125 replies to this topic

#81 Colin226

Colin226

Hall of Famer

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,210 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 12:09 PM

Home opener has been announced.. Why do we seem to open against the Flyers every other year?

@TGfireandice: Devils to post Flyers in home opener Jan. 22: The Devils will host the Philadelphia Flyers for their home opene... http://t.co/epKjUmsi

Edited by Colin226, 11 January 2013 - 12:10 PM.

Season Ticket Holder since '08 - '09
Section 226 - Row 2 - Seats 15 and 16

devildance.gifdevildance.gifdevildance.gifdevildance.gifdevildance.gifdevildance.gifdevildance.gif

#82 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,258 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 12:30 PM

Why are people both on here, Twitter and on FB keep saying we are raising the ECF banner on our first home game!? Devils never have done that before for a Conference Champs banner and never will.

We will all just walk into the arena and it will already be hanging there. Nothing more.

#83 Colin226

Colin226

Hall of Famer

• Contributor
  • 6,210 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 12:46 PM

Why are people both on here, Twitter and on FB keep saying we are raising the ECF banner on our first home game!? Devils never have done that before for a Conference Champs banner and never will.

We will all just walk into the arena and it will already be hanging there. Nothing more.

I get the whole "Cups are our #1 goal, nothing less" attitude but come on, winning the EC is hard as hell.. This may not happen again in the next 15 years (or ever).. It was such an amazing run that I feel it's stupid to act like all is forgotten now that there's a new season.. It doesn't have to be a long, drawn out ceremony, but I think there should be one to acknowledge a great accomplishment

devildance.gifdevildance.gifdevildance.gifdevildance.gifdevildance.gifdevildance.gifdevildance.gif

#84 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,258 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 12:50 PM

I get the whole "Cups are our #1 goal, nothing less" attitude but come on, winning the EC is hard as hell.. This may not happen again in the next 15 years (or ever).. It was such an amazing run that I feel it's stupid to act like all is forgotten now that there's a new season.. It doesn't have to be a long, drawn out ceremony, but I think there should be one to acknowledge a great accomplishment

Yeah but I really don't know another franchise that has already won at least 1 Cup that has a ceremony to raise an EC banner. Teams that raise that sort of banner usually have never won the Cup so this is the best they have and understandable. I just feel if we raise this in even a small ceremony it will look bush-league.

#85 pattyelias

pattyelias

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,902 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 12:56 PM

If the Rangers won the ECF and lost in the SCF last year you know they would have the whole 1994 team out there for a banner raising.

#86 Colin226

Colin226

Hall of Famer

• Contributor
  • 6,210 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 01:08 PM

Yeah but I really don't know another franchise that has already won at least 1 Cup that has a ceremony to raise an EC banner. Teams that raise that sort of banner usually have never won the Cup so this is the best they have and understandable. I just feel if we raise this in even a small ceremony it will look bush-league.

Flyers and Canucks did it the last 2 years.. I see what you're saying but I guess I just disagree.. We'll see, Lou's a hard ass with this stuff so I'm not expecting anything

#87 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,185 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 01:08 PM

fvck the NHL. Can we have a home opener to truly enjoy for once?

09-10 home opener opponent - FLYERS...halloween colors in our building

11-12 home opener opponent - FLYERS...halloween colors in our building

12-13 home opener opponent - FLYERS...pumpkin puke part 3
^7^ is just defending his sport sheeps.. as Alcibiades the exiled Athenian rationalizes in his speech to the enemy Spartans, he wants to take revenge on Athens because he loves it and can't stand to see the state it's in now - Triumph
Posted Image Posted Image

#88 GoArmySports

GoArmySports

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,159 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 01:17 PM

FWIW I was at an event at Pru Center a few months ago and one of the Atlantic Division banners had been taken down.

#89 Colin226

Colin226

Hall of Famer

• Contributor
  • 6,210 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 01:52 PM

Yup it's annoying as hell.. Hopefully we can win one of these for a change

#90 DJ Eco

DJ Eco

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,531 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 03:01 PM

I don't know, the circumstances are so different this time around. We're only a handful of months removed from one of their most embarrassing playoff series in their team's history (up there with 2000). Any Flyer fan who is excited to be back at The Rock for hockey this time around should get their head examined...

#91 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,711 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 03:04 PM

This. People act like this isn't our 5th time winning the East. When was the last time we had a banner-raising celebration for it? We raise CUP banners. And only Cup banners.

iq0p.pngUploaded with ImageShack.com

#92 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,711 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 03:08 PM

It was an epic run, and they can acknowledge it by showing a video on the jumbotron. But you don't have any banner-raising ceremonies for banners that don't say 'Stanley Cup Champions'. Period, end of story.

#93 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,892 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 03:10 PM

This. People act like this isn't our 5th time winning the East. When was the last time we had a banner-raising celebration for it? We raise CUP banners. And only Cup banners.

VBK has more of a hand in those sorts of things now, so maybe the No Cup, No Banner Raising Ceremony policy will change. I suppose it won't be a huge deal so long as it isn't a whole production. I was at the Caps home opener in 2001 when they raised the Southeast Division Winner banner. They turned down the lights, played some inspirational type music and lifted the banner. It took all of one minute. Not that bad.
Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

#94 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,711 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 03:10 PM

Flyers and Canucks did it the last 2 years.. I see what you're saying but I guess I just disagree.. We'll see, Lou's a hard ass with this stuff so I'm not expecting anything

And the Flyers and Canucks have combined to win 0 Cups the last 38 years. I'd like to think our standards are a little higher here.

#95 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,258 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 03:15 PM

VBK has more of a hand in those sorts of things now, so maybe the No Cup, No Banner Raising Ceremony policy will change. I suppose it won't be a huge deal so long as it isn't a whole production. I was at the Caps home opener in 2001 when they raised the Southeast Division Winner banner. They turned down the lights, played some inspirational type music and lifted the banner. It took all of one minute. Not that bad.

lol that was cute of them.

#96 DevilMinder

DevilMinder

Owner / Administrator

• Admin
  • 9,047 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 03:15 PM

Like the smart way of thinking was ever associated with Philly fans, I am sure they will be there in the usual form.

#97 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,711 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 03:16 PM

The Caps, another winner franchise lmao. VBK isn't changing anything with regards to the banners, it's an organizational philosophy that Cups are what gets celebrated, and rightfully so. Again, fine to pay tribute to last year's run, and I expect them to, and I look forward to it. It'll be awesome to re-live it. But the banner will be hanging from the rafters when we walk in the door, of that I assure you.

#98 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,684 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 03:18 PM

Who really gives a crap? Either way the banner's going to be up there. We don't need a ceremony for winning the East.
"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#99 newarkdev01

newarkdev01

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 897 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 03:27 PM

I just want a quick video with us beating up on the flyers in the playoffs followed by a constant loop of Henrique's two OT goals...then I will proceed to get drunk =-)

Edited by newarkdev01, 11 January 2013 - 03:27 PM.

#100 Bullshockey247

Bullshockey247

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 70 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 04:22 PM

Looks like they play five games against the Flyers, and one of NYR/NYI; only see the Penguins 4x in the regular season.

Rob Rossi ‏@RobRossi_Trib

.@penguins play 5 apiece against @NYRangers @NYIslanders and 4 each against @NHLFlyers @NHLDevils #pens

Frank Seravalli ‏@DNFlyers
Flyers per league source: 5 v. NYR, NJ; 4 v. PIT, NYI; 5 East on road: WPG,MTL,TOR,BUF,TB; 5 East at home: BOS,OTT,FLA,CAR,WSH. H/H w/ othrs
Sources also confirm that there is no one left in Canada who can remember when hockey was a simple game, played for fun.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users