spot on an NHL roster, most likely. This idea that young hockey players aren't willing to pay their dues and wait for their spot is kind of ridiculous. Letting him play big minutes in the AHL isn't a bad thing. He'll get bigger minutes in the NHL when the time comes, so its good that he's learning to handle it. 

Apparently Ryder is dealing with some back issues according to TG which explains a lot. He's always been inconsistent but never this bad over a stretch of 20+ games. Josefson may end up playing tonight if Ryder can't go. Josefson has played just 4 games (42:17) in about the last 3 months so I imagine he'll be a bit rusty.

I'm not one to usually go based on wins and losses but here is NJ's record with Gelinas in the lineup vs out of the lineup.

26 - 17 - 1 - 6

Why isn't he playing again?

Wins and losses is dumb.  He isn't playing because he's been a trainwreck on D.  Merrill has started to slip as well so I think maybe Gelinas should get another shot, but he hasn't been very good at ES in several months.

Wins and losses is dumb.  He isn't playing because he's been a trainwreck on D.  Merrill has started to slip as well so I think maybe Gelinas should get another shot, but he hasn't been very good at ES in several months.

They are missing Gelinas on the PP, but nowhere else. He was becoming unplayable on even strength for a while now. You could easily dress 7 defensemen but with Rutuu taking over Loktionov's spot, there isn't anyone I could see Pete scratching. Of course you could take Bernier or Carter out, but does anyone expect that?

While this is true, his worth on PP is massive. I believe Merrill is finally breaking down after a very long first pro season and this would be the time to reinsert Gelinas.

While this is true, his worth on PP is massive. I believe Merrill is finally breaking down after a very long first pro season and this would be the time to reinsert Gelinas.

It's not as big as you would think - he plays very well but he is also getting very lucky.