Luongo's 12-year contract deal now under investigation

CMONPETEYD

http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/Luongo+year+contract+deal+under+investigation/3378778/story.html

"The apparent purpose of this evidence is to suggest that the League's concern is late blooming and/or inconsistent. Several responses are in order: First, while the contracts have, in fact, been registered, their structure has not escaped League notice: those SPCs [standard player's contracts] are being investigated currently with at least the possibility of a subsequent withdrawal of the registration."

Canuck general manager Mike Gillis confirmed in an email to the Vancouver Sun Monday night that the league is indeed studying Luongo's 12-year, $64 million contract.

"We have complied with the NHL request for information and are awaiting further instructions," Gillis said. "Cannot say anything further at this point."

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is why Bettman is a joke. Go back to basketball!!!

Just to save face he is going to have the league "review" Luongo's contract after it's been registered. Seriously what legal grounds do they have if they did find something wrong (which they wont unless he wants to have a player walkout on his stellar resume as well) within Luongo's contract. The NHL REGISTERED it. Now they want to go back and say...well we need to review it again to make sure everything is A-OK after we originally said yeah we looked it over, its all good.

Obviously we now see that the NHL...the game we love is run by a bunch of corporate baboons.

This is a joke and Bettman is a fool.

Do NOT insult my intelligence with this crap.

They've got to make this look like it's all above board and they have to say that they have to make sure these bloody contracts are legit, when they've been registered and approved in the past.

Absolutely NOTHING is going to happen to Luoungo's, Hossa's, and Pronger's, and Keith's contracts and they know it.

The NHL has been exposed and it's not pretty.

Kovalchuk and the Devils were the ones to take the fall and I feel sorry for the organization.

It's going to be fun watching what happens when the next CBA fight comes up.

I'll say more about this later.

:soap:

Edited by IceThief

Blackhawk's cup should be stripped following Bloch's award.

42 vs 43

93.6% vs 96%

CBA outlines that any games where the player in question played could be forfeited, so I fully expect (if the League wants to make more of a joke of themselves yet be fair and consistent), that there will be no Stanley Cup winner for the 2009-2010 season.

So you're like half the people on the forum now. If this whole thing turns you off from being an NHL fan, you probably weren't much of a fan to begin with.

I've been a fan of hockey since I was 7... I'm 37 now. However, the increasing contract sizes (and commensurate ticket prices), the way cities have been held hostage to build new stadiums with our tax dollars (meaning we pay twice btw and with the economy in the sh!tter most of these stadiums are still on the books!), the hockey lockout, Bettman's gutting of hockey tradition and moving teams away from Canada and the northern USA, etc. has eroded my love of the NHL per se. I'm still a Devils fan, and I was a Devils fan even before there really was a Devils (read my bio), but don't tell me that having said "enough is enough" makes me less of a fan. Just because you're the sort of fan who apparently doesn't mind repeatedly being shafted, does this mean you are a better fan or something?

As an aside, I'm not saying that hockey is the only sport guilty of these excesses--absolutely not. What pisses me off and makes me literally hate Buttman is that the NHL, once upon a time, was the only major sport that committed few, if any, of these let's call them 'sports sins'. That day is gone now. Thanks Gary. Go away Gary.

Blackhawk's cup should be stripped following Bloch's award.

42 vs 43

93.6% vs 96%

CBA outlines that any games where the player in question played could be forfeited, so I fully expect (if the League wants to make more of a joke of themselves yet be fair and consistent), that there will be no Stanley Cup winner for the 2009-2010 season.

Actually, if the game is forfeited wouldn't all of the 'hawks games be forfeited to the Flyers? I think that would give the cup.... to..... Philly.... ewwwweeeeee......

Actually, if the game is forfeited wouldn't all of the 'hawks games be forfeited to the Flyers? I think that would give the cup.... to..... Philly.... ewwwweeeeee......

But then Pronger's deal would also be found in violation.. Maybe we should just award the Cup to Edmonton :giggle:

Who made the decision to investigate this contract? Was it actually Bettman?

Irrelevant imo. Bettman had to okay the decision to investigate, assuming it wasn't his call do to so in the first place. He's always going to have the target on his back from this event

Irrelevant imo. Bettman had to okay the decision to investigate, assuming it wasn't his call do to so in the first place. He's always going to have the target on his back from this event

I'm not saying that you're wrong, but is this officially stated somewhere?

I'm not saying that you're wrong, but is this officially stated somewhere?

Hmm...fair enough, I always assumed that as the 'top dog', he'd have to sign off on it. I could be wrong. You know what they say about assuming :noclue:

Edited by Devsfan118

Hmm...fair enough, I always assumed that as the 'top dog', he'd have to sign off on it. I could be wrong. You know what they say about assuming :noclue:

That's why I'm hesitant to call Bettman the scapegoat for this whole thing; I don't know how much he actually had to do with it.

Edited by devils26