Langenbrunner to Dallas. 3rd round conditional pick coming back

DevsFan7545

Can someone clarify whether or not Rolston can be bought out? Can he be bought out for a cheaper-real-dollars-contract despite his cap-hit counting in full?

It'll probably save Vanderbeek some money but doesn't save us a penny on the cap, that much I do know. So unless we're in desperate financial straits (and somehow have the cap room to deal with a dead $5 million) he won't be bought out.

I still have hope of him being traded in the offseason as an expiring contract but it'll be a looong second half of the season for him :lol:

Can someone clarify whether or not Rolston can be bought out? Can he be bought out for a cheaper-real-dollars-contract despite his cap-hit counting in full?

rolston can be bought out. he would be paid 2/3 of his $5MM in real money over the next two seasons. but next season would see a true $5MM cap hit.

there will be 2-4 teams that would trade a bad contract for this exact reason over the summer. the bad contract the devils take back will be one they can stash in the minors for cap flexibility.

rolston can be bought out. he would be paid 2/3 of his $5MM in real money over the next two seasons. but next season would see a true $5MM cap hit.

there will be 2-4 teams that would trade a bad contract for this exact reason over the summer. the bad contract the devils take back will be one they can stash in the minors for cap flexibility.

Yes, this was my point. Ok so if a team bought him out and the 2/3 would be paid over the two seasons, would the receiving team/blue jackets - be charged a cap hit for 2 years?

i don't think this is true, in looking over what's going on next season. i also don't think the devils should be stashing anything in the minor leagues.

i don't think this is true, in looking over what's going on next season. i also don't think the devils should be stashing anything in the minor leagues.

I want the Rolston for Commie deal just to get a buyout...no minor leagues. Not good for anyone.

Hopefully CLB puts Commie on re-entry and no one bites.

I want the Rolston for Commie deal just to get a buyout...no minor leagues. Not good for anyone.

Hopefully CLB puts Commie on re-entry and no one bites.

i would be down for this in the summer - rolston and a pick/prospect for commodore, each team buys out the other's problem. we can also structure the commodore buyout so that year 4 has much less money than year 2. so it could go something like 1M, 3M, 500k, 500k. i think that can be done, not willing to read up on the CBA to find out either how that buyout works or how the revenue sharing might be affected by columbus taking on an empty cap hit.

Yea but Commodore wants to play, and the Devils want rid rolly like Columbus wants rid of Commodore. Sounds like both teams don't want these guys - it'd make sense to get rid of headache now.

if rolston is any example, most nhl players are completely deluded about their desirability to other teams.

i agree that someone will likely beat us to the punch there, but why can't we do the same deal with that team over the summer?

johnny oduya's having a horrendous season for atlanta, but they also don't have anyone better anywhere near that team really, otherwise i'd suggest a rolston for oduya type of swap.

it's true - after capgeek got it wrong, they corrected it. i'm too lazy to go find it on twitter, but it's right (by that i mean buying out rolston over the summer). getting a bad contract back and stashing it in the minors is something else. the commodore thing could also work over the summer.

can waivers/re-entry happen over the summer? i'd assume not, because i wonder if someone would take rolston @ 2.5 for next year? probably not. but if the isles need the floor, rolston might be their man.

it's true - after capgeek got it wrong, they corrected it. i'm too lazy to go find it on twitter, but it's right (by that i mean buying out rolston over the summer). getting a bad contract back and stashing it in the minors is something else. the commodore thing could also work over the summer.

can waivers/re-entry happen over the summer? i'd assume not, because i wonder if someone would take rolston @ 2.5 for next year? probably not. but if the isles need the floor, rolston might be their man.

Couldn't that move be made right at the end of the season after all of this years salary has been paid out?

Edited by Lateralous

waivers can happen any time. re-entry has to wait until training camp next year. i'm not totally convinced the islanders will need the floor, and if they do, they will always have some sort of out - that's not what i want to hitch my wagon to.