2013-2014 Lineup/Roster Thread

devilsrule33

Like I have been saying we need to give joe Whitney a shot. He's got 20 points in 19 games with Albany. We are starving for offense in the worst way, he can't be worse than Cam or Tedenby so with Gionta hurt - why not try it? We have a roster spot. Just give the guy a shot.

Zubrus-Zajac-Jagr

Whitney-Elias-Ryder

Brunner-Loktionov-Henrique

Carter-Josefson-Bernier

I don't like Henrique at wing.

Somewhat off topic, but it is related to the roster:

When is one of our younger players going to break out offensively? It's getting so frustrating that the team is relying on almost strictly its veterans and its defense to generate offense. It's amazing that we're nearly 25 games into the season, and Jaromir Jagr seems like the only forward who is consistently putting up points (Elias too, but he is obviously recovering from an injury).

Our team has a bunch of players who have shown offensive talent in Brunner, Loktionov, Henrique, Josefson, and Tedenby, but not a single one of them has shown up much this season. The best of the bunch is Henrique with 8 points over 23 games.

You could make the argument that PDB has given the best minutes to the veterans (top 2 lines are mostly older players), but other teams have had their third lines produce. I really wonder what's going on with these guys and whether it's the system that's holding them back.

Brunner's confidence has disappeared and I don't know when it will come back.  Until then he just keeps making the wrong play.

Loktionov's on ice shooting percentage is super low - his line isn't getting the breaks.  I thought he was playing fairly well lately.

Tedenby isn't going to be an NHL scorer.

I'm seriously concerned about Brunner.  

I'm not that worried about Ryder actually.  He's getting his chances.  Eventually they start going in for him.  

Loktionov has been playing well imo.  Sure he may not be producing, but he's skating hard and doing some good things.

DeBoer on Brodeur starting tonight: "He feels good and wanted the game, so that was good enough for me.”

So that's what Cory has to do: tell Pete he wants the game. One thing is for sure...we have the best backup since...since...Vancouver in 2011-2012.

yeah, i can't support this idea. then again, cory's going to get 2 of the next 3 and 4 of the next 8 so i guess it's not a huge deal.

Can't be so sure. Marty with a decent performance and a win? I could see Debo rolling out Brodeur again Wednesday as we collectively groan.

If Marty wins, why is there a "collective groan"?!?  I would understand it if Marty was playing terribly and continued to get starts, but that is not the case here...

Edited by ThreeCups

Can't be so sure. Marty with a decent performance and a win? I could see Debo rolling out Brodeur again Wednesday as we collectively groan.

i would be surprised - one because i think they might be in for a tough game tonight and two because giving schneider 2 games in 2 weeks is not a smart play.

If Marty wins, why is there a "collective groan"?!?  I would understand it if Marty was playing terribly and continued to get starts, but that is not the case here...

because schneider has played more than well enough to at least get 50% of the starts. everyone is waiting for the shoe to drop on marty's performance the last 4 weeks. it hasn't happened yet. but you don't want schneider getting stale either.

I don't get it either. If he's playing well and winning, use him. There's still 50 something games left. Cory will have plenty of games in there as the season wears on.

I don't get it either. If he's playing well and winning, use him. There's still 50 something games left. Cory will have plenty of games in there as the season wears on.

This logic works in the other direction, except one guy is the 41 year old goalie who misses time with an injury most years, and one is a 27 year old goalie who has rarely been injured in his career.

Entirely possible that the best thing for the Devils long-term is that Brodeur gets shelled in one of these games.

This logic works in the other direction, except one guy is the 41 year old goalie who misses time with an injury most years, and one is a 27 year old goalie who has rarely been injured in his career.

Entirely possible that the best thing for the Devils long-term is that Brodeur gets shelled in one of these games.

That's pretty much what I'm saying. Marty isn't going to be able to hold this up all year. Between that and the inevitable tweaked shoulder or bruised knee or whatever, he will miss time.

That's pretty much what I'm saying. Marty isn't going to be able to hold this up all year. Between that and the inevitable tweaked shoulder or bruised knee or whatever, he will miss time.

Why accelerate the process though?  There's no need to play a 41-year old Brodeur in 80-90% of non back-to-back games.

Because Schneider undoubtedly gives the team a better chance to win. 

After his performance against LA, what does it say to play him again?

i would be surprised - one because i think they might be in for a tough game tonight and two because giving schneider 2 games in 2 weeks is not a smart play.

This is Pete we're talking about here.  He loves running his guys into the ground.  It would be ridiculous not to play Schnieder for a week and three or four games since the LA game but I wouldn't put it past Pete at all.  He plays Kovalchuk 26 minutes a night and Gionta with bad ankles, he'll overplay a 41-year old Marty too.

Edited by NJDevs4978

This is Pete we're talking about here.  He loves running his guys into the ground.  It would be ridiculous not to play Schnieder for a week and three or four games since the LA game but I wouldn't put it past Pete at all.  He plays Kovalchuk 26 minutes a night and Gionta with bad ankles, he'll overplay a 41-year old Marty too.

and marty will actually love every second of it too.. hes made it known he doesnt want to be sitting on the bench and the way that pete is he clearly favors his veteran guys