Ye Olde Goal Horn, CAA-style

Colorado Rockies 1976

I'll post this here since I don't really think it warrants a thread:

Who is in charge of the pregame outdoor festivities in Championship Plaza? Because someone needs to tell the DJ to turn down the freaking volume on the speakers. Don't get me wrong, I'm an old heavy metalhead, so I can appreciate loud music, but Holy Crap yesterday the music pumping out of those speakers was so loud my ears were practically bleeding! And I don't think I'm the only one who was bothered by it because the whole center of the plaza was empty. Why? Because the damn speakers were set up right there! To whomever is in charge of that: Please, please please lower the damn volume next time! I don't need to hear Bruce Springsteen blasted at ungodly decibels!

Edited by 95Crash

I'll use this thread as an opportunity to step on the soapbox once again, but let's make a deal. Bring back the old goal horn, once people stop the You Suck chant. Notice how we haven't gotten out of the first round since that nonsense started.

Rant over.

Bring back the old horn....along with the o'lays. Man do I miss the o'lays. :unsure:

I sent it to mgmt@newjerseydevils.com

Cool, I will definitely send them something.

Ole sucks, sucked, and always will suck.

This isn't soccer, keep that sh!tty chant out of our arena. Let the moronic habs fans keep it

Ah dont be a debbie downer. It has been one of the best chants we have had, especially compared to a chant that makes us look like we are illiterate when we are down by 3 goals.

Ah dont be a debbie downer. It has been one of the best chants we have had, especially compared to a chant that makes us look like we are illiterate when we are down by 3 goals.

I don't see how Jets fans chant stupid sh!t like "Crosby's better!" when there team has neither player and get all the love for it, but half our own fanbase hates on itself for yelling "you suck!" It's the year 2012! Saying you suck to someone is borderline innocent and playful. It's not like we're chanting fvck you! We don't always have to be so politically correct and I'm pretty sure other teams know it's in good fun.

Bring back the old goal horn, once people stop the You Suck chant. Notice how we haven't gotten out of the first round since that nonsense started.

Not true. The "You Suck" chant really took off during the playoff series against the Rangers in 2006. I'd say that series ended pretty well. I was in section 217 that whole season.

Ole sucks, sucked, and always will suck.

This isn't soccer, keep that sh!tty chant out of our arena. Let the moronic habs fans keep it

Notice how we haven't gotten out of the first round since we said "Ole" sucked? So much insecurity in our fanbase.

:giggle:

Just got a response from the Devils.

As usual, generic and not addressing my e-mail lol.

Mr. Timoni:

Thanks very much for taking the time to write and provide your input. It is always a pleasure to hear from the Devils Army!

Thanks,

Rich Krezwick

Just got a response from the Devils.

As usual, generic and not addressing my e-mail lol.

Mr. Timoni:

Thanks very much for taking the time to write and provide your input. It is always a pleasure to hear from the Devils Army!

Thanks,

Rich Krezwick

Weak. Very disappointing.

Sounds like not too many people were chanting it and just really the people around him. Since it is near 228 where the Crazies used to sit there, I wouldn't be surprised if they had a hand in either starting it or popularizing it.

Either way, the "you suck" chant is lame and silly and reeks of insecurity. I would love for that and the "Rangers suck, Flyers swallow" chant to end immediately.

Either way, the "you suck" chant is lame and silly and reeks of insecurity. I would love for that and the "Rangers suck, Flyers swallow" chant to end immediately.

To me, every excuse I've heard against "You Suck" reaks of insecurity. And I'd love for this stupid debate to end, and for people to just support the team in their own way and stop bickering over something that hurts absolutely no one. It's already derailed yet another perfectly good thread (and was derailed by the anti-You Suck crowd, FWIW :evil: ).

To each their own.

Also, I love the old horn, but the new one has grown on me. It took a while, but I've heard it enough now that it no longer sounds foreign. I'm actually ashamed to say I didn't even notice that they were using the old one on Saturday. I was probably too caught up in the Bob Arsena nostalgia and watching a grown man in a blue Malkin jersey talk sh!t with a 7-year-old two rows in front of him.

To me, every excuse I've heard against "You Suck" reaks of insecurity. And I'd love for this stupid debate to end, and for people to just support the team in their own way and stop bickering over something that hurts absolutely no one. It's already derailed yet another perfectly good thread (and was derailed by the anti-You Suck crowd, FWIW :evil: ).

To each their own.

Also, I love the old horn, but the new one has grown on me. It took a while, but I've heard it enough now that it no longer sounds foreign. I'm actually ashamed to say I didn't even notice that they were using the old one on Saturday. I was probably too caught up in the Bob Arsena nostalgia and watching a grown man in a blue Malkin jersey talk sh!t with a 7-year-old two rows in front of him.

I do support the team in my own way by not doing the "hey you suck" chant. However, when our fans get all butthurt over every little mention about how we are unoriginal and insecure, there are reasons why we get called that. The "hey you suck" chant is one of many. The chant itself is pretty new and started when we stopped being a consistent Cup contender. I guess we need something else to make our fans feel better about themselves.

I pointed out in another thread about a month ago things that this team does that is minor league. This is one that the fans do that is minor league.

Edited by DevsMan84

To each their own.

Well, thanks for trying to at least get this back on topic.

Sounds like not too many people were chanting it and just really the people around him. Since it is near 228 where the Crazies used to sit there, I wouldn't be surprised if they had a hand in either starting it or popularizing it.

the "you suck" is debate-able, I'll grant you that it is getting old. but I'll always like the crowd trolling the Philly and Rangers fanbases with "suck and swallow". and if not with that, then something else. I just think it's funny to provoke them since they do their darnedest to provoke us. Their fanbases are no saints themselves. so what if we "stoop to their level?" then we get the distinction of being the fanbase that gets called the 'goody-two shoes' fanbase for not engaging in it...

eh, either way, it is what it is, and it'll take a huge effort to get people to change

To each their own.

This as well. It doesn't hurt anyone, except the overly sensitive parents that bring little kids to a game and expect a rated-G experience. For crying out loud, most real sports are violent displays - they're HITTING people! So why would it matter if there's a little swearing or 'lewd' language floating around. True, people shouldn't swear like sailors with the F-bomb being every other word out of their mouth, but parents can't expect a manners convention at a public sporting event. It just doesn't happen with real people. That being said, it's stupid to say that it's childish or degrading to our fanbase. Other fanbases do it and they aren't getting crap for it. Sure there are some who in the crowd who think they're "better than that"

OK, fine, if you don't approve of it, no one is asking you to. Just abstain. All it is, is a rallying cry against an opposing team (which often imply lewd meanings or smack talk in lieu of 'yo mama' references) so I'll participate once in a while but whatever. I personally hate it when lets say the ref makes a call 90% of the crowd disagrees with and where there are a lot of boos, people yell out "hey ref you ****ing idiot, get some glasses" or similar things, and I get some parent a few rows/seats away giving me a dirty look cause I had the audacity to say swear. So what? your kids probably already know every one in the book by the time you would bring them to a game. Just remind them they shouldn't copy what they see if you don't want them to repeat it.

This debate is tired and old. It all boils down to if you don't like it, don't go to a game, or just ignore it and don't participate. who really cares, and if people want to think it's degratory to the ffanbase's reputation then that's your right to believe that. I just don't

the "you suck" is debate-able, I'll grant you that it is getting old. but I'll always like the crowd trolling the Philly and Rangers fanbases with "suck and swallow". and if not with that, then something else. I just think it's funny to provoke them since they do their darnedest to provoke us. Their fanbases are no saints themselves. so what if we "stoop to their level?" then we get the distinction of being the fanbase that gets called the 'goody-two shoes' fanbase for not engaging in it...

eh, either way, it is what it is, and it'll take a huge effort to get people to change

This as well. It doesn't hurt anyone, except the overly sensitive parents that bring little kids to a game and expect a rated-G experience. For crying out loud, most real sports are violent displays - they're HITTING people! So why would it matter if there's a little swearing or 'lewd' language floating around. True, people shouldn't swear like sailors with the F-bomb being every other word out of their mouth, but parents can't expect a manners convention at a public sporting event. It just doesn't happen with real people. That being said, it's stupid to say that it's childish or degrading to our fanbase. Other fanbases do it and they aren't getting crap for it. Sure there are some who in the crowd who think they're "better than that"

OK, fine, if you don't approve of it, no one is asking you to. Just abstain. All it is, is a rallying cry against an opposing team (which often imply lewd meanings or smack talk in lieu of 'yo mama' references) so I'll participate once in a while but whatever. I personally hate it when lets say the ref makes a call 90% of the crowd disagrees with and where there are a lot of boos, people yell out "hey ref you ****ing idiot, get some glasses" or similar things, and I get some parent a few rows/seats away giving me a dirty look cause I had the audacity to say swear. So what? your kids probably already know every one in the book by the time you would bring them to a game. Just remind them they shouldn't copy what they see if you don't want them to repeat it.

This debate is tired and old. It all boils down to if you don't like it, don't go to a game, or just ignore it and don't participate. who really cares, and if people want to think it's degratory to the ffanbase's reputation then that's your right to believe that. I just don't

I am not trying to compare our fanbase with theirs, just our fanbase in general.

If you really want to troll Rags fans, whenever we score just start chanting their goal song. That really sets them off every time.

Anyways back to the goal horn, I say switch to the old one. A large majority of my memories of goals include that goal horn, so I am all in favor of switching back.