Preds sign Volchenkov for 1 year/ $1mill

hoekster316

I don't think the Devils would've gone into the season with a sextet of Greene, Zidlicky, Volchenkov, Merrill, Larsson, Gelinas.  That's the worst part about Salvador leaving after next season, it puts the Devils in the market for a Salvador style D, and there's plenty available.

now, i'm assuming you're on the same wavelength i was when i wrote this and that i was referring to the summer of 2012 after the cup run.  that's why my response to your staement is:

how quickly you forget - you're missing a defenseman on that list (2 actually) that we both penciled in as we expected another idiot GM to overpay for salvador instead of our own. neither gelinas or merrill were a twinkle in our eye.

now if you're going to say that the devils would not buy out salvador instead of volchenkov last week because they don't want THIS year's 6D to be what you've said, my argument would still say that they're better with anton than they are with sal next year, but i agree that the devils obviously don't feel that way (and have valued sal over anton always).

I can't tell if you're misunderstanding me - I'm talking about this season.  Obviously I think they would've gone into 2012-13 with a sextet of Volchenkov, Greene, Tallinder, Fayne, Larsson, Zidlicky, but I don't think that's what we're talking about.  

Tallinder seems like his NHL career might be over - either he signs one of these Volchenkov-type deals (which may or may not be out there for him) or he's done.  He didn't get dealt at the deadline last year which seemed telling.

now, i'm assuming you're on the same wavelength i was when i wrote this and that i was referring to the summer of 2012 after the cup run.  that's why my response to your staement is:

how quickly you forget - you're missing a defenseman on that list (2 actually) that we both penciled in as we expected another idiot GM to overpay for salvador instead of our own. neither gelinas or merrill were a twinkle in our eye.

now if you're going to say that the devils would not buy out salvador instead of volchenkov last week because they don't want THIS year's 6D to be what you've said, my argument would still say that they're better with anton than they are with sal next year, but i agree that the devils obviously don't feel that way (and have valued sal over anton always).

Hard to know if that was only predicated on Salvador being given the captaincy. It was clear for a lot of last season that the Devils needed to sit one of the two to get some offense from Gelinas. We always knew it was not going to be Salvador. It kind of snowballs from there where you give someone the captaincy, you speak glowingly of them, you never scratch them and all of a sudden you start believing they are that good just because he has a letter on his chest, and it isn't even in the thought process to scratch him.

I think that's where the Devils are with Salvador. But Lou has always been a major fan. Even before the contract was given out, I was pretty positive he'd be brought back due to the way Lou talked about Bryce. It really stood out. Everything from his comeback, the work he put in, the leadership, etc. The fluke offensive playoff run was the clincher to really raise his market value up. You'll hear coaches and GMs talk about how important the Bryce Salvador's of the worlds are when you sign a contract like that. Don't think we've seen it.

I can't tell if you're misunderstanding me - I'm talking about this season.  Obviously I think they would've gone into 2012-13 with a sextet of Volchenkov, Greene, Tallinder, Fayne, Larsson, Zidlicky, but I don't think that's what we're talking about.  

Tallinder seems like his NHL career might be over - either he signs one of these Volchenkov-type deals (which may or may not be out there for him) or he's done.  He didn't get dealt at the deadline last year which seemed telling.

that's was what i was talking about (2012). the conversation was brought into the direction of someone saying that some people weren't thrilled with sal's 3 year contract that summer. i then said i was livid about it because it was a misallocation of resources and buying high on a guy who had a flukey month. if sal didn't get 14 points in that playoff run, i don't think he'd have been resigned.

that's was what i was talking about (2012). the conversation was brought into the direction of someone saying that some people weren't thrilled with sal's 3 year contract that summer. i then said i was livid about it because it was a misallocation of resources and buying high on a guy who had a flukey month. if sal didn't get 14 points in that playoff run, i don't think he'd have been resigned.

Oh he'd be back, but at a lower cap hit.

Hard to know if that was only predicated on Salvador being given the captaincy. It was clear for a lot of last season that the Devils needed to sit one of the two to get some offense from Gelinas. We always knew it was not going to be Salvador. It kind of snowballs from there where you give someone the captaincy, you speak glowingly of them, you never scratch them and all of a sudden you start believing they are that good just because he has a letter on his chest, and it isn't even in the thought process to scratch him.

I think that's where the Devils are with Salvador. But Lou has always been a major fan. Even before the contract was given out, I was pretty positive he'd be brought back due to the way Lou talked about Bryce. It really stood out. Everything from his comeback, the work he put in, the leadership, etc. The fluke offensive playoff run was the clincher to really raise his market value up. You'll hear coaches and GMs talk about how important the Bryce Salvador's of the worlds are when you sign a contract like that. Don't think we've seen it.

Salvador was kept over Colin White in 2011-12.  I thought Salvador would be bought out, if anyone was going to be (it was revealed that he was healthy over the summer), but White was the guy tossed aside.  And White was the guy who Lemaire was going to give the C when Langenbrunner sat in 2010.  

I don't really think the fluke playoff run really boosted Salvador's value that greatly - I mean, the AAV of Salvador's contract is really not outrageous - it was just the term.  I don't think he'll play more than half the games.

Salvador was kept over Colin White in 2011-12.  I thought Salvador would be bought out, if anyone was going to be (it was revealed that he was healthy over the summer), but White was the guy tossed aside.  And White was the guy who Lemaire was going to give the C when Langenbrunner sat in 2010.  

I don't really think the fluke playoff run really boosted Salvador's value that greatly - I mean, the AAV of Salvador's contract is really not outrageous - it was just the term.  I don't think he'll play more than half the games.

I think there were some issues with White and Lou. This was a year after the White going to where a C for a game stuff, and *gulp* playing up front on the PP. From all reports it was agreed to go their separate ways in the exit meetings after what was a pretty tough season.

As for Salvador, either his fluke offensive run or the team's run showcasing him to many GMs probably boosted it up a bit. 500K a season? He went from a guy that not many would be interested to Lou knowing that he had to be taken care of or Bryce would definitely get a solid deal on the open market.