2012 Jets Thread

Beezer34

You are really blowing up Sanchez's first two seasons to be much more than they were. The best thing that can be said about him is that he played very well in the playoffs...some of the best and most mistake-free football of his career, really. But his regular season numbers for both of those seasons were pretty dismal. He got off to a great start in season #2 (7 TD, 0 INT through five games), then threw for 10 TD and 13 INT the rest of the way. For his first two seasons, he threw for 29 TD, 33 INT, lousy completion percentages, and pretty low passing yard totals for each season...like I said, he did play much better come playoff time, but it was the Jets' D that carried that team into the playoffs both seasons. You're giving Sanchez more credit than he really deserves.

It's those playoff performances I think help his cause as to his future more than anything else. '7' is right, in that though his franchise did nothing to make his life easier this season, he deserves blame too...he's made his fair share of mistakes on the field.

Pretty much agreed with everything you said, although I think the poison pill of a $17 million cap hit if the Jets do get rid of him influences him getting another chance next year as much as or more than the playoff games.

Beezer likes to bring up the 30+ TD's from last year (and gloss over the 15, 20 and 13 in his other seasons), but he doesn't bring up the 26 turnovers in that same season either. And that was before the Jets' receivers were XFL-caliber like they were this year. Like 7 said, better receivers are 'not' going to make Sanchez less mistake-prone. He has 87 turnovers in his four-year career, and he's 26 years old. How long does he get to average 22 turnovers a season with a 55% completion percentage?

Kerley's DROP on 3rd down in the 4th quarter against Houston, would've not only sustained the drive, it would've set us up for 1st and goal. WE WIN THAT GAME if he makes that catch. -but it's Sanchez's fault.

Hill's DROP in the OT loss @ NE, resulted in us having to give the ball back to the Patriots instead of running out the clock. WE WIN THAT GAME if he makes that catch. -but it's Sanchez's fault.

Cumberland's DROP in the endzone against the Titans gave us a FG instead of a TD, in a game we lost by 4 points. WE WIN THAT GAME if he makes that catch. -but it's Sanchez's fault.

Most of this is conjecture. How do you know we would have scored on first and goal in the Houston game? We've been dreadful in the red zone all year. Even if we had scored, it's not an automatic the defense holds the lead.

They probably win the New England game if Hill catches the ball, yes but they lost the Titans game BECAUSE OF Sanchez making four stupid, idiotic throws. Funny how the drop's always a bigger deal than the INT in your book. The Cumberland drop was costly but it was what, the second quarter? You can't say the game would have played out the same way if he had caught the ball. I'd say four INT's are a lot more costly than one drop.

Edited by NJDevs4978

Beezer likes to bring up the 30+ TD's from last year (and gloss over the 15, 20 and 13 in his other seasons), but he doesn't bring up the 26 turnovers in that same season either.

beezers bound to sanchez because he hates being proved wrong. im of 2 minds bout this. in one breath i feel for sanchez, in the next i dont view him as a championship qb. he had his moments but a superbowl is out of the q.

Beezer is right about the drops...seems our receivers drop an inordinate amount of easy ones. Stephen Hill in particular must've gone through a stretch where he dropped like 5 in a row.

But it goes both ways as well. Sanchez has hit opposing teams corners, safeties, and LB's plenty of times in the hands only to end up as drops.

But it goes both ways as well. Sanchez has hit opposing teams corners, safeties, and LB's plenty of times in the hands only to end up as drops.

The last thing I am going to impart regarding the detrioration of Sanchez play this year and his forced mistakes, if I may quote the Boss:

"You end up like a dog that's been beat too much, till you spend half your life just covering up"

Sanchez again with a piss poor game. Horrific interception for the pick 6 (the fvck he didn't see the defender just SITTING THERE?) and a bad fumble when he held the ball too long. Overthrows...underthrows, missing open guys.

Par the course for Mark

Sanchez again with a piss poor game. Horrific interception for the pick 6 (the fvck he didn't see the defender just SITTING THERE?) and a bad fumble when he held the ball too long. Overthrows...underthrows, missing open guys.

Par the course for Mark

If Sanchez remains with the Jets, the franchise is almost going to have to start completely over with him, and build him back up. He needs a QB guru. He has to have no confidence at this point.

You are really blowing up Sanchez's first two seasons to be much more than they were.

Beezer likes to bring up the 30+ TD's from last year and gloss over the 15, 20 and 13 in his other seasons.

Rivers has regressed due to lack of weapons, Roethlisberger due to a new OC. The Giants probably missed the playoffs this year because of the up and down play of Manning. Regression is variable in the NFL. It doesn't necessary mean a death sentence to the point where you can't be salvaged. I don't think Sanchez is that far gone. I believe if the team builds him up this offseason, his confidence can be brought back.

..and I don't marvel at his average numbers either. 80 TD's and 12,000 yrds in 4 years are just that... average. But Greene's 16 TD's and 3,000 yrds over his last 3 years, are also.. average. Like Manta said.. if you take away Rice from Flacco, is he even halfway decent? You can't have it both ways. If you want to give Sanchez below average receiving weapons, then you need to have a MJD in the backfield. If you're satisfied with an average RB in Greene, then you need to put your hand in your pocket and buy some WR's for Sanchez.

What I marvel at with Mark, is that in 4 years, my quarterback has played 62 regular season games, out of a possible 65. One legitimate game missed due to injury in 4 seasons, where Kellen Clemens played. The other 2 were healthy scratches.. one for McElroy this season, and one for Brunell the last week of the 11-5 year to rest Sanchez for the playoffs in a meaningless game. He's still young at 26.. he never gets injured.. and most of all, HE WANTS TO BE HERE! Despite all the scrutiny, all the blame being thrown his way. The fact that he leads the NFL in playing with 22 different WR's since 2009. Or that he'll be learning from his 3rd different OC in the coming season, 4th if you count Tom Moore. Coming in after Brett Favre.. sitting like a duck as the team tried to acquire Peyton Manning.. and now playing with Tim Tebow behind him. Everything and anything this organization has done to try and fvck him.. despite it all, he still wants to play for my team.

beezers bound to sanchez because he hates being proved wrong.

Vinny Testaverde played 7 seasons with Gang Green. Including regular season & post-season play, he won 36 games for the Jets throughout his tenure in NY, and took the team to the AFC Championship in the 1998-1999 season. Richard Todd also took the Jets to an AFC Championship, and won a total of 49 games over the 9 seasons he played in NY. The Ken O'Brien era is when I became a fan nearly 30 years ago. He played 10 seasons with the Jets, voted to 2 ProBowls during the span.. yet won only 48 games during his stay with the green and white. Chad Pennington in 8 seasons won a total 34 games as a starter for the Jets. -again, including playoff victories.

Boomer Esiason, Tim Tebow, and Brett Favre COMBINE for 24 victories while with the Jets in 6 years.. you getting a hint where I'm going with this?

Including regular-season & postseason.. had the Jets won on Sunday, it would've accounted as the 40th victory in 4 seasons under the Rex\Sanchez era. They have made the playoffs 2 out of 4 years, played in 2 Championship games, and have respectfully ranked 1st.. 3rd.. 5th.. and 7th in defense since 2009.

In laymans terms: I am "bound" by this administration, because it has been the most successful QB\HC combo that this franchise has seen since Parcells\Testaverde 15 years ago. Has it been a perfect tenure? -no. But notwithstanding, I'd rather stick to the plan that has actually shown signs of success.. rather than roll the dice again the way this organization has done since 1969. I've never had the pleasure of seeing a Belichick\Brady, or Eli\Coughlin combo as a Jets fan to warrant any thought process that I should long for something more. The team has played poorly in 2011 & 2012, no disputing that. Yet, I think there's a grey area between content vs lost-hope. A 14-18 record over the last 2 seasons shouldn't put people in immediate panic mode, given the circumstances at hand. Poor UFA signings, not retaining key FA, lousy drafting, excessive injuries, etc.. these things happen, and they are without question setbacks. However, should you begin to "blow it all up" if you're Woody Johnson?

I have no problem eating crow when I'm wrong. I was dead wrong about Tebow and the Wildcat. No problem openly admitting that. I need one more season with Sanchez where the team actually tries to build around him before I throw in the towel.

Edited by Beezer34

Beez, you're making too much of the won-lost record with Sanchez. Sanchez did go 18-12 in his first two regular seasons combined (Jets won the other two games where Sanchez didn't really play), but it's obvious from his numbers that the defense had a lot more to with that than Sanchez...the QB play overall from Sanchez in those two seasons was simply not good. As far as the regular season goes, one can argue Sanchez was probably holding the Jets back a bit...his QB play those seasons wasn't even average.

Playoffs were a different story for sure, and like I've said, I think that's why you give both Sanchez AND Ryan one more year to figure this thing out. Sanchez's contract is an issue too.

The Jets definitely got rid of the right guy in Tannenbaum.

• 2 weeks later...

Appearing on FOX NFL Sunday, Jay Glazer said the Jets "can't give the position away" when talking about their general manager vacancy.

"They're calling back candidates who already turned them down," added Glazer. "Their cap situation, personnel, QB and the circus turned a lot of candidates off." One of those candidates could be 49ers director of player personnel Tom Gamble, who was once considered the odds-on-favorite for the job but may have spurned the Jets. ESPN's Adam Schefter mentioned earlier on Sunday that ex-Bears GM Jerry Angelo is a "name to watch."

The Jacksonville Jaguars made it clear Thursday that they have no plans to pursue the popular and polarizing New York Jets backup quarterback Tim Tebow.

The Jets are likely to release the 2007 Heisman Trophy winner and Jacksonville native during the offseason, and many believed Tebow would land with the Jaguars.

But new general manager David Caldwell nixed that idea at his introductory news conference.

''I can't imagine a scenario in which he'll be a Jacksonville Jaguar - even if he's released,'' Caldwell said.