Fire Oates

ZeroGravityFat

Do you really think this is Oates' fault? Guys like Elias, Parise, Kovalchuk, Zubrus, Sykora, and so on need to be taught how to perform on the power play? Give me a break. Lou wouldn't have kept him with the new coaching change if he wasn't an asset. He can only teach these guys so much. Our power play is embarrassing because our team treats it like they are getting root canal.

Do you really think this is Oates' fault? Guys like Elias, Parise, Kovalchuk, Zubrus, Sykora, and so on need to be taught how to perform on the power play? Give me a break. Lou wouldn't have kept him with the new coaching change if he wasn't an asset. He can only teach these guys so much. Our power play is embarrassing because our team treats it like they are getting root canal.

it's not a fault thing, it's like what i said, if players are not responding, coach change is necessary. i'm sure we can try a handful of people if we felt like it on a trial basis from within the organization or bring someone new in from minors or other leagues.

it's not a fault thing, it's like what i said, if players are not responding, coach change is necessary. i'm sure we can try a handful of people if we felt like it on a trial basis from within the organization or bring someone new in from minors or other leagues.

I'm sorry but if this is YET ANOTHER coach that this coach killing team isn't responding to, then the bulk of the blame gets directed at Lou.

The last time the Devils performed well offensively? Sutter. He wasn't a players coach because he actually made them accountable and made them a tough team to play against.

Name me one instance where an assistant was replaced in-season without the head coach getting canned or other extenuating circumstances? (Cunniff getting cancer). It just doesn't happen in the NHL.

Have any of you guys ever seen the Devils practice their PP ?? just wondering if its even poss with Lou and his secret ways.

But I wonder if they start practicing in the offensive zone right away,

because they cant even breakout with 1 forchecker on them, and getting into the offensive zone is next to impossible for them.

Name me one instance where an assistant was replaced in-season without the head coach getting canned or other extenuating circumstances? (Cunniff getting cancer). It just doesn't happen in the NHL.

Because ultimately, in coaching, it's the responsibility of the head coach...

When coaches get fired, the new coach evalualtes his assistants, or brings in his own, etc.

In Montreal earlier this year

Good call. Forgot about that.

http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/7153547/struggling-montreal-canadiens-fire-assistant-coach-perry-pearn

Canadiens GM Pierre Gauthier said in a statement that he had offered a different role with the team to Pearn, who was responsible for running the team's power play. Montreal, which is off to its worst start in 70 years, is 3 for 32 with the man advantage.

If he was fired for the sake of PP proficiency, it seems to have worked:

PP with Pearn: 3-for-32 (.094)

PP w/out Pearn: 6-for-27 (.222)

PP on the season: 9-for-59 (.153)

Our FO win % is 46.9% right now. That places us 29th out of 30 teams this season.

To be fair, we were 9th last season, and that was with our dreadful record and Elias switching to center. Prior to Oates' arrival, Zajac won draws as 46.9%, 51.2%, 53.1% and 52.9% clips. Last year with Oates? He won 55.3%.

Zajac is out. Steckel is gone. Elias has taken almost twice as many draws as anyone else on the team, and he's brutal. I don't care if you have Oates, Nieuwendyk, Brind'Amour and Stan friggin Mikita giving lessons ... with breaks like that, you're not gonna have a good year at the dot.

Edited by DaneykoIsGod

I think its as easy as taking kovalchuk off the point. You can't do that tl zajac comes back though because no other forward is good at the point but zajac. At least for now take kovalchuk off for the full 2 minutes. He's a defensive liability and every team knows the puck is going to him. Look at the penlaty kills againt us. They have two guys pressuring each pointman, its crazy. Larsson is also terribe on the point. He is probably our slowest skater, so even if he's in position he loses every foot race and then it becomes a breakaway. Kovalchuk-greene and larsson-fayne or tallinder-fayne for the points for now. Then just replace kovalchuk with zajac and put kovie on the boards where he should be.

I think its as easy as taking kovalchuk off the point. You can't do that tl zajac comes back though because no other forward is good at the point but zajac. At least for now take kovalchuk off for the full 2 minutes. He's a defensive liability and every team knows the puck is going to him. Look at the penlaty kills againt us. They have two guys pressuring each pointman, its crazy. Larsson is also terribe on the point. He is probably our slowest skater, so even if he's in position he loses every foot race and then it becomes a breakaway. Kovalchuk-greene and larsson-fayne or tallinder-fayne for the points for now. Then just replace kovalchuk with zajac and put kovie on the boards where he should be.

Disagree, Kovy is fine. The main problem I see is zone entry. Elias hasnt been doing a good job getting into the zone, neither has Henrique on the second unit. I prefer to see Zubrus carry it. Hes a decent stick handler and worst case scenario, he's hard on the forecheck