matteau signed to 3 year ELC

sundstrom

31 oct, November 3rd and 4th he's playing in st-john Moncton and Bathurst and in halifax in january... im probly gonna go at those games since im back in Moncton now

Hahah I'm in Quebec City, I'm gonna try and go see him when he plays at the Colisee Pepsi against the Remparts!

@TGfireandice: Devils have signed 2012 1st rd pick Stefan Matteau to 3-year entry level contract.

_______

not sure what, if anything this means at this juncture.

Some talk that Matteau would be eligible to play in the AHL, either based on the fact that the AHL/CHL agreement expired, or because he was part of the U.S. Development Team, he's not considered subject to that agreement. But based on his play with the U.S. Development team I see no reason to stick him in the AHL.

Some talk that Matteau would be eligible to play in the AHL, either based on the fact that the AHL/CHL agreement expired, or because he was part of the U.S. Development Team, he's not considered subject to that agreement. But based on his play with the U.S. Development team I see no reason to stick him in the AHL.

I don't get what you mean based on his play. I thought reports were he played very well? If so, would the AHL be so bad?

I don't get what you mean based on his play. I thought reports were he played very well? If so, would the AHL be so bad?

Even if he played 'very well', he's not likely to be particularly good in the AHL - I'd rather have him play against the weaker QMJHL competition in a larger role.

“He had a good camp up in Lake Placid,” Lamoriello said. “It’s his size and strength and also his hockey sense is maybe better than I thought.”

I will go off the board here and say if Matteau has a very good camp you may see him make the team like Wayne Simmonds did for LA. There is nothing ahead of him on the wing. He has to beat Tedenby or someone line him for a roster spot and with his size strength he no doubt will be better on the boards, more physical and better defensively. I can see DeBoer liking him.

“He had a good camp up in Lake Placid,” Lamoriello said. “It’s his size and strength and also his hockey sense is maybe better than I thought.”

I will go off the board here and say if Matteau has a very good camp you may see him make the team like Wayne Simmonds did for LA. There is nothing ahead of him on the wing. He has to beat Tedenby or someone line him for a roster spot and with his size strength he no doubt will be better on the boards, more physical and better defensively. I can see DeBoer liking him.

Simmonds was drafted in 2007 and made the team in 2008-09. Matteau should not be anywhere near this team.

He has to beat Tedenby or someone line him for a roster spot and with his size strength he no doubt will be better on the boards, more physical and better defensively. I can see DeBoer liking him.

Larsson last season was called the most "NHL ready player" picked in the draft and look at the struggles he went through last season. He also had much more skill, was much more developed than matteau, and was picked 25 spots higher. Stefan needs atleast a year in the Q then a year in the AHL then maybe just maybe we can expect to see him here in New Jersey.

Larsson last season was called the most "NHL ready player" picked in the draft and look at the struggles he went through last season. He also had much more skill, was much more developed than matteau, and was picked 25 spots higher. Stefan needs atleast a year in the Q then a year in the AHL then maybe just maybe we can expect to see him here in New Jersey.

Apples to oranges. Larsson was getting top line defenseman minutes for much of the season. It's also traditionally much more difficult to crack the roster as an 18 year old defenseman rather than an 18 year old forward. Also note that Larsson, on the whole, was pretty good last year. He had his disaster moments, but wasn't completely out of place.

As Jason noted, you have to look at who potentially is in front of him. Lou also seems to be really impressed, as much as anyone can interpret Lou speak. Leads me to believe he has more than an outside shot of making the team this year, especially if there's a lockout.

This is true but it is SO much tougher to make the team as a rookie defensemen than a rookie forward.

Simmonds was drafted in 2007 and made the team in 2008-09. Matteau should not be anywhere near this team.

I just wouldn't be terribly surprised if he was pro out of camp. His upside isn't that high so developing him maybe the difference between 2nd and 3rd liner. Players with his skillset can develop at the NHL level. Yea, even still, 19 is very young to be doing that. They did a similar thing to Clifford.

I just wouldn't be terribly surprised if he was pro out of camp. His upside isn't that high so developing him maybe the difference between 2nd and 3rd liner. Players with his skillset can develop at the NHL level. Yea, even still, 19 is very young to be doing that. They did a similar thing to Clifford.

They also did a similar thing with Oscar Moller and that worked out just fine. I'm not saying that Matteau is similar to Moller, just that developing players at the NHL level has its downside. According to 2012 NHL draft equivalencies, based on his numbers from last year, Matteau would score 14 points in 82 games. I don't like starting a player's ELC that early, especially if a replacement can easily be found.

Even with our openings at F, I can't see the kid making this team and playing in the NHL this year. He has an NHL frame, but that's it. Even Parise had a season in the minors before playing in the NHL after the lockout.

Yeah, but Parise had to have a season in the minors. He also started pretty slow for what he would become. Plenty of Devils players never played in the minors.

Plenty of Devils players never played in the minors.

Who? Nieds, Gomez and Larsson are the only recent ones that come to mind. (I assume you're not including players acquired via trade like Kovalchuk or players like Rafalski who were signed out of Europe in their mid-20s). You can include Muller, MacLean and Shanahan if you want to go in the way back machine.

Who? Nieds, Gomez and Larsson are the only recent ones that come to mind. (I assume you're not including players acquired via trade like Kovalchuk or players like Rafalski who were signed out of Europe in their mid-20s). You can include Muller, MacLean and Shanahan if you want to go in the way back machine.

Zajac didn't

There was also Zajac, Sykora, and Paul Martin. David Hale made the team his rookie year, but then went down to the minors the next year.

Honestly, if Matteau has a good camp and is considered ready, then so be it. I would trust the staff on that one. They definitely seem to see something in him.