Who starts in goal next game?

95Crash

They wouldn't even play those guys over Hedberg last year, no way they play them over Marty this year.

The only way I could see Wedge or Kinkaid getting starts up here in Marty's place is if Marty gets hurt (and based on recent history, that COULD happen).  But if Marty's playing to NHL "pretty bad" level, and not below that, and seems to be healthy, I can't see them giving the Albany guys a shot over him.  He'd have to be abysmally bad for something that drastic to happen.   

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

But you know that they're not doing that to Marty in his final year.  It's one thing if he's losing starts to Schneider.  They're not going to play untested guys like Kinkaid or Wedgewood over him at the NHL level. 

Of course. But it isn't a crazy or even bad idea to give Kinkaid a start. Brodeur will play because it's Brodeur, and you could make the case that it gives him a chance to get into any kind of rhythm. If he is awful in the next few games...well you know what you are getting out of Martin Brodeur.

It may be an unknown, but plenty of AHL goalies step in and do well at the NHL level. Kinkaid didn't too bad in his brief appearance last year. And unknown is probably better or equal to known right now.

Kinkaid should have gotten a couple of starts over Hedberg last year.

i agree with you here.. over and over again hedberg was literally blowing games letting in the weakest shots that most certainly shouldve been stopped and they basically refused to give any of the younger goalies a start over him... petes made a lot of frustrating decisions since hes been here that leave us all wondering why

Of course. But it isn't a crazy or even bad idea to give Kinkaid a start. Brodeur will play because it's Brodeur, and you could make the case that it gives him a chance to get into any kind of rhythm. If he is awful in the next few games...well you know what you are getting out of Martin Brodeur.

It may be an unknown, but plenty of AHL goalies step in and do well at the NHL level. Kinkaid didn't too bad in his brief appearance last year. And unknown is probably better or equal to known right now.

Going strictly from a forensic standpoint, I completely understand what you're saying, but like I said, it's not going to happen unless Marty is off-the-charts, shouldn't-be-playing-in-the-NHL bad...think save% below .860 over 15 games or so.  The Devils have already made Schneider the #1 guy (before his injury, anyway) with a minimum of fuss/controversy, so I doubt they're now going to take a start away from Marty for an AHL guy anytime soon. 

I'm not going to tell you the idea of Marty starting gives me the warm and fuzzies...as much as I appreciate everything he's done over his career, at this stage, based on his last 19 GP, it's hard for me to feel real good about him being in net...of course, I'm always extremely hopeful when he's playing, hoping for one more shutout, but it's pretty hard for me not to expect 3-4 goals allowed in his starts.  But it all goes back to the same thing...it's one thing to ask Marty to step aside for a guy like Schneider who is simply the better NHL puckstopper right now, but the Devils aren't going to embarrass Marty by giving a Kinkaid-type one of his final games unless it gets really REALLY ugly.  And that's where this debate really lies...do you say to Marty "Thanks for everything, truly, we really do mean it, but at this point, we think an AHL goalie with 25:45 NHL minutes might be more of a help to us than you?"  Seriously, think about it...if you're Marty, that's how it's going to come off, no matter how delicately or politely the Devils try to pitch it to him.  This is where it gets tricky re:  exit strategies, when a legend who clearly may not have it anymore is still on your team, and is not going to retire before season's end.  Even if there's a decent argument why you might give Kinkaid a start or two to see if he can outplay Marty, it's going to come off as cold and disrespectful if the Devils do that to him.   

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

Going strictly from a forensic standpoint, I completely understand what you're saying, but like I said, it's not going to happen unless Marty is off-the-charts, shouldn't-be-playing-in-the-NHL bad...think save% below .860 over 15 games or so.  The Devils have already made Schneider the #1 guy (before his injury, anyway) with a minimum of fuss/controversy, so I doubt they're now going to take a start away from Marty for an AHL guy anytime soon. 

I'm not going to tell you the idea of Marty starting gives me the warm and fuzzies...as much as I appreciate everything he's done over his career, at this stage, based on his last 19 GP, it's hard for me to feel real good about him being in net...of course, I'm always extremely hopeful when he's playing, hoping for one more shutout, but it's pretty hard for me not to expect 3-4 goals allowed in his starts.  But it all goes back to the same thing...it's one thing to ask Marty to step aside for a guy like Schneider who is simply the better NHL puckstopper right now, but the Devils aren't going to embarrass Marty by giving a Kinkaid-type one of his final games unless it gets really REALLY ugly.  And that's where this debate really lies...do you say to Marty "Thanks for everything, truly, we really do mean it, but at this point, we think an AHL goalie with 25:45 NHL minutes might be more of a help to us than you?"  Seriously, think about it...if you're Marty, that's how it's going to come off, no matter how delicately or politely the Devils try to pitch it to him.  This is where it gets tricky re:  exit strategies, when a legend who clearly may not have it anymore is still on your team, and is not going to retire before season's end.  Even if there's a decent argument why you might give Kinkaid a start or two to see if he can outplay Marty, it's going to come off as cold and disrespectful if the Devils do that to him.   

Trust me...I get all of that.

My comments were simply for the people laughing off the idea from a pure puck-stopping ability and not thinking that Kinkaid could give the Devils a better chance to win.

Like others said, if Deboer wasn't going with Kinkaid even over Hedberg, we have our answer here with Marty.