DISCUSSION: General Deadline Thoughts

Weekes Head

• Replies 347
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Since November, interesting that you just arbitrarily select that date.

I'm waiting until we get Kozlov, Hrdina, and Stevens healthy to judge this team. When we played the Lightning, we were without 4 of our top players. But I think Lou's built a good one here, as good as he could've built considering the pieces he had to work with.

Since November, interesting that you just arbitrarily select that date.

I'm waiting until we get Kozlov, Hrdina, and Stevens healthy to judge this team. When we played the Lightning, we were without 4 of our top players. But I think Lou's built a good one here, as good as he could've built considering the pieces he had to work with.

Just curious you seem to be counting on Stevens allot so you must have the timetable for his return could you let me in on it?

Right, and this is proven by what? The team is in 6th with their best defenseman out, coming off Cup hangover. I predicted this team would finish in 6th before the season. It says NOTHING about how they will play in the playoffs, unless you believe they are fatigued.

There's no team that wants to face the Devils and Brodeur, I can tell you that.

Hey Tri, I love how you arbitrarily assume Stevens and Kozlov will one be coming back soon, and two, that they will make this team even incrementally better.....

I disagree wholeheartedly with that statement about no one wanting to face us.....

Every team wants to beat us and Brodeur, we are marked men these days......

Kozlov has begun skating, he'll be back in two weeks. Will he improve the team, maybe not right away. He was acquired for the playoffs, for when we're up against big centers.

It's a poor assumption on my part that a Conn Smythe winning Hall of Fame defenseman, captain of the team, will make the team any better. Silly me.

Those of you who doubt Stevens' will are incredible. He came back from a concussion to play a night later, only to score a goal and be a dominant presence as usual. He'll be back for the playoffs.

Hey Tri, I love how you arbitrarily assume Stevens and Kozlov will one be coming back soon, and two, that they will make this team even incrementally better.....

So you don't think the team is better with Kozlvo and Stevens than without? Come on, thats just being silly. Stevens is close to skating and Kozlov has been skating so I would expect Kozlov to be back in uniform very soon and Stevens by the start of the playoffs just to give him as much time as possible to rest.

-Scott

People seem to forget that the only defensemen who have played well for us this year are Nieds Raffy and White......

People seem to forget that the only defensemen who have played well for us this year are Nieds Raffy and White......

Ya, the defense that has been challenging the lowest goals against ever mark has really struggled for most of this season...

-Scott

Stevens is 39 going on 40.......He makes the team better, but how much better......

His effect is more emotional, and leadership-based.....

I may be underrating his performance effect, but you are far overrating his input into the whole picture......

This team is challenging the goals allowed mark for one reason only:

Brodeur

If you watch the games, youll see how poorly guys like White, Hale, and Brown have played.....

White is especially good for his 4 minute minors......

Ya, the defense that has been challenging the lowest goals against ever mark has really struggled for most of this season...

-Scott

They had a good first half, you cannot deny that our defense has slipped considerably since right before the all star break.

Stevens led the playoffs in +/- last season. He played against Joe Thornton, Martin St. Louis, Marian Hossa, and Paul Kariya, and led the playoffs in +/-.

The Stevens is washed up card has been played for a long time and it hasn't been true since 99. The guy changes the way teams play the Devils. They do not go into Scott Stevens' corner unless they are tough.

When you get your best defenseman back, it means everyone can slide themselves back into their familiar roles. It means everyone will go back to playing where they are accustomed to playing, and where they play best.

Actually Tri, one of the reasons guys like Thornton and Hossa did not fare as well is because of Niedermayer, Nieds speed is an asset, and he was the one who got more of the assignment on those guys.........

-Scott

They had a good first half, you cannot deny that our defense has slipped considerably since right before the all star break.

That really should say they had an amazing first half and a good second half, most of which has been played without Stevens. So I'm not worry at all about a defense that even without Stevens is still good and that with him was amazing. I won't ignore the majority of the season just because recent play hasn't been as spectacular.

-Scott

Hossa did play some against Niedermayer, but Thornton absolutely was matched up with Stevens. Either way, Stevens played against Alfredsson or Hossa.

I mean, when you look for the Devils to get a guy like Witt or Carney at the deadline, you're going to be disappointed. Lou never does that. Last time he did that was when he got Chambers. Guys he trades for always play on the 3rd pairing.

Tri, youre right, I am disappointed.......I really firmly believe the odds are against us this year.......I hope Im wrong, trust me I do, but I dont like the odds

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.