Lou's All Star Break Assessment

DevilinLA

The Devils as a team have huge holes in basically every position except LW. We have a goaltender who is in the very twilight of his career and a backup who is starting to enter that phase. We have a mediocre defense that could use a little toughening up. We have centers that are decent to good, but on Cup-competing teams Zajac would be a 2nd line center. Finally, just do not get me started on our RW.

Honestly, seeing Parise go even if for nothing in return might be a blessing. It would free up some space to sign other players to help fill some of the gaps. Even better would be to possible trade him before the deadline or his rights before July 1st and possible get some good picks in there.

I do like Parise and think he is a great player and all that jazz, but honestly we haven't done too much with him and he does tend to sink a little in the playoffs.

This team would not in the playoffs currently were it not for shootout wins, it's just not that good.

A hugely important decision is going to be made soon regarding the direction of this franchise. I don't have enough info regarding

1. Ownership finances

2. Trade Offers for Parise

3. What Parise wants to sign now (if that's even doable)

to make an intelligent argument for or against trading Parise, but keeping him then losing him could potentially spell a return to the bottom of the Eastern Conference for the next 3 years (especially since the team loses a 1st). This isn't like losing Gomez or Rafalski. It could be truly fatal.

Edited by halfsharkalligatorhalfman

well i mean... i "think" its safe to say that the situation is sh!tty now but the owner and management will get it back up and running in the next few months year...

we will still need to spend cash on the players... so IMO... Lou can always present a contract like the one Kovy got where the 2 first years are lower in salary then go higher... so as long as the cap hit is okay... and lets say its impossible due to our financial problem to get zach to a 7cap hit... im pretty sure Lou would rather trade Zubrus or wtv or dont resign Brodeur instead of letting Zach go just because of this "problem of the moment" you can always work the contract so that it goes around it for now and get things going after... it buys you time

i may be wrong but still not as if they will have to add 80millions next season for zach... they'll still have to pay around the top cap

This team would not in the playoffs currently were it not for shootout wins, it's just not that good.

Since the Devils stopped getting shootout wins as often this has become less true.

The Devils have 1 less ROW than Florida and only 3 teams behind the Devils have more ROW.

Devils only have 2 shootout wins more than Florida and 3 more than Boston.

The Devils going from 8-2 in the shootout to 5-5 is only a 3 point swing, it's not the massive difference I think people want to make it out to be. Is Florida more deserving of the playoffs because they have 11 loser points to the Devils 3 but 1 extra ROW?