GDT: Bruins @Devils 18th March 2014

nick17112

This was his prediction a couple weeks back in the Quest to 91 thread.  lol he is 1-3 so far on his predictions.

Flyers: Loss - They're red hot right now.

Panthers: Win - They suck.

Lightning: Win - They've been in a freefall since January.

Bruins: Loss - We never beat them anymore unless they hand the game to us like earlier this year.

Wild: Win - Scoring problems.

Rangers: Loss - Playing too well, and they added a star winger at the deadline.

Maple Leafs: Win - Bad defense.

Coyotes: Win - Not playing well at all right now.

Islanders: Win - They suck.

Panthers: Win - They suck.

Sabres: Win - They suck.

Capitals: Loss - Still a very talented team albeit inconsistent.

Hurricanes: Win - Bad team.

Flames: Win - Bad team.

Senators: Win - Bad defense and they're inconsistent.

Islanders: Win - They suck.

Bruins : Loss - Great team.

Basically why trying to do a game-by-game prediction is worthless.  Especially when the predicter decides that teams that "suck" or are "bad" will be automatic wins for the Devils.  Because of course a two-games-over NHL. 500 team like the Devils is a sure bet to beat "bad" teams.   

Basically why trying to do a game-by-game prediction is worthless.  Especially when the predicter decides that teams that "suck" or are "bad" will be automatic wins for the Devils.  Because of course a two-games-over NHL. 500 team like the Devils is a sure bet to beat "bad" teams.   

I posted a couple days ago that I really had a feeling the Devils were going to beat the Bruins last night.  I was obviously wrong but goes to show that with this team you can't predict anything with them, let alone a game by game prediction for the rest of the year.

The only thing I am pretty sure of at this point is that this team is not making the playoffs.

that's a real nice post dr33.

it's a team that needed everything to go right and for the coach to maximize the chances for that to happen. neither did and here we are.

i hope and pray that this season makes no player truly safe and lou looks at cold hard facts:

the following players have NO business being on the team next year: brodeur, salvador, bernier, carter.

the following players need to be marginalized and made to be minor characters: zubrus, ruutu, volchenkov

xxxx-zajac-jagr

henrique-elias-xxxx

brunner-xxxx-clowe

rutuu-zubrus-sislo

greene-larsson

merrill-fayne

gelinas-volchenkov

harrold

schneider

xxxxx

fill those x's

The thing is, Lou has no reason NOT to be bad next season. We have a first round pick, potentially a lottery pick. It's not like this year where a lottery pick would do us any good. On that note, I pray to god we do NOT win the lottery, it would be a giant embarrasment for the organization.Not that it really matters, but still.  With that said, get rid of as much of the deadwood as possible.

Get rid of: Salvador

Maybe: Zid

Already on 3rd pair/PK: Anton

I want to see the defense next year as:

Greene-Fayne

Larsson-Gelinas

Merill-Volchenkov

We don't need Savador and Volchenkov. I like Anton more and what he brings, so get rid of Sal. I don't care if they have to retain salary. He doens't have a NTC, maybe a team who wants to shore up a PK has an idea where Sal can fit in like the Isles or Florida. Who knows.

Now, I am OK with resigning Zidlicky IF Lou feels the need we have to trade Gelinas or Larsson to get offensive help. Like I said near the deadline, we need to make a trade that's for top line talent, speed, offensive help, the works. I am not sure who that target maybe, but it needs to happen. I want to see the young defensemen play. LArsson, as its been discussed is waiver-eligible next season and must be on the roster. He CANNOT be Josefsoned as a healthy scratch. I can't imagine with Larsson's talent to be the case. I don't think Lou will let that happen with Pete at the helm either.

Agreed with getting rid/marginalizing certain players.

Rid: Bernier, Ryder

Maybe: Carter

We have redunancies in Ryder and Brunner in what they bring. Again, I don't want patchwork out there. Brunner is a little younger, has some speed. Perhaps he can still work, and if not, it's only one year left. Ryder is a complimentary player, one who would do well with no responsibility on a good team. Not us. Carter, I think is useful, especially on the PK. We can slot in Sislo and Matteau, perhaps, but I would be comfortable having Carter/Sislo rotate in on the 4th line. Henrique has shown enough ability to be a 2nd line winger, so that's where I'd slot him in next season like Sundstrom did.

The thing is I am not sure having Elias as the 2nd line center is a good idea as he's starting to get older, still playing PK and PP. Depending on trades, maybe we can move him back to wing, maybe not. I always want Statstny, but I can't imagine he'd come here at this stage in the development. Still though. We also have Sislo, Matteau and Boucher to think about depending on trades. Offense is going to be interesting. We need scoring and speed. Good luck to us.

I think we may have a issue in coaching,  I am not even sure it's Pete. I don't really want Stevens behind the bench next season. I don't know what's he is responsible for but with Larsson being full-time next season (I am fully confident) he will be - I want Albelin.

albelin sounds nice in theory but we have no idea what he's about other than, hey, he's swedish so maybe larsson gets a better shot.

as for stevens, i'm not so sure just how much he does to be honest - pete's got his hands on everything. i wish deboer had one more year on his deal because i'd give him that to see if he really can work. last year he was kneecapped by horrendous goaltending, injuries, terrible shooting luck and 1/2 a season. this year's team should be slightly better but shootouts and marty will likely sink it.

i like the heavy forecheck system. i like that he rolls lines. i know these guys don't tune him out and work hard (most of the time) for him.

is he going to scratch salvador? no he's not. but i don't think any coach will. that's gotta be a lou move.

I'll just leave this here..

Martin Brodeur calls out Devils for 'effort not being in the right spot' after latest loss

I don't think he's necessarily wrong, but he's a big part of why they're outside of the playoffs this year.

I saw that earlier as well.  Before he starts calling out other players he really needs to look at the replays of goals 1 & 3 last night and then look at himself in the mirror.

Screw you Marty. How about two of the goals he let up being the softest of softies with a third very questionable. 

Man I learned a lot about Marty in the last two years. He refuses to ever admit he had a bad game, likes to blame other people, and will whine about playing time.

The thing is, Lou has no reason NOT to be bad next season. We have a first round pick, potentially a lottery pick. It's not like this year where a lottery pick would do us any good. On that note, I pray to god we do NOT win the lottery, it would be a giant embarrasment for the organization.Not that it really matters, but still.  With that said, get rid of as much of the deadwood as possible.

Get rid of: Salvador

Maybe: Zid

Already on 3rd pair/PK: Anton

I want to see the defense next year as:

Greene-Fayne

Larsson-Gelinas

Merill-Volchenkov

We don't need Savador and Volchenkov. I like Anton more and what he brings, so get rid of Sal. I don't care if they have to retain salary. He doens't have a NTC, maybe a team who wants to shore up a PK has an idea where Sal can fit in like the Isles or Florida. Who knows.

Now, I am OK with resigning Zidlicky IF Lou feels the need we have to trade Gelinas or Larsson to get offensive help. Like I said near the deadline, we need to make a trade that's for top line talent, speed, offensive help, the works. I am not sure who that target maybe, but it needs to happen. I want to see the young defensemen play. LArsson, as its been discussed is waiver-eligible next season and must be on the roster. He CANNOT be Josefsoned as a healthy scratch. I can't imagine with Larsson's talent to be the case. I don't think Lou will let that happen with Pete at the helm either.

Agreed with getting rid/marginalizing certain players.

Rid: Bernier, Ryder

Maybe: Carter

We have redunancies in Ryder and Brunner in what they bring. Again, I don't want patchwork out there. Brunner is a little younger, has some speed. Perhaps he can still work, and if not, it's only one year left. Ryder is a complimentary player, one who would do well with no responsibility on a good team. Not us. Carter, I think is useful, especially on the PK. We can slot in Sislo and Matteau, perhaps, but I would be comfortable having Carter/Sislo rotate in on the 4th line. Henrique has shown enough ability to be a 2nd line winger, so that's where I'd slot him in next season like Sundstrom did.

The thing is I am not sure having Elias as the 2nd line center is a good idea as he's starting to get older, still playing PK and PP. Depending on trades, maybe we can move him back to wing, maybe not. I always want Statstny, but I can't imagine he'd come here at this stage in the development. Still though. We also have Sislo, Matteau and Boucher to think about depending on trades. Offense is going to be interesting. We need scoring and speed. Good luck to us.

I think we may have a issue in coaching,  I am not even sure it's Pete. I don't really want Stevens behind the bench next season. I don't know what's he is responsible for but with Larsson being full-time next season (I am fully confident) he will be - I want Albelin.

Lou isn't going to accept being bad just because of who is at the top of the draft.  We shouldn't want him to sell off pieces just to get a better shot at McDavid, Eichel or Barzal.  If we're truly that bad, I'd rather go down swinging, like in 2011 than give up.  That philosophy is part of the reason why I'm a Devils fan.  It's been said countless times, but what do you expect when you lose Parise and Kovalchuk in 12 months?  You expect these guys to be on the team for the long haul, but they both bailed.  Obviously this isn't a bad thing long term, but we all knew the first 3-4 years it'd absolutely kill. 

Regarding the defense, who the hell knows? 

Definitely: Greene, Gelinas and Larsson (the final two have to be on because they are waiver eligible)

Probably: Merrill

UFAs- Zidlicky and Fayne

Amnesty Candidates: Salvador and Volchenkov.  I'd like to keep Volchenkov because Salvador is just about finished, but you never know.

I've come up with:

Greene-Larsson

Gelinas-Fayne

Volchenkov-Merrill

I said in the chat that I wouldn't mind dealing one of the young dmen and signing a UFA.  Having three guys under 23 is sure to backfire, but I guess you can argue we have veterans making boneheaded plays.  It sure seems like Gelinas can't handle simple adjustments, though.

Stevens should also go.  Someone said in chat that Albelin would be better because the game isn't played how Stevens played, which is true.  All time greats often don't make good coaches and there's no shame in that.  Albelin relied on solid positioning and stickwork to get by.  I'm sick of seeing Gelinas go for big hits and puttiing himself out of position.  It's growing maddening.

Offensively, we do have several redundancies.  On one hand, we have Brunner/Ryder then we have Zubrus/Clowe/Ruutu.  I wouldn't mind moving Ryder at the draft just to clear out some room.  Unfortunately, the three power forwards are here to stay, which is especially alarming because Zubrus already looks like he is finished in this league.  Lou really blew that one.

With Elias and Jagr getting a year older, and the bunch of meh that compose of the rest of forward group remaining the same, it is entirely possible we are worse offensively.  Getting Stastny would be huge just so we can permantly shift Henrique over to wing.  CBGB are all UFAs, but I bet two out of three are back next year.  Sislo has certainly earned a shot at full time fourth line duties.  There isn't any doubt that Lou is going to get a decent player in free agency.  Stastny would be cool, but I could see us ending up with Jokinen or Grabovski (who wouldn't be the worst choice)

Ruutu-Zajac-Jagr

Henrique-Elias-Brunner

Clowe-Stastny-Zubrus

Gionta-JJ-Sislo

Goaltending seems to be an easy enough fix.  Give Schneider 75% of the starts and bring in any UFA backup or give Kinkaid the job.  The odds of them being any worse than Brodeur are slim to none.  If you don't believe me, look at this list http://www.nhl.com/ice/playerstats.htm?fetchKey=20142ALLGAGAll&viewName=savePercentageLeaders&sort=savePercentage&pg=2

I saw that earlier as well.  Before he starts calling out other players he really needs to look at the replays of goals 1 & 3 last night and then look at himself in the mirror.

3 was atrocious, but 1 might have been the worst goal I have seen given up this year. He looked like he let Bergeron score.

Screw you Marty. How about two of the goals he let up being the softest of softies with a third very questionable. 

Man I learned a lot about Marty in the last two years. He refuses to ever admit he had a bad game, likes to blame other people, and will whine about playing time.

He's been doing this is whole career - I'm sure '7' or LD could elaborate if they wanted to.  He just has the microscope on him this year, so everything he says is being especially scrutinized.

He's been doing this is whole career - I'm sure '7' or LD could elaborate if they wanted to. He just has the microscope on him this year, so everything he says is being especially scrutinized.

He's got the microscope on him cause he no longer deserves special treatment as a player but still gets it. If he was winning the Vezina nobody'd give a crap about his 'other side'

To be fair Marty has been unselfish monetarily for most of his career too, so there's that.

Good discussion here - I don't even need to add much.  

The crazy thing is that if NJ dealt Schneider, re-signed Brodeur, and didn't re-sign Jagr they would be in contention for McDavid for sure.  The question would be could they spin themselves right back into playoff contention?  Eh, I guess it's moot. 

I want Stevens gone.  The idiotic decisions on defense have really started with his coming aboard.  Why was Tallinder sat so much last year and Volchenkov used so much last year?  (I exempt Salvador because he's captain).  Why is Eric Gelinas throwing hits ever?  Who is telling him to do that and why?  We heard a comment from Gelinas or someone via Gulitti that they wanted Gelinas to be more physical.  He's not a physical player.  He definitely needs to be more physical in front of the net - without question, that's where he needs to take the man more often.  But I see him throwing hits along the boards or in spots where a hit is totally unneeded.  Why?  Whatever coach taught him to do this, or couldn't get him to stop doing it, should be out of the NJ organization.  He's not Anton Volchenkov.  And even Volchenkov is too often unsuccessful on his hit attempts.

Ultimately, NJ made the biggest mistakes teams make coming back from championship or near-championship runs - thinking that everyone who had the magic for those awesome two months has the magic permanently.  So we're treated to Salvador and Gionta and Bernier and Zubrus and Brodeur.  They've really got to cut bait on Zubrus and one of Salvador/Volchenkov - I love Zubrus but he's a total non-entity out there at this point, and the Devils cannot afford non-entities - they don't have enough good players to carry non-contributors.  Will Lou see this?  We always say he doesn't, and then he'll go and do something surprising like convince Brylin not to come back or buy out Jay Pandolfo.  I have to suspect given how Zubrus's ice time has been cut (seriously go look at the splits on h-r) that someone sees this, but the trouble is that Clowe isn't any better, so we're back at square one.

I'd peddle Henrique and Larsson around for a young star player who for whatever reason his team is disgruntled with him, but I don't see this sort of deal happening.  I'd like for it to happen but don't see it.   

For most of his career, yes. Brodeur was rarely a good pure puckstopper. Always a little above average. Good glove hand, but he was rarely a wall carrying a team like Roy or Hasek could be.

Brodeur actually became a better pure goalie post 2nd lockout. But in the 90's a lot of his softies killed us. Matteau, Graves, Jagr in game 6 1999. Ottawa 1998, Colorado 2001, Carolina EVERY DAMN TIME HE SEES THEM. Outplayed by Esche, outplayed by Emery...

Edited by '7'

He's got the microscope on him cause he no longer deserves special treatment as a player but still gets it. If he was winning the Vezina nobody'd give a crap about his 'other side'

To be fair Marty has been unselfish monetarily for most of his career too, so there's that.

It's not like he distanced himself from everyone else...I saw "we" and "our" in his quotes.  But it would probably go a long way with many if he said something along the lines of "and I have to play better too".

I'd peddle Henrique and Larsson around for a young star player who for whatever reason his team is disgruntled with him, but I don't see this sort of deal happening.  I'd like for it to happen but don't see it.   

unless you're getting taylor hall back, i don't know who even fits this description. duchense?

That'll be one of the great what ifs in Devils history, cause I don't think we'll ever see that again...I definitely see at least either Larsson or Gelly gone, one way or another before next season.

What burns my *** is with Larsson-Gelly rocking that's when we had our only real sustained stretch of the season (winning five of six against GOOD competition).

Now, this IS something I blame DeBoer for. We looked like a real team when they were gelling. This is one you lose sleep over.

Tampa has a some very talented offensive prospects in Drouin, Palat, and Kucherov..maybe Drouin and Palat make Kucherov expendable?

Not sure I'd want to trade Henrique and Larsson for him though.  

And, for the record, I'm on the "sell high on Gelinas" boat - he had a good rookie season, maybe GMs will look at the statistics and not realize he's awful defensively.  Bring back a forward prospect for him.

Edited by Devilsfan118

I want Stevens gone.  The idiotic decisions on defense have really started with his coming aboard.  Why was Tallinder sat so much last year and Volchenkov used so much last year?  (I exempt Salvador because he's captain).  Why is Eric Gelinas throwing hits ever?  Who is telling him to do that and why?  We heard a comment from Gelinas or someone via Gulitti that they wanted Gelinas to be more physical.  He's not a physical player.  He definitely needs to be more physical in front of the net - without question, that's where he needs to take the man more often.  But I see him throwing hits along the boards or in spots where a hit is totally unneeded.  Why?  Whatever coach taught him to do this, or couldn't get him to stop doing it, should be out of the NJ organization.  He's not Anton Volchenkov.  And even Volchenkov is too often unsuccessful on his hit attempts.

I could not agree more with this post. Stevens can be brought in to do motivational speeches once a year. Other than that I have never had any faith in him as a coach, I shook my head when they gave him his current role, and by now I just have a headache. It's like the Devils have forgotten how to let players be themselves and develop their talents. Every young D-man has to be a Stevens or he's out (a la Larsson) and if you're an offensive-minded forward, you have no place on the Devils.

Ultimately, NJ made the biggest mistakes teams make coming back from championship or near-championship runs - thinking that everyone who had the magic for those awesome two months has the magic permanently.  So we're treated to Salvador and Gionta and Bernier and Zubrus and Brodeur.

QFT. This was the epitome of Lou's status quo. We all knew it going in to last year: our team couldn't do what they did again, no way. And we made absolutely no upgrades, ZERRRRROOOOO, and on top of that lost Zach Parise. 

Also, now that I'm frustrated, in hindsight I have to scream, WHAT THE fvck DID WE DO TO ZHARKOV?

unless you're getting taylor hall back, i don't know who even fits this description. duchense?

Duchene isn't going anywhere.  Taylor Hall likely isn't either.  Again, I'm not sure on who would come back for such a package.  Eberle + something small?  Jeff Skinner?  Shame Jeff Skinner is killing it this year.  Someone who's legit and who is on a good contract.

Also Henrique to wing permanently needs to happen.  The guy has 20 assists over the last two years, the writing is on the wall, he doesn't make plays for other people.

As for DeBoer, I like him but I think this team needs fresh eyes - he's just not able to see what's going on, and this team is going to need a coach who can see that Zubrus and Salvador and guys like this are shot.

Edited by Triumph

Duchene isn't going anywhere.  Taylor Hall likely isn't either.  Again, I'm not sure on who would come back for such a package.  Eberle + something small?  Jeff Skinner?  Shame Jeff Skinner is killing it this year.  Someone who's legit and who is on a good contract.

Also Henrique to wing permanently needs to happen.  The guy has 20 assists over the last two years, the writing is on the wall, he doesn't make plays for other people.

As for DeBoer, I like him but I think this team needs fresh eyes - he's just not able to see what's going on, and this team is going to need a coach who can see that Zubrus and Salvador and guys like this are shot.

i would be unhappy with skinner for henrique + larsson. too much.

i agree on henrique to wing - and i think the devils do as well. getting another center will help there.

i'm not convinced another coach other than lemaire (haha) can do anything with zubrus and salvador

It'll be interesting what Lou or any new coach (if there is one) does if Salvador is on the team next year. Having a new coach come in and scratch the captain right away takes a bold motherf'er. 

Fresh eyes could be nice, but you can only do so much as a head coach with the players you are given. If Lou doesn't clear his head and see things clearly, what can any new coach do?