MVP of Rounds 1 & 2

Don

I was discussing this last night and it's tough for me to pick who has been the team's best player over the first two rounds. There really doesn't seem to be anybody carrying the team right now. There are just so many candidates. Brodeur's numbers look pretty good, but take last night's game as an example and there were not a whole lot of great chances against him. Parise has given his all and has been tenacious, but had only 4 points against the Flyers whereas several others had the same or more.

Thoughts?

It just seems to be a really solid team effort.

7 different players with game winning goals.

If you pushed me to pick I would say Travis Zajac.

Some timely and important goals in both series , whilst playing solid at both ends. Considering the amout of games he has played this season and the potential for rust, i think he has done fantastically well.

this is team! sooo many guys stepped up. Zubie is playing his best hockey, henrique and him are a 3rd line force, zach and elias are all over the puck and the kovy/travis connection is heating up again. add in the checking grit of bernier and poni and gio. I thought greene was excellant on D with zid. fayne and sal were too. they nulified the mighty Flyers forecheck for the most part. the team played great technical hockey. awesome job petey D!!!

Right now...imo...the MVP is PDB. The way this team is playing...he's a big part of it.

The players quotes from TG about the coaching staff speak volumes. I would imagine that Lemaire and Caron also had something to do with it as far as scouting the opponents...

Statistically, Kovy and Zajac are in front. Parise hasn't had a bad shift ... always making something happen. Zubes has been great. Salvador has been channeling his inner Stevens all postseason long. Brodeur, while his puck-stopping hasn't been spectacular, might be handling the puck better than ever before, and that's just about as big a reason for the dominance over Philly as the forecheck.

Everyone else has been solid as well. Really, you could pick just about anybody. Such a balanced team right now. Four lines, three pairings, everything clicking.

Hot damn, has this been a fun run thus far or what?!

So many choices. But Im going the other way and picking Clarkson. Key, crazy, back-breaking goals. Not getting into stupid fights. Maybe not MVP "numbers", but maybe "Unsung hero" award. ( I think he is +6 to boot)

Andy Greene, Zidlicky, Salvador and Fayne have been phenominal. Never would have seen this coming, but glad we have them.

Offensively, Gionta, Bernier, Zubrus and Clarkson have lead a massive force of forecheck which has allowed our other forwards the space to move freely.

PDB and Larry Robinson get my vote.

Zajac, or the 4th liners. Coaching staff deserves all the props in the world as well.

Also, good to see you again, Don. Missed your posts.

I would say Zajac or Kovy. They scored some big goals and have been pretty clutch. I think Zidlicky should be an honorable mention. Kinda under the radar a bit but has played really well on both sides of the ice. Hope hes ok, but since there hasnt been an update its not looking good.

He's been my MVP. Whatever line he's on has been stellar in every game, it hasn't resulted in massive point totals but he's a difference maker and I think the team feeds off his incredible forechecking.

The more I think about it, the more I agree. He's been mustard all playoffs long. Stevens showed you don't needs points, you just need to be a difference maker. Every one of his shifts has been a momentum builder for NJ or a momentum buster for the opponent.

Yeah. My vote goes to Zach.

The fact that EVERYONE played a difference just shouts Deboer, we could not have done this under Lemaire.

Marty handling the puck like he did back in our glory days, helping out the D was magical to watch.

I'm gonna have to go with Andy Greene. I mean, have you SEEN the man's playoff beard? I didn't think he was capable!

(In all seriousness - Kovalchuk/Parise/Zajac - take your pick)

Jokes aside, Greene has been a bit of an unsung hero. Not a lot of points production, but he's been making good decisions and joins the rush when he needs to. He's looked better in these playoffs than he has all season.

It's hard for me to decide who has been best though. It's good to know that nobody is carrying the team on their back. Maybe for that reason, you choose the coaching staff.

• Like 1