GDT: Predators @ Devils 7pm

Scottie2Hottie

Jagr's been great for that lockerroom, no question...I remember him having a rep as being moody back in the day, but he really to seems to love what he's doing...just seems so happy to be playing in the NHL at 41.  I like that he appears to be genuinely vested in the Devils turning this around...there's guys that definitely would've gone into "Let me bide my time here until I get moved to a contender" mode, and become aloof and disinteresed (a guy like Jagr knows he's going to get to play for a good team, as long as he's merely decent if he's stuck on a bad team).  But Jagr clearly gives it everything he's got.  If only he was a few years younger...I like what he brings to the Devils in all aspects. 

I don't think Marty ever needed much outside motivation, but I think Jagr's been good for just about everyone on the Devils.  Yeah, Marty and Jagr are probably good for each other. 

I don't think Jagr has the luxury of playing for a contender if he doesn't have a good season - if he's playing all the games and sitting at 30 points at the deadline, there's not going to be a ton of interest in him.  So while I'm not cynical about his motivations - I think he does like being here and is giving 100% to the team - he can't just pull an Arnott and wait until he gets the call.

I don't think Jagr has the luxury of playing for a contender if he doesn't have a good season - if he's playing all the games and sitting at 30 points at the deadline, there's not going to be a ton of interest in him.  So while I'm not cynical about his motivations - I think he does like being here and is giving 100% to the team - he can't just pull an Arnott and wait until he gets the call.

Arnott put up 4 goals and 5 assists in his last 30 GP as a Devil, and the Devils managed to get both a relatively young body and a second-round pick out of the Caps.  And if there was ever a guy who seemed like he was in "Counting down the days until I'm out of here" mode, it was Arnott. 

If Jagr tails off and winds up with 30 points at the deadline, and the Devils are sellers, I think there would be a contender willing to make a move for him...nothing great would be coming the other way (if Jagr was moved under the hypothetical "30 points at the deadline" scenario, and the Devils got a 3rd-rounder for him, I'd be overjoyed), but with his pedigree, kind of hard to think someone wouldn't take a shot at him.  Low cost, decent potential reward. 

The most exciting thing about holding them to 22 attempts is that they were trailing the whole damn game too. Normally teams get more aggressive. 

If the Devils can hold teams to 20 shots a game AND get the quality goaltending they have been, they are going to be winning more often than not very quickly 

I never buy into "we'll the other team is terrible" reasoning... if we consider ourselves a playoff contender we SHOULD be beating Nashville 5-0. Because that's exactly what we did, you can't take away from it.

And Carters hooking penalty or whatever it was was extremely questionable. Refs are always trying to give the losing team every opportunity to get on the pp and make the game interesting.

I was actually pleased the way we played in the 3rd... It was totally different from past games where we just ended terribly and couldn't close any game out.

Nashville has been on the road for a bunch of games in a row.. they looked slow to everything and weak on the puck

We did play well in the third, except for the penalities

He's on a 5-year deal...whenever he's healthy enough to return to the lineup, he's going to get a lot of chances.  But I hope those chances don't start to come until he's absolutely 100% healthy and ready to go.

A healthy Clowe will help this team. I don't know if or when that'll be though.

I don't think they wanted it to sound like an actual LGD chant.

I liked the new goal song and the crowd even found a somewhat clever way to incorporate "you suck" into it pretty seemlessly.

IDK about some people here but the crowd was pretty weak last night, though I am not surprised.  I was sitting in one of the balcony sections and I could hear individual fans yelling from the 200's as well as the lower level and even the refs/linesmen and players.  At one point the crowd went completely silent for about 2 seconds during play and I swear you could hear a pin drop.

I liked the new goal song and the crowd even found a somewhat clever way to incorporate "you suck" into it pretty seemlessly.

IDK about some people here but the crowd was pretty weak last night, though I am not surprised.  I was sitting in one of the balcony sections and I could hear individual fans yelling from the 200's as well as the lower level and even the refs/linesmen and players.  At one point the crowd went completely silent for about 2 seconds during play and I swear you could hear a pin drop.

I thought the crowd wasn't terrible. The YS chant was to be expected. Hopefully management can find a way to drown it out which shouldn't be too hard since the fans only have a split second to work it in to the song. But then again I'm right in front of the Crazies section. They're the ones who started it.

I thought the crowd wasn't terrible. The YS chant was to be expected. Hopefully management can find a way to drown it out which shouldn't be too hard since the fans only have a split second to work it in to the song. But then again I'm right in front of the Crazies section. They're the ones who started it.

Eh at this point you can't change a segment of fans who insist on chanting a childish chant after every goal.  I don't like it and wish it was gone 100% but at this point I think its impossible and just talking about it now is just beating a dead horse.  I don't like it, I don't participate in it and that's that.

The Crazies along with Diablos are just cliques.  For the past 2 years I have been purposely trying to get seats as far away as possible from them, even if it means spending a little extra $.

And for christ sake can someone just take those vuvuzela's away from the Diablos?  I was getting a headache from hearing those all night.

Nashville has been on the road for a bunch of games in a row.. they looked slow to everything and weak on the puck

We did play well in the third, except for the penalities

I know how bad Nashville played and he road trip and all that, and I believe that a team that fancies itself a playoff contender should beat them 5-0.

It's not like we barely squeaked by with a 1-0 win (which has too often been the case with this team)

To me we were due a dominant win even if it is against a bad team making a long road trip. In the very least it gives us something to build on going into a tough few games here.

And for christ sake can someone just take those vuvuzela's away from the Diablos?  I was getting a headache from hearing those all night.

I complain about the vuvuzelas every game and my friends laugh at me for it cause that damn instrument irks me so damn much.

I hated it ever since that South Africa World Cup where it became more popular....

"Great game overall. I felt that the Gelinas /Larsson pairing wasn't the greatest. Seemed like whenever the presa has Long offensive pressure, that pairing was on the ice. At least they are young."

As someone else pointed out it's not always the defencemen's fault the team is trapped in their own end. I think what's more important is how many scoring chances the other team gets while your hemmed in. I thought all the D pairings did a good job keeping the Predators to the outside or stuck behind the net while in the zone --- similar to what teams do to us sometimes.

Chico mentioned at one point that Zidlicky was playing his former team, and I thought who cares?  It's been about 10 years. It's crazy that when he broke in though he had Barry Trotz as a coach. He's been coaching the team since 1998! 

Eh at this point you can't change a segment of fans who insist on chanting a childish chant after every goal.  I don't like it and wish it was gone 100% but at this point I think its impossible and just talking about it now is just beating a dead horse.  I don't like it, I don't participate in it and that's that.

The Crazies along with Diablos are just cliques.  For the past 2 years I have been purposely trying to get seats as far away as possible from them, even if it means spending a little extra $.

I just don't understand why the YS chant can't wait until after the goal song.  Wait until play resumes before chanting that.  All the other mocking chants after a team scores don't happen until play resumes.

The guy who starts Bauman's chant in 233 has a really annoying voice.  I do like their enthusiasm though.  The Crazies are more of what fans are.  The Diablos are more of a cheering squad.

I actually wish there was another way they could do the "kill" chant.  Vuvuzelas suck.  I enjoy the Kill chant though.

I just don't understand why the YS chant can't wait until after the goal song.  Wait until play resumes before chanting that.  All the other mocking chants after a team scores don't happen until play resumes.

The guy who starts Bauman's chant in 233 has a really annoying voice.  I do like their enthusiasm though.  The Crazies are more of what fans are.  The Diablos are more of a cheering squad.

I actually wish there was another way they could do the "kill" chant.  Vuvuzelas suck.  I enjoy the Kill chant though.

The guy who does the Baumann chant in 233 is terrible at it.  Can barely hear him.

As for the 1 or 2 guys who do it in the Diablos, someone needs to tell them that its 1 time per game max.  Hearing it 1-3 times per period takes the novelty of it away.

Whatever happened to the actual Baumann?

I see him once in a while at the games.  He sits near section 21 or 22 when he does show up.  He was there for a decent number of games towards the end of the 11-12 season and did the chant every time he was there.

OMG Yes!

Believe it or not them doing it more than once a game pisses me off more than the YS chant and vuvuzela's combined.  That chant is a real tradition and they are slaughtering it.

I see him once in a while at the games.  He sits near section 21 or 22 when he does show up.  He was there for a decent number of games towards the end of the 11-12 season and did the chant every time he was there.

Believe it or not them doing it more than once a game pisses me off more than the YS chant and vuvuzela's combined.  That chant is a real tradition and they are slaughtering it.

There should only be one true Bauman's chant per game where the whole arena does it.  Fans in select sections shouldn't be starting it where only a 3rd of the arena participates.

I remember in 2012 during the Final in game 1, they gave a fan a microphone and put him on the jumbotron to start it.  It would be cool if they did that all the time and let a select random fan get the honors for each game.

Vuvuzelas suck so bad it's not even funny. It's like back in high school when someone would find it hilarious to have an airhorn during a pep rally in the school gym. Except that person was an a$$hole and it's not high school anymore. Loud noises for the sake of loud noises are not cool. Or maybe it's like when everyone learned to play the recorder in middle school. Either way it's loud and annoying and I think this is a spot where most fans agree.

And yeah, only 1 Baumann chant per game. Whenever it happens more than once, the subsequent attempts get lamer and lamer. Like the Rangers Suck whistle. First time it happens, it's loud, then it's quieter each time after. Unless we're playing the Rags.

• Like 1

Vuvuzelas suck so bad it's not even funny.

This x 10000000000000

I don't find use of these things clever, witty, or an enhancement of the game experience in the slightest.  I find them annoying as hell, and I REALLY hope they don't become a permanent part of the festivities.  I'm not a big fan of the "Kill" chant either (no reason in particular, just not a fan), but I'll very happily take the "Kill" chant by itself over the Kill chant being punctuated by the vulva-zelas.      

Btw I've now attended all 5 wins this season  :devil:

5-1-2 on the year

0-1 for me...took my daughter to the 1-0 Flyer loss.  Kinda sucked having to explain that it's really exciting to see a Devils goal, when it actually happens.

Almost took her again last night, but she's only 5 and it was a school night.  Might take her again this Friday...she's been to three games so far:  a 2-1 win over Dallas during the 10-11 season (she barely remembers it), the 5-2 retro jersey loss against the Pens, and the 1-0 Flyer loss.  I really want her to see some wins, and soon, before she wonders what the hell Daddy's thinking, trying to turn her into a Devils fan.