Random Thoughts & Stuff

sammyk

• 3 weeks later...

I'm serial watching old Poirots on netflix.   He's so tidy.  it drives me insane.  In a crazy happy way.  He's better than Monk.

These are my new glasses - not sure this will work:

771d949b78e9cd3c387dcc33d9c24033.jpg

now who wears this stuff... well, me I guess.  I just find the whole arms thing a pain in the ass - they give me headaches too. 

Edited by Pepperkorn

Pince nez. They rest on your nose. I can hold them by the little metal loop there and gesticulate too! They are just too much fun. I'll post someone wearing them when I'm back online. Not on the phone

Here is the pic of Poirot's ^_^

7c014bcc86445e45ab003752deaccdd8.jpg

Edited by Pepperkorn

I hauled out my fountain pen too. and I just ordered a rocker blotter so I can use it more often at work. I thought I'd get my daughter a pen for graduating 4th grade - these suckers are PRICEY now!! My parents got it for me when I moved into Manhattan and supported myself (I didn't do the college thing so EVERYONE was getting their little graduation presents from relatives and I got DIDDLY! :angry: I was working already yeesh - but :saddevil: I was asked not to go into the theataah sooo I guess that was my punishment -- I got nice bouquets on opening night <_<:P -- anyhow my dad got me the pen years ago :-) I love that crap. INSANE love -- obviously -- I just bought a flippin' rocker blotter :doh1:

what IS wrong with me... seriously DM had to yell at me about the vacuum cleaner bags on Facebook -- it didn't even occur to me no one uses them now. I just went INSANE looking for a bagged vacuum and still - duhhhhh... ( I HATE my baggless - it's filthy filthy filthy and you still have to wash/change filters so it's not any more convenient or cost conscious).

Oh -- and I love Miss Marple because she says insane random things and WE know it makes perfect sense but no one else in the story gets it - **sigh**

I checked and found Agatha Christie was a Virgo -- it all makes sense to me!

(Yes -- it's a Starbucks thre.. four cups of coffee day)

Edited by Pepperkorn

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

HI!  I just got back from Kentucky.  We missed you!  Where are you now?  Any kids on the way yet? :uni:

I can talk up Bourbon a storm now!  All whisky too of course.  My Bro-in-law had his choice of Bourbon and of course he took my beloved $22 gallon jug of Very Old Barton only available in KY.  He filled up some of an empty Scotch bottle we had so I'd have some on hand (good Bro-in-law)-- didn't even put a dent in the jug!!

OK post something funny now.... no pressure... Hey, any wedding pix to post?  Not that that's funny per se.. ehem... mmm... nevermind  :evil:

HI!  I just got back from Kentucky.  We missed you!  Where are you now?  Any kids on the way yet? :uni:

I can talk up Bourbon a storm now!  All whisky too of course.  My Bro-in-law had his choice of Bourbon and of course he took my beloved $22 gallon jug of Very Old Barton only available in KY.  He filled up some of an empty Scotch bottle we had so I'd have some on hand (good Bro-in-law)-- didn't even put a dent in the jug!!

OK post something funny now.... no pressure... Hey, any wedding pix to post?  Not that that's funny per se.. ehem... mmm... nevermind  :evil:

Something funny. HA! Get it?

Back from Kentucky? I'm super jealous. Can I come over and to help you out with your Scotch bottle filled with bourbon?

No kids yet. Trying to lock down our next home first (the current apartment is WAY too small), and being a furloughed federal employee losing 20% of my pay with potential layoffs looming next year is kinda putting a damper on that. Oh, and we're still down in Maryland. The good old Land of Pleasant Living.

Here's a quick wedding pic of us leaving the ceremony (which was in Jersey, of course):

photo.jpg

Wakka wakka.

:rofl:  something.. :rofl:  fff..fffunny!  Ahhh  yer killin' me!  :rofl:

:mellow:

I love the pic!  Great suit - I love the vest.  Of course the ol' ball-n-chain looks great.   I honestly like her dress a lot - action shot and it's flowing perfectly.

I am way too into Bourbon now.  We toured Buffalo Trace and Heaven Hill distilleries.  Buffalo Trace was my favorite - it's very historical and charming.

We're toying with the idea of moving out there.  It's kind of an option -- and it's very tempting.  It felt like going back in time -- not so much ages, just like the 70s when there weren't so many angry people trying to get their piece of the pie as there is today.  Out here, there is such invented urgency.  Luxury is seen as necessity. I love it here, but we seem to have lost sight of the score in keeping our eye so much on the puck. (Notice how I said puck instead of ball -- because it's a hockey forum - staying on topic as it were :uni: )  I WILL be lobbying for Louisville to get an NHL team if we do make the move though  :evil:

Any more bourbon tips? I figure there are can't miss big names like Knob Creek, Jim Beam Black, and Maker's Mark (which I'm working on now), but I'm definitely also interested in sampling the lesser-knowns. Had a bottle of Bulleit earlier this summer and loved it, especially how the extra rye changed the character of it. Though I've been sticking more to the Irish stuff in the summer months ... something about Irish whiskey just tastes more refreshing on a hot day than bourbon or Scotch. Slainte, bitches!

I went on a cross country trip like 10 years ago that included a stop in Memphis. We wanted to go to Lynchburg for the Jack Daniels, but once we heard it was a dry county and there were no free samples on the tour, we decided they could shove it. Stayed in town and got blasted on Beale Street instead. Awesome decision.

Four Roses single barrel (not small batch or any other Four Roses) -- little high in rye but it just serves to improve the flavor - pick it up - should be around $34

Do NOT waste money on Colonel Taylor (it's in a fancy tube like a single malt).  We got it for $50 - here it's $100 and it's just not worth it.  It's OK for $50 but the Four Roses was better.  The $22 jug of Very Old Barton 90 proof was waaay better -- but the gas money to get it in KY kind of ruins the value.  :smilegah:

I like the Elmer T Lee - the guys call it a woman's bourbon <_< .  It smells like a glazed doughnut and has a sweeter flavor to it. It could make a mean mint Julep - not sure I want to spoil it with mint though.

Isn't it weird that there are dry counties here and there in American whisky country?  I guess they dont want to spoil the moonshine market laugh5.gif

Makers 46 is just fantastic - didn't go to their distillery but it's just a classic.

oh and our house bourbon Bulleit - when we put it in with our at home taste test was surprisingly thin.  Tasty but thinner than the others. Their rye now... that is fantastic!  We'll save Rye for another post :evil:

Edited by Pepperkorn

Very Old Barton was on my short list of bourbons to try, thanks for the tips on Four Roses, Maker's 46, and Elmer T. Lee. Who knows, if Lee really is that sweet, maybe it could entice the wife to try something more than a hesitant, forced, wincing sip, followed by hacking coughs and immediate regret.

Saw a Bulleit 10-year bourbon last time I was at the store. If I ever have money again, I might have to pick that up.