GDT: NJ Devils vs. Dallas Stars - Niedermayer Number Retirement

Colin226

great forecheck and speed from tedenby forcing the puck out.

wish the people in the expensive seats would of worked of some chants and joined in! thanks to anyone there being vocal last night. i know that at stevens night there was a good scotty stevens chant going did any niedermayer chant really catch on?

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Moose is so fvcking good. Why can't they let him play at least few consecutive games? So stupid.

Huh? He wasn't that great in the game, he made some nice saves but had to be bailed out by Sal on two different occasions (I'm not talking about the same play, there was another one in the 3rd), looked like a goof on the first goal, and he had a ton of near misses. there were pucks whizzing by him for most of the third period.

now, those are not his fault because you'd think SOMEONE would be capable of playing D, but I digress.

Huh? He wasn't that great in the game, he made some nice saves but had to be bailed out by Sal on two different occasions (I'm not talking about the same play, there was another one in the 3rd), looked like a goof on the first goal, and he had a ton of near misses. there were pucks whizzing by him for most of the third period.

now, those are not his fault because you'd think SOMEONE would be capable of playing D, but I digress.

I agree. Moose wasn't at his best last night, and for the first time in a while I was actually a bit nervous when the play was happening around him.

A very enjoyable night. I thought the presentation to Niedermayer was done very well. The game of course was lots of fun an win is always fun. We can be a strong team when Zajac gets his legs and timing game ready and Josefson comes back.

Colin your GDT worked, thanks

I'll never top my 9 game GDT win streak lol

It'll be nice to have so many home games coming up

just thinking more about the game i have two thoughts that stuck with me:

1) giving tedenby a guy like zajac makes him so much better. i thought he was fantastic in all 3 zones last night. if we assume that 9-14-17 is going to remain pretty consistent, then i could see them leaving it alone and creating a 3rd line of 21-19-23 which could be very good. while i'm not the biggest fan of using our best center in a "3rd line" role, i think that's what we'll see for a while. he will get enough PK and PP time that he should still see 18 minutes a night which is fine. when josefson comes back, that's when i think the rubber will meet the road and henrique will be forced back to wing - probably with josefson and clarkson creating a 4th line of tedenby-carter-boulton. i know everyone wants kovalchuk on LW because that's where he's always been but if he can keep doing what he's doing on RW, it makes the team that much stronger. frankly, it's a bit irrelevant - most of kovy's goals this year have come from the left side anyway (including last night).

2) not having tallinder in the lineup creates all sorts of problems for the pairs - you saw is last night as they tried volchenkov-larsson which didn't work b/c AV got put on his wrong side - it showed when both he and larsson went to the right and left morrow wide open for his goal. later they tried larsson-urbom putting larsson on the left and that was also an adventure. if tallinder is a scratch again tonight, i'd hope that taormina goes in because he plays the left side as does tallinder.

Anyone notice Zajac was -2 w/ 15 minutes ice time? The ice time is surprising I didn't expect him to even be out there that long. I bet he gets those +/- points back tonight vs. the Habs :)

Btw it is AWESOME to see the Devils scoring some goals now!

i did notice travis' -2. i also noted that they were results of the defensemen making incorrect plays (AV-Larsson and Larsson-Urbom as noted previously). i thought travis was totally fine tonight.

1) giving tedenby a guy like zajac makes him so much better. i thought he was fantastic in all 3 zones last night. if we assume that 9-14-17 is going to remain pretty consistent, then i could see them leaving it alone and creating a 3rd line of 21-19-23 which could be very good. while i'm not the biggest fan of using our best center in a "3rd line" role, i think that's what we'll see for a while. he will get enough PK and PP time that he should still see 18 minutes a night which is fine. when josefson comes back, that's when i think the rubber will meet the road and henrique will be forced back to wing - probably with josefson and clarkson creating a 4th line of tedenby-carter-boulton. i know everyone wants kovalchuk on LW because that's where he's always been but if he can keep doing what he's doing on RW, it makes the team that much stronger. frankly, it's a bit irrelevant - most of kovy's goals this year have come from the left side anyway (including last night).

I was thinking the same thing last night. For the 1st time in a while, Tedenby looked good and we had a real 3rd line. I'm not sure if it was an aberration or not, but if it continues I wouldn't mind letting that line stick together for a while, especially since our 1st and 2nd lines are doing what they need to for now. I'd much rather have Zajac there and have 3 real scoring lines than artificially putting him back on the 1st line and hurting our depth.

2) not having tallinder in the lineup creates all sorts of problems for the pairs - you saw is last night as they tried volchenkov-larsson which didn't work b/c AV got put on his wrong side - it showed when both he and larsson went to the right and left morrow wide open for his goal. later they tried larsson-urbom putting larsson on the left and that was also an adventure. if tallinder is a scratch again tonight, i'd hope that taormina goes in because he plays the left side as does tallinder.

You can keep Travis there for a bit, and then filp him with henrique for a try to see if the top line can become the #1 line in the NHL. this year is about getting to the playoffs and keeping zach swimming in points. zajac will get more out of kovy too. he'll be a better option carrying it in or being a feed when kovy draws the entire D as he does. the real question is what happens when jospheson gets back???? our 3 line depth is a key strength right now they dominate zone time!

Bryce really stepped up last night he was the only D-man calm behind the net and winning constantly. we need greene healthy and talinder back fast! need to see foster more but he looks real thin and lanky out there. A-train seems to be getting him more than hitting. our d lacks intimadation

Edited by EdgeControl

I don't understand why everyone is so quick to boot Henrique to wing for Josefson when Henrique has clearly been the better player...how about booting Josefson to the wing for him?

I don't understand why everyone is so quick to boot Henrique to wing for Josefson when Henrique has clearly been the better player...how about booting Josefson to the wing for him?

Bingo. There is absolutely no reason to not have Henrique play center if he's playing like this.

My wife and i had a great time last night. Sort of what i expected from Niedermayer. Nothing overly fancy and attention grabbing just professionalism and a sense of pride and honor. We sat downstairs, 14 rows off the ice so we had a great view. Great to see board members whom i got the chance to stop and chat with as well.

On a related note, who the hell else is disapointed there were absolutely no souveniers for #27 other then his agent out in front of the Fire lounge hawking off items? Where was the T's, hats, pucks, etc., in the Devils Den?

Bingo. There is absolutely no reason to not have Henrique play center if he's playing like this.

because josefson is a natural center and his skill set and play show that's the best place for him.

henrique will be a better winger in the nhl than center. he is still shoot first which, when you're playing with parise and kovalchuk, you shouldn't be. that's not to say he can't be a good center - it's just not the maximum combination the devils should employ when they have JJ back.

if this whole lineup is healthy, i don't know how they can't go:

parise-zajac-kovalchuk

sykora-elias-zubrus

henrique-josefson-clarkson

tedenby-carter-boulton (i'd love this to be zharkov but it looks like that ship has sailed)

because josefson is a natural center and his skill set and play show that's the best place for him.

henrique will be a better winger in the nhl than center. he is still shoot first which, when you're playing with parise and kovalchuk, you shouldn't be. that's not to say he can't be a good center - it's just not the maximum combination the devils should employ when they have JJ back.

parise-zajac-kovalchuk

sykora-elias-zubrus

tedenby-carter-boulton (i'd love this to be zharkov but it looks like that ship has sailed)

Well the hope is the top line doesn't slow down to the point where Pete can't mess with a good thing. But I do agree that in the long run that works. Hard to know what you'll get with Josefson though when he comes back, but no clue where else you put him.

Edited by devilsrule33

My wife and i had a great time last night. Sort of what i expected from Niedermayer. Nothing overly fancy and attention grabbing just professionalism and a sense of pride and honor. We sat downstairs, 14 rows off the ice so we had a great view. Great to see board members whom i got the chance to stop and chat with as well.

On a related note, who the hell else is disapointed there were absolutely no souveniers for #27 other then his agent out in front of the Fire lounge hawking off items? Where was the T's, hats, pucks, etc., in the Devils Den?

Me. On the nights Stevens and Dano had their respective jerseys retired, I bought Stevens and Dano T-shirts and hats (actually, I missed out on the Stevens hat; it must've sold out quick).

I don't know how much it costs to produce some Nieder merchandise, but I assume had the team done so for last night's game, they would've cleaned up. I searched everywhere for something Nieder-related (not autographed stuff), and all I saw were some Nieder jerseys in one of the lower-concourse Devils Dens.

Edited by 95Crash

parise-zajac-kovalchuk

sykora-elias-zubrus

I think its also worth noting that Henrique and Josefson had a lot of chemistry when they played together last year in Albany. I agree with you on Zharkov but I'm not going to get my hopes up that they will call him up.